Crazy Land Rover test

The Kalmyk

interesting, but kinda stupid at least from a marketing persepective, i mean who buys a modern land rover and takes it off road???

Not many. Whether to others or to themselves, most like to say, “ My car can do X”. Thats the psychology behind this marketing; showcase capability.

How many Ferrari’s will never be driven to max or close to max?

So I don’t think they are far off from the marketing of other car companies.

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you have a valid point, however people who shop for landrovers in the recent past dont look at the car and say 'o i want something capable of going off road (mudding, rock crawling fording streams/rivers ect)'

the land rover crowd is more into 'i want something big and comfy that i can easily drive to the shop when everything on it breaks'

the crowd that is interested in off roading is mostly buying wranglers (at least based on what i see)

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
you have a valid point, however people who shop for landrovers in the recent past dont look at the car and say 'o i want something capable of going off road (mudding, rock crawling fording streams/rivers ect)'

the land rover crowd is more into 'i want something big and comfy that i can easily drive to the shop when everything on it breaks'

the crowd that is interested in off roading is mostly buying wranglers (at least based on what i see)

Come on. Not everyone does this with a two day old LR?

lr2.JPGlr22.JPG

Of course, now it belongs to my son and his only trip off road was when he slid off the road in the snow.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
no not usually with the new ones, the brand has ended up going a different direction. . .

the most off road most of them see is big puddles in the mall parking lots . . .

I Ride Bikes

I used to do a lot of off roading in trucks when I was younger and the first thing I thought when I saw this is how it transitioned the landings on the stairs. I'm pretty sure that thing doesn't have anywhere near a 45 degree approach or departure angle to be able to get on the stairs yet alone the ground clearance to avoid getting high centered. I know it's just a commercial that's edited but just something I thought about when I first saw it.

The Kalmyk

When I saw this particaulr piece of marketing it didn’t strike me that they were selling the off road buyer. Prior knowledge of Range Rover and who they target is already established

don

Watch this hybrid Range Rover drive up an insane 45-degree angle staircase

Scary just seeing it. In other order of things, I don't think they should lend historic monuments/constructions for this kind of stuff. I'd guess the stairs have to suffer some damage from a big SUV digging and grabbing to get up the steps.

I totally agree. It is really impressive seeing that RR climb the steps but I was thinking of the impact it could have. Especially at the end when it seems to high center on the top. I was also wondering how the heck it got down! My guess is heli lifted out of there.

don

Not many. Whether to others or to themselves, most like to say, “ My car can do X”. Thats the psychology behind this marketing; showcase capability.

How many Ferrari’s will never be driven to max or close to max?

So I don’t think they are far off from the marketing of other car companies.

There are a lot of things that I hate that JLRNA does but I have to say their commitment to making their vehicles perform well off road is not one of them (The L405 has a wading dept of 36"!)

What is great about this is the 1st round of users/buyers don't use them for off road but I've seen a lot of the 2nd or 3rd owners building them up and using them. I've seen lots of Discovery 1's and 2's on the trail and now a lot more LR3/LR4s. The L320 Range Rover Sport's are starting to be modified as they share parts with the LR3/LR4. Main Line Overland had one at VOR last fall that was really impressive looking and I heard it performed very well off road (for some reason I cannot find a link to the build).

BTW - I was in Vermont this weekend and drove my wife's L405 Range Rover as my truck was in the shop. Driving to the house I had no trouble getting thru the couple inches of snow on basically ice even on street tires. A Toyota van in a nearby house couldn't make it 10 feet. It was no Rubican trail but little things like that help sell Land/Range Rovers.

don

I used to do a lot of off roading in trucks when I was younger and the first thing I thought when I saw this is how it transitioned the landings on the stairs. I'm pretty sure that thing doesn't have anywhere near a 45 degree approach or departure angle to be able to get on the stairs yet alone the ground clearance to avoid getting high centered. I know it's just a commercial that's edited but just something I thought about when I first saw it.

Here's how he got onto the steps:

It looks like they made a platform and a couple of wedges to get on more easily.

Top Bottom