cost of college

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
some details on filling the race section of the college app
https://blog.collegevine.com/faq-about-the-race-ethnicity-section-of-the-common-application/

seems like it would have been beneficial for my spouse to have had an affair with The Rock and then have a genetic test to prove it

My nephew is as white as you can be. However his paternal grandparents were Cuban. He’s applying now too. Similar grades to my son. However on the couple of schools that overlapped he was offered $3k more per year. However at umass my son heard back right away with a decent offer, but my nephew hasn’t heard anything. My wife keeps telling my sister that they probably hit there Hispanic quota, but who knows.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
McDaniel College in Maryland offers an Educator’s Legacy Scholarship For Children of K12 Educators and Community College Full-time Employees, $100,000. No limit on number of students. A friend of mine has a son who is doing this, seems like a great deal.

https://www.mcdaniel.edu/undergraduate/admissions/apply/educators-legacy-scholarship

my neighbor's kid went to mcdaniel and almost drank himself to death! he switched to rutgers and was fine - go figure that one out!!!
of course that can happen anywhere.

qclabrat

Found this book a good guide to start with. Those with freshman and sophomore will find it a good way to stay connected to the process.
MVIMG_20180208_225236.jpg

qclabrat

Anything in that book for children of bicycle shop owners?
don't think so, unless you've sunk your kid's saving in the business and qualify for needs based...
However, one of the best ones to look into are the military scholarships, there are many out there with varying associations to the armed services.

qclabrat

engineering open house at Syracuse today, I liked the campus, kid thought it was just okay
IMG_20180414_124409.jpg

Lehigh was last week, wife liked it, but I was meh
IMG_20180407_141958.jpg

No one liked Northeastern, great school though
MVIMG_20180402_114941.jpg

Kid's favorite still UMass, nice campus location and the 5 college consortium with Amhert, Smith, Mt Holyoke and Hampshire is very attractive
MVIMG_20180331_125000.jpg

Next week is RPI

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
My son really liked Syracuse until he saw Pitt. UMass would have cost us the least of any school based on what they offered, but the only thing my son remembered about the place was that they are supposed to have the best food of any college.

They problem with these one day visits is that if the weather was crap, we tended to not like the school. If the weather was great when we visited, everything seemed much better.

Is your daughter a junior or senior? Seniors only have two weeks left to decide.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
engineering open house at Syracuse today, I liked the campus, kid thought it was just okay
View attachment 67144

Lehigh was last week, wife liked it, but I was meh
View attachment 67145

No one liked Northeastern, great school though
View attachment 67146

Kid's favorite still UMass, nice campus location and the 5 college consortium with Amhert, Smith, Mt Holyoke and Hampshire is very attractive
View attachment 67147

Next week is RPI

I was at Lehigh for grad school, and I remember my dad took my younger sister to visit the campus as she was trying to choose a school. I met up with them afterward and I distinctly remember knowing instantly that she wouldn't be going there. Not because she didn't like it, but because my dad was actually angry at the amount of steps he had to climb on the tour. The thing that always struck me about that place for undergrads - and I don't know if this is still the case now - was that if you weren't interested being part of the Greek system, you were kind of SOL for so much of campus life. They didn't guarantee housing for anyone beyond freshman year, and the apartments along Packer Ave were all houses that required five other roommates. It was and still is a really good school, but socially, at the time I was there, it was pretty much Greek life or nothing.

qclabrat

My son really liked Syracuse until he saw Pitt. UMass would have cost us the least of any school based on what they offered, but the only thing my son remembered about the place was that they are supposed to have the best food of any college.

They problem with these one day visits is that if the weather was crap, we tended to not like the school. If the weather was great when we visited, everything seemed much better.

Is your daughter a junior or senior? Seniors only have two weeks left to decide.
Junior, we got time
I heard the same about Pitt, everyone loves the campus. But the school needs to have an Architecture program and engineering. There aren't many in this area with both. Carnegie Mellon fits but no way would she get in

qclabrat

I was at Lehigh for grad school, and I remember my dad took my younger sister to visit the campus as she was trying to choose a school. I met up with them afterward and I distinctly remember knowing instantly that she wouldn't be going there. Not because she didn't like it, but because my dad was actually angry at the amount of steps he had to climb on the tour. The thing that always struck me about that place for undergrads - and I don't know if this is still the case now - was that if you weren't interested being part of the Greek system, you were kind of SOL for so much of campus life. They didn't guarantee housing for anyone beyond freshman year, and the apartments along Packer Ave were all houses that required five other roommates. It was and still is a really good school, but socially, at the time I was there, it was pretty much Greek life or nothing.
Popular question, they are over 50% Greek, which is more by a long shot than the other schools I visited. They apparently have fixed the housing issue. So now they guarantee everyone 4 years of on site dorms

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Showed it to the Mrs. Would have been on it, but she and the kid had no interest. She's currently in Fort Worth having Vietnamese food....:rolleyes:

i bet there is either a food club, or culture specific clubs that could tell you where the best of any ethnic food might be.
there used to be a telephone number at the school that you could call, and they would look up anything....

if you want steak, go north to logjam in queensbury - 45 minutes.
if you want 5-star, go to friend's lake inn, chestertown(?), 1:10 - they also have very good casual dining in the bar area
Bennington isn't that far of a drive
Saratoga has a number of nice places, also not that far
I'm just so disconnected from Troy, and my brother is not a foodie (mostly cause he has no sense of smell)

The Squirrel

The problem with these one-day visits is that if the weather was crap, we tended to not like the school. If the weather was great when we visited, everything seemed much better.

Oh, god, the day of the RPI open house the weather was so crappy and on top of it I came down with the flu ON THE DRIVE UP! I was so miserable that I didn't care where the hell he went.

Top Bottom