Crazyness

Wolfie2nd

Heres one for ya all. If you find yourself on County Line Rd in Lakewood at 4:00 on a Friday do yourself a favor pull over and call yourself a ride home.
Got a little turned around on my ride yesterday and let me tell you it was faking scary. Had a green light this guy looking dead in the eye just pulls out right in front of me. Just missed me. I should of just call the wife to pick me up like my gut was telling me when i realized where i was.
Take note no rules apply in that town. or maybe i was in the wrong? I'm pretty fresh to the road maybe 300 miles

just assume everyone is out to get you.
even if they aren't, they are.

sometimes i think they don't have a feel that you might be doing 20+
or it just doesn't register.

i was driving home today, and had to make a right. Had a cyclist next to me, so i backed off the gas, so he'd know i was letting him through the intersection.
car behind me honks. geez. oh, he was riding in the downpour, so kudos.

Lakewood sucks... I worked there a while. Those people have no clue how to drive, Don't trust your life with them.
I avoid that town at all costs.

Yeah it was absoulte crazyness! Just trying to get this garmin 705 on ebay so that sheet never happens again.
Felt like i was riding down death row

Last edited:
Well, my $0.02:

During the tourist season, avoid everything down here like the plague. Get up early and ride, as it is the only 'safe' time. During the late morning/afternoon, you have to worry about people speeding nowhere fast (traffic) to get to the beach, and late afternoon/evening/night, you have to worry about drunks.

IMO, the safest place to ride during the summer are the towns south of the Manasquan river--Point Pleasant, Bayhead, etc, through IBSP. The police pull over drivers for 2-3 MPH over, bad passes, the works, and aside from PPB and Bayhead, there are generous shoulders the whole way. Boring, but safe.

The north side of the inlet is okay around the same time, but that's farther (?) from you in Brick. The roads are much more cramped, though.

Once i get my bike back from the shop im going to only ride early mornings on the weekends. I suppose ill have to take your suggestion and throw my bike in the truck to get to my starting point.
I might look into trying to find a group ride that wouldn't mind taking in one more. Im sure i have some learning to do as well anyways.

Once i get my bike back from the shop im going to only ride early mornings on the weekends. I suppose ill have to take your suggestion and throw my bike in the truck to get to my starting point.
I might look into trying to find a group ride that wouldn't mind taking in one more. Im sure i have some learning to do as well anyways.

You should be able to find a cycling club with a ride of your level (whatever that is) in an area favorable to you. The Priceton Freewheelers are just one example of a cycling club; they have rides of various levels (based on avg speed on a given terrain) to choose from. A quick perusal of their ride list will let you see what is available and a short description of the ride. Just pick one out and show up. If you like it great! If not, no biggie, just try a different one.

If you don't have experience riding "pace line" you should avoid B+ and higher rides (at first) as those tend to utilize them.

D-

I got honked at twice in a single ride last week. Unbelievable, f road safety bicycling

During this time of the year early is best and make your way out towards the Manasquan Reservoir the roads towards that are more or less clear.
And depending on a left or right you can get a real nice loop in.
Also stay away from Point at all costs...

Haha that was my loop. But instead of heading back to herbertsville i made a right and missed my turn after the baseball fields. I was feeling good and wanted a few more miles so i figured id ride it out. Turn out i ended up in the danger zone o_O

Back
Top Bottom