Conti tubeless advice

jpn

I'm an idiot. I know Contis are very difficult to set up tubeless. Was brain dead when I bought two x king 2.4s over winter from Jenson when they had good sale.

Tried mounting them last week. Bead sets, but won't "glue" on. air is weeping out at numerous spots on sidewalls and tread.

Used 4 oz of Serfas tire medic in each tire. Rims are 10 yr old bontrager mustang osb with gorilla tape and stans valves. Rims have been set up for 5 years this way and I have had good success with wtb, Kenda and maxxis tires set up tubeless.

So, should I try again, maybe with Stan's and some fine glitter or am I fighting a losing battle with the Continental tires?

Non-tubeless (folding) Continentals, in particular, are very porous, and may never seal at all, especially around the fabric of the bead, which is not rubber coated. You might try using latex mold builder, applied with a brush to the inside of the tire to help seal it.

This is all conjecture, by the way. You didn't note if the tires were tubeless or not, but I assumed, given your issues with them.

I have conti mtn king. Protection. Not see if they are tubeless ready. stans kinda worked. The conti tubeless sealant works much better for me. I am running them on American tubeless ready rims.

Yes I soaped the bead sidewall, did the stans shake, took em up to 60 pounds.

Bead seemed seated good.

Had white foam pouring out from bead and sidewall and tread. Flat overnite

giphy.gif

Keep at it and they may seal up. I had some mountain kings that pissed out stans for days. They are really porous. Try closer to 30-40psi so don't stretch it as much. Try laying the wheel evenly on its side for awhile to let the sealant work into the sidewalls. Re-inflate, flip, repeat. Riding on them will also help.

Got some Stan's race stuff.

Gonna try that.

Otherwise, it's on to plan B

Seriously?

Interior latex paint?

I do this and my wife sees me, I'll end up painting the whole house!

Try using the conti brand sealant, that worked for me when stans didn't, or go to maxxis, super easy to set up tubeless every time, first time

Ok.

will try that. Roller or brush?

Thanks!
that does not matter, you need really thin cover.

regarding conti brand sealant, I like it more but sometimes it does not stick to brand new conti tires.

conti had known issues with their tubeless tire casing. they would set up but bleed air and go flat with in 24 hours. if they dont set up after a 1 or 2 attempts just have them replaced. conti is aware of the issue.

Haven't read through all the responses, but are they tubeless ready? Contis do suck, but you'll get there. Don't use the race sealant or you'll have a booger in 24hrs with how porous they are. What I did with a set of mine is wipe Stans into the inside of the tire with a rag to kind of condition it, then go about that usual method. Most important thing is to just ride it as soon as filling so the sealant gets everywhere. Maybe go up to 4oz of Stans too. I think I used 2oz my first run with Contis and after a month or two was left with almost nothing in the tire. Even the latex seemed to have seeped out. 60psi is pretty high for mountain tires. I usually go 40 or less for seating and holding overnight.

Back
Top Bottom