cool weather pants

qclabrat

what do you wear for cool weather Mtb pants? When really cold, I just wear ski gear, but between 40 and 30, which is where our winter averages and don't have any good gear. I'll usually layer tights or bike shorts with a poly shell for pants. It looks fairly ghetto, need some pro advice

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wear my regular summer shorts with knee high ski socks down to about 35. If colder, I wear Under Armor cold gear tights under my regular summer shorts. I also have thin wind breaker shell pants, but they only come out when it's less than 15ish I think.

ilnadi

I have a pair of pants that is windproof with a bit of fleece in the front, just Lycra in the back. It covers and amazing range of temps. too old to remember where I bought them...

Karate Monkey

I'm usually okay with tights down to about 40 in the woods. If I have to ride there, or am riding on the road, I use some Craft XC ski pants that I got on closeout from REI. The front panel is a hardshell (like rain shell weight) with a light knit back--the back panel is a 200 weight fleece. They're perfect by themselves (with regular shorts underneath) down to around freezing-ish.

qclabrat

I'm usually okay with tights down to about 40 in the woods. If I have to ride there, or am riding on the road, I use some Craft XC ski pants that I got on closeout from REI. The front panel is a hardshell (like rain shell weight) with a light knit back--the back panel is a 200 weight fleece. They're perfect by themselves (with regular shorts underneath) down to around freezing-ish.
that sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Anything that works ... The only problem with wearing jeans if you are riding off-road is if they get wet or muddy. That can get really annoying, especially if they start to stretch out a bit and keep getting caught on your saddle. Otherwise, if it's dry enough, why not? In fact, jeans makes a lot more sense to me than what @JimN said above - the summer shorts with knee high socks. That's kind of the opposite of what you want to do for long term knee health - because your knees are the only thing not covered there. Cold weather is not good for knees. You're far better off wearing knee warmers or knickers and lower socks. As a rule of thumb, I look at it as anytime I would want to have a long-sleeve base layer or arm warmers, I'm also using knee warmers or wearing knickers. I'll use knickers all the way down to below 30 - as long as my knees are covered, I'm fine with exposed shins until it gets really, really cold. I use tights and knickers interchangeably in most cold weather -- whatever I have that's clean is what I'll use on a ride. The only exception is if it's raining. In rain, I cover everything with waterproof layers. Rain is okay, and cold is okay, but rain and cold together can spell disaster. Oh, and often times I'll go with tights at Wharton, but not because of cold -- the tights at least marginally help with the cheese grater feeling on some of the brush there on your shins.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wear cross country ski pants because they are the same as MTB pants minus about 50 dollars.

I wear my bike pants when xc skiing.

In fact, jeans makes a lot more sense to me than what @JimN said above - the summer shorts with knee high socks. That's kind of the opposite of what you want to do for long term knee health - because your knees are the only thing not covered there. Cold weather is not good for knees.

Cold weather doesn't bother my knees (so far). I wear Under Armor when it actually gets cold, but they are too warm when it's in in the 40's. Knee warmers might work, but I feel like they would just be uncomfortable and I would take them off. I do use arm warmers occasionally when I can't decide if I need a real base layer up top, or when it's gonna be cold at the start of the ride but then warm up some.

gtluke

The Moped
I often complain about how much I hate putting on cold weather pants for riding. Arm warmers, thermal jersey, jacket, wool socks. Whatever, doesn't bother me. When i have to put on the god damn pants I just don't want to ride my bike. Something is just uncomfortable and annoying about any kind of legging. TOO HOT, TOO COLD, ANNOYING. I think it's because if you start your bike ride with them on it's pretty much impossible to take them off. Unless you are Vreeland on the beach.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Cold weather doesn't bother my knees (so far). I wear Under Armor when it actually gets cold, but they are too warm when it's in in the 40's. Knee warmers might work, but I feel like they would just be uncomfortable and I would take them off. I do use arm warmers occasionally when I can't decide if I need a real base layer up top, or when it's gonna be cold at the start of the ride but then warm up some.

It's the "so far" that concerns me. You don't want to find out that the research is right the hard way. Granted, from what I've read some people claim to never have an issue, but I tend to wonder if that's more of a "boiling frog" result than anything else. You know how they say that if you drop a frog in boiling water it'll jump right out, but if you put him in room temperature water and then slowly bring it to a boil, he'll stay in it until he dies. I think this is the same thing with people who claim no impact from cold weather on their knees and joints. I think the impact occurs slowly over time and their level of expectation in what they can do changes with it, so they think they're unaffected, when in fact they not only lose functionality, but they lose the expectation of functionality as well. It only makes sense -- your knees use synovial fluid, which doesn't function 100% efficiently in cold.

So seriously -- think about covering your knees even if you don't feel like you absolutely need it. It can't hurt, but the alternative can.

On another note, based on this thread, I was just doing some searching on prices for winter gear. Man, there is quite a range out there! You can get pretty cheap stuff from some of the more wholesale or larger online places (like Performance or REI), or you can go full douchebag with high end stuff from Rapha or (the absolute pinnacle of unnecessary expense that I would nonetheless fork over some money to have if I found an extra couple hundred bucks lying around), Kitsbow. As far as I can tell, these are as much about style as function - the Williams-Sonoma of the cycling world. But damn if their stuff doesn't look good! And I'm sure it's great to use - I actually have a pair of Smartwool knee warmers I got for Xmas a few years ago and they're really, really nice. But I prefer to use my super-cheap Adidas ones when I am doing longer rides precisely because they aren't made as well: the elastic at the top of the Smartwool ones is as good as new while the Adidas pair is frayed and loose. But my quads are thick (because ... SS!) so I prefer the looser feel when I'm out all day. The cheaper stuff works fine in my experience, so there is no need to spend that money, but if you're looking at Rapha, Assos and/or Kitsbow gear, "bargain-hunting " is probably not your primary focus anyway.

Edit: BTW, here's an insider tip for ways to get some great gear at a discount: contact Twin Six about being on their Metal Crew. I was a part of the Metal Crew for years and one of the perks is a discount on everything you buy. Twin Six is based out of Minneapolis and they make some pretty awesome functional winter gear -- their knickers and tights are extremely well made and comfortable and their baggy 3/4 shorts are great for everything from commuting to taking yoga classes (super stretchy and they don't bunch up, which is exactly the opposite of me when it comes to yoga.) They make almost everything in both summer and winter weight, too, and the fit is consistent. I think the only requirement to join the Metal Crew is that you sign up and represent them by actually using the gear. You don't have to race or any of that. You just have to be into riding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom