Cranks Around the Campfire Ride Aug 22-24 2014

DanBrodeen

We'd like to hold a planning meeting for Cranks Around the Campfire soon. Anyone who'd like to volunteer please PM me. We believe that with such a strong biking community in NJ we could work together to establish one of the best mt biking weekends in the country!

Please use this thread to make any suggestions of what you'd like to see at this year's event.

woody

Hi Dan, I agree that this event could/should be huge, and I think some brainstorming here will help make that happen.

Here are 3 oddball suggestions that I think might help you move things in the right direction. Feel free to slap me down if I'm off my rocker, which is rather likely.

1) Change your screen name. (Why the heck is this dude from Oregon putting on an event in NJ? Oh, there's a Portland in PA? Still...)

2) Change your location to Allamuchy NJ. Local cred, see above.

3) Change the name of the event. There's just something unappealing about "Cranks Around the Campfire". Perhaps start a Cranks Renaming Contest thread and let the masses come up with the best name.

Looking forward to attending "the event" this year!
Maybe I'll chime in with actual useful suggestions between now and then...

DanBrodeen

Sure, changing my name is fine. I don't even live there anymore. Not sure about the festival changing it's name. This is the fourth year and it seems most people like the name. I'm open to change but I'd have to get a consensus that it's not a good title for then event. Maybe Norm if you read this change my name to DanBrodeen. That's easy and probably won't change ;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not here, but I'm thinking that you should change it to something like Mooch Racing or the like. And while your avatar is Cranks specific I think it blends into the noise too much.

Change the festival to Woody Smells a Skunk.

DanBrodeen

All events will be under Jersey Rocks name so perhaps that would be appropriate. Maybe JerseyRocksRacing?

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I loved the event last year even though there weren't a ton of people. Slept in the tent and did some fun rides. I hope more people come this time, I feel less scared of the dark with some peeps!!

zip

Please lets not worry about trivial things like someones screen name.
I think the name "Cranks Around the Campfire " is creative, descriptive, and appropriate for the event. Especially considering all bikes have cranks (except those bikes the little kids learn on) and Allamuchy is a perfect place to have a campfire!
I would like to attend the meeting and volunteer to help.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I missed this last year because of a stupid wedding! Had a great time the year before and should be back this year.

bozizle

I showed up last year and live around the corner from the camp site. Please let me know what I can do and PM me if you need anything. I would like to help out in anyway that I can.

DanBrodeen

Cranks Meeting

Hello fellow mountain bikers,

I’m reaching out to you in hopes you would like to help with this year’s Cranks Around the Campfire Mountain Biking Festival at the Mt. Allamuchy Scout Reservation. The festival will be 3 days long starting Friday August 22nd and ending Sunday August 24th. This will be the 5th year that we’ve held Cranks. Cranks was initially started to fill the void that was left when the 24 Hours of Allamuchy was cancelled in 2010. As much as that race is missed we feel that a camping weekend captures the vibe that made the 24HOA so great but without all the pressure of riding your bike until you are incapacitated. The event is all about riding with friends both old and new, sharing stories around the campfire while enjoying your favorite brew, and bringing the whole family along to enjoy the experience. The camp has all the facilities, staff, and geographic location to be one of the best Mt biking weekends in the country.

Next Wednesday the 25th at 7pm I’d like to invite you all to the camp to plan this year’s
event. The best way for this to be an event that represents the mt biking community is to have it organized by a group of people that represent the different personalities of the community. Input from coaches, racers, trail builders, parents of young riders, etc. will help make this an event everyone will enjoy.

The address is 750 Waterloo Road, Stanhope, NJ 07874. The meeting will take place in the camp’s dining hall located on the lake. It’s the first building on the left. Park in the main lot.

Please reply in this thread if you will be attending.
Thanks!

Molasses

Being up in VT as I type this attending NEMBA Fest i can tell you I am very, very excited about this event in August!!!

DanBrodeen

Registration is open!

Cranks Around the Campfire Mt Biking Festival
August 22-24th 2014

• CAMPING WITH FREE FIREWOOD!
  • GUIDED GROUP RIDES
  • PROFESSIONALLY SUPERVISED KIDS ACTIVITIES THAT COINCIDE WITH GROUP RIDES
  • CLEAN MODERN FACILITES INCLUDING HOT PRIVATE SHOWERS
  • CLINICS
  • CONTESTS
  • BEACH PARTY BBQ SATURDAY NIGHT
  • BIKE THEMED MOVIE NIGHT
  • BIKE POLO

Activities for the whole family: fishing, swimming, hiking, geo-caching, ATV experience, and much more!

Back for its 5th edition is the Cranks Around the Campfire Mt Biking Festival Weekend! Northwest New Jersey is the place to be for a long weekend of mountain biking action! Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced rides will be offered twice a day and will explore the diverse terrain of Allamuchy, Stephens, and Deer Park. There will be activities all weekend for the whole family with children's activities scheduled to enable parents to join the group rides!

Mt Allamuchy Scout Reservation is the ideal spot for the festival. Just minutes from Rt. 80, the camp is easy to get to and at the same time located on a 900 acre parcel of forest that has been preserved for decades under the ownership of the BSA. The camp is easily navigated by forest road and all campsites can be accessed by car. The campsites are group style so you can pitch your tent wherever you like. You are free to choose seculusion or form a tent city with all your riding buddies.

The camp is located in the center of Allamuchy North, Stephens, and Deer Park Mountain biking trail networks. Riders can access Allamuchy North directly from camp. Stephens is across the street from us and Deer Park just a couple minutes down the road by bike. Cranks is a great opportunity to learn new trails in these 3 parks. In addition to all the singletrack in the 3 parks, our camp contains miles of singletrack and jeep roads to explore. There are trails for every age and skill level. Join us for night rides each night on the reservation. We will have some lights to borrow provided by sponsor Princeton Tec.

Many off-the-bike events are planned for the whole family. Head to the dining hall Friday night for a double feature mtb movie night. On Saturday night grab your favorite beverage and join your fellow campers for a Beach Party BBQ at the waterfront. There will be free Hotdogs and Hamburgers. After the party, chill out at the bonfire. Children can experience the outdoors with camp staff participating in group rides, nature hikes, fishing, geo-caching, handicrafts, waterfront activities, and much more. The waterfront will be open for swimming at select times. We will also be offering our popular ATV Experience for youths and adults looking to learn to ride ATVs.

The festival benefits youth mountain biking programs at the Mt. Allamuchy Scout Reservation. Last summer the BSA added mt biking as part of the cycling merit badge. We are proud to offer that merit badge for the first time this summer. Each summer Camp Somers introduces at least a hundred kids to the sport of mountain biking. Each youth by the end of the week is cruising singletrack in Allamuchy and Stephens State Parks. Help us expand our program to offer this opportunity to both Scouts and the general public on weekends throughout the non-summer months.

Admission to the festival is free for children under 18 years old. Please no pets on reservation property. If you'd like to bring a small RV please contact us to make arrangements. We have water and electric hookups.

Save money and register online!

Online registration ends August 20th. Day of registration available. All participants must sign in upon arrival and sign waiver and pick up parking permit.

Under 18 always free with registered paying adult!?

Online Registraton Here

FEES:

Weekend Camping $50 (includes free firewood) (Day of $60)
Weekend Day Pass $30 (Day of $40)
Day Pass Friday $10 Saturday and Sunday $15

Still have questions? Please contact us anytime! We look forward to hearing from you.

https://www.bikereg.com/cranks-around-the-campfire

rayder

My sister has a toddler and is curious if there are any cabins on the campground that are available

Top Bottom