Crazy Town Build

one piece crank

So I’m about to convert my favorite bike from SS to 1x. I originally built it with leftover 24” DH tires & rims, well before plus bikes became a thing. I’d swap DJ tires on it for the Alexandria Pump Track and also hit the Flemington indoor skatepark. Well, no more pump track, or skatepark, and although SS kept me fit for the past 10 years, it kinda kicks my butt these days. Modern clutch deraileurs and gear ratios have really changed things for the better, and can help me keep this beast as my do-everything bike.

Glory shot:
Scratch_build1.jpg

The rear end is currently 14x135, but can also take 10mm-bolt-on/10mm-thru, or bore the adaptors for 12mm thru. I’m kind leaning toward a 10mm thru with a Saint solid axle.

My big dilemma is what 1x kit to put on? I was looking at SRAM 1x11 (NX/GX) to get that 42T cog, but are there any advantages to going with an older 1x10 or 1x9?

Any suggestions?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
how does the derailleur get hung?
Is there a kit specific to that frame or is it generic?

i just put the 1x11gx on the fatbike. 42t is available in 9sp (got one on the old fatbike) - in case you have parts around to repurpose.
otherwise the cost jump isn't that much.

one piece crank

The frame has adaptors between axle and frame. The below photo shows the 14mm SS set-up. I've got a set for 10mm with a derailleur hanger.

Scratch_build5.jpg

mtbiker87

That set up on the 456 you bought from me was ace. Run one like that. I put xt 1x 11 on the Knolly and love that, but im not sure i would have bothered with that on the hardtail.

one piece crank

The hope SS rear hub says it has 7-speed freehub body. Could I mount the upper 7 cogs from a 10spd cassette, giving me a 1x7?

one piece crank

Looks like I could go with a SS hub, then use SRAM GX 7spd DH parts. Hmmmm, big question is will I be happy with 11-25T. My Fat Bike has 11-42, so I don’t think think this bike needs it...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Even if you did 14-28 or so you'd have good options for both road and hills as opposed to straight SS.

FYI, bolt on is annoying. I'm switching myself to the DTswiss 10mm skewer/through-axle-w-bolt or whatever it is just for the convenience factor.

one piece crank

Agreed. I’m going with 10mm thru, just need to figure out what lengths are available to fit my funky adaptors.

Big plus to 7spd, I don’t have to change out my BMX cranks!

one piece crank

Ok, just figured out the GX-DH 7spd cassette is 11spd spacing and chain, so I can't get a BMX chainring for my BMX cranks. This negates saving $'s on cranks, so going with a SS hub (7spd spacing) is a novelty. Guess I'm back at standard rear hub spacing, so at least that's decided and I can buy parts to build my wheel.

Going 1x10, or 1x11, or 1x7DH still up in the air...

one piece crank

Currently Profile cranks with a 19mm spindle, and one-piece 30T 1/8" sprocket/bash-ring. They'll go in the parts bin. New cranks will probably be RF Aeffect with 24mm spindle, then run a RF Cinch steel chainring. I already have a 24mm sealed American BB :)

one piece crank

The BB and crank options have me at a cross roads. Here is the Profile crankset (19mm spindle) in the American BB.
IMG_7144.JPG

The idea of an Aeffect crank to get a direct-mount chainring is losing ground. I think the shortest 24mm spindle expects outboard bearings, which means on this frame they would typically be where you see that tapered aluminum spacer (red arrow). I'll measure and pull some Raceface cranks off the fleet, but I think I need to stick with Profle on this one - which leaves me searching for a 11-spd-compatible BMX chainring.

Once the cranks are resolved I'll order Onyx rear hub!

Last edited:

one piece crank

So right after I created this thread I threw the Scratch back together as a 24/26 rigid SS. That's really where it belongs, except I may go back to 24/24, or build a Freecoaster 26" rear wheel. All back burner stuff as I have way too many bike projects in the works. However, I recently found Pip's explanation for this frame's 2nd prototype. I love this bike! Old Banshee's rule!

Banshee Scratch

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 9.34.07 AM.png
sss

Top Bottom