cost of college

We are now talking up Rutgers as the benchmark, instead of using it as a "safe" school. I think too many parents start that way. "If you don't get into ....... at least you have Rutgers as a back up". We are try to change it around, "if you don't get into Rutgers you have RVCC as backup".
When we grow up in NJ we don't give Rutgers the credit it deserves as a legit university. The familiarity and fact that its in our back yard must dull the appeal. For me that perspective didn't change until I was there for a semester or two. When you start to meet out of state and international students who chose it as a destination school and get to know some of the professors in your program, it opens your eyes. Then you graduate and run into successful alumni all around the NY metro area.

And here's Pitt's big offer (so far):

Financial Aid Award Year Offer Amount

Federal UnSubsidized Loan 01 5,500.00
Total Award $5,500.00

When we grow up in NJ we don't give Rutgers the credit it deserves as a legit university. The familiarity and fact that its in our back yard must dull the appeal. For me that perspective didn't change until I was there for a semester or two. When you start to meet out of state and international students who chose it as a destination school and get to know some of the professors in your program, it opens your eyes. Then you graduate and run into successful alumni all around the NY metro area.

Does Rutgers really have a bad perception? As far as science goes, I don't get it. Its fairly difficult to get into, and when I was going, companies like Merck, Pfizer, J&J, Sanofi, etc. had internship programs and were actively recruiting graduates. This is how most of my friends and I found our first jobs. The career placement office aggressively pimped you out as well The pre-Med and pre-Vet programs were pretty competitive to boot, if you went that way. If you were studying science and wanted to get into big pharma, it was a no-brainer. You had a better shot than more "prestigious" schools at the time. I can't imagine any of this has changed, probably only gotten better.

Does Rutgers really have a bad perception? As far as science goes, I don't get it. Its fairly difficult to get into, and when I was going, companies like Merck, Pfizer, J&J, Sanofi, etc. had internship programs and were actively recruiting graduates. This is how most of my friends and I found our first jobs. The career placement office aggressively pimped you out as well The pre-Med and pre-Vet programs were pretty competitive to boot, if you went that way. If you were studying science and wanted to get into big pharma, it was a no-brainer. You had a better shot than more "prestigious" schools at the time. I can't imagine any of this has changed, probably only gotten better.
No disagreements on hiring company perceptions of Rutgers. Maybe it's the size of NJ and proximity to home which makes it unattractive to some. It was one of the reasons I didn't attend myself. I know from PA colleagues at work that it's not the same for Penn St. My wife went to Rutgers and she's a hell of a lot more intelligent than me, having graduated top ten in HS. She was boarder line ivy material but knew aid would not cover what she could afford. Rutgers got her an internship for 4 yrs and a job right afterwards. Nothing wrong with RU. New game plan is to shower praises towards Rutgers, which will allow for a 718 in the garage.

I should clarify, I don't think Rutgers has a perception issue outside of how NJ high schoolers look at it. And its so damn big even that might be limited to certain schools at Rutgers, I do remember having friends that were pumped to be entering the business school or engineering program.

For those of us who were less academically motivated, Rutgers simply isn't a very glamorous choice compared to alternatives with better weather, ski mountains, California beaches, etc

I always thought that Rutgers move to the Big Ten would notch up their in and out of state cred. Personally, I felt it was a very good school and had a lot to offer, a little dingy (barracks-like), but I was only weighing the education. I think our son didn't like the proximity to home, ie: the farther away from parents the better.

Yes. But I don't really consider $5500/yr towards $50k/year "AID."
This is not "Aid" it's a federal loan. You have to pay it back with interest. Almost everyone qualifies for this. I still can't believe they are allowed to list this as aid. The only plus is that it's in the students name so they have to pay it back. :)

I always thought that Rutgers move to the Big Ten would notch up their in and out of state cred. Personally, I felt it was a very good school and had a lot to offer, a little dingy (barracks-like), but I was only weighing the education. I think our son didn't like the proximity to home, ie: the farther away from parents the better.
That's why my daughter chose Northeastern, could have gone to Rutgers almost free. Boston was a big draw (that and the fact that she could get us to pay for some of it).:mad:

I guess if I had that choice I would have bolted for Boston too. :)

This is not "Aid" it's a federal loan. You have to pay it back with interest. Almost everyone qualifies for this. I still can't believe they are allowed to list this as aid. The only plus is that it's in the students name so they have to pay it back. :)

I know. I knew he would qualify for that. Still trying to figure out how much of his skin needs to be in this game to keep him motivated vs. just being stressed.

I went to art college which is the same as clown college.

Graduated in 2003 and I'm still like 17gs in the hole. At least the end is in sight now, but fuck.

Not having kids but if I did, They can pay for their own damn college like I did.

Ive been reading some on parents putting too much emphasis on their kids happiness.
I may sound naive, but wtf... Setting realistic expectations is a priority for me. Sorry kids...I'm not cashing in my 401k so you can get wasted on the west coast for 4 years.

You want it, make it happen. Pay for your own education if what is provided for you isn't enough. College doesn't have to end when you get a job. Plenty of companies will pay for that master's or PhD.

I'm sure there's a chance If I read this in 10 years and I'm like " haha idiot, you had no idea".

Ive been reading some on parents putting too much emphasis on their kids happiness.
^Truth, it costs a gazillion to raise kids nowadays. Between all the lessons (dance, sports, music, tutoring, etc) the cost is really ridiculous even if attending public school. When all their peers are doing the same its hard not to follow. Not sure if they are happier at the end, but most of my friend's kids, didn't really continue dancing, sports or music after HS. Apparently if you factor in college it's over a half M for each kid. Glad we stopped with 2, we had originally planned for 3.
https://patch.com/new-jersey/prince...e-child-new-jersey-new-government-study-shows

^Truth, it costs a gazillion to raise kids nowadays. Between all the lessons (dance, sports, music, tutoring, etc) the cost is really ridiculous even if attending public school. When all their peers are doing the same its hard not to follow. Not sure if they are happier at the end, but most of my friend's kids, didn't really continue dancing, sports or music after HS. Apparently if you factor in college it's over a half M for each kid. Glad we stopped with 2, we had originally planned for 3.
https://patch.com/new-jersey/prince...e-child-new-jersey-new-government-study-shows

It could be worse, my kid could be Asian. :eek: My son's two friends are both Asian, ranked at the top of the class with great grades and are waitlisted/deferred everywhere except Rutgers. My son has 7 acceptance letters with lower grades, though he was not forced to shoot for Ivy league.

Back
Top Bottom