Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Scenario 2 Trust FDA so it's with the extra bucks

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Scenario 2 Disclamier is good enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Kalmyk

Scenario 1

You walk into your LBS and see two new energy source products side by side. As a conscious buyer you look a little deeper.

Similarities- Ingredient, total weight of packaged product, portion size, price, packaging (minus differentiated label), science study, field study (same subjects)

Differences- Company and FDA label

Scenario 2

Same as scenario 1 but FDA approved product is $5 more

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
There is no pre-approval required for dietary supplements, they're not drugs. You do have to have some sort of scientific basis for making claims though. Most smaller companies make outrageous claims anyway, with the only penalty being if the FDA busts your balls, you need to revise the label and remove the claims. You can say what you want in advertising also until the FDA tells you to shut it down, or a competitor sues you. And from a manufacturing perspective, the FDA usually doesn't waste their time auditing your facility unless your one of the big players.

The Kalmyk

There is no pre-approval required for dietary supplements, they're not drugs. You do have to have some sort of scientific basis for making claims though. Most smaller companies make outrageous claims anyway, with the only penalty being if the FDA busts your balls, you need to revise the label and remove the claims. You can say what you want in advertising also until the FDA tells you to shut it down, or a competitor sues you. And from a manufacturing perspective, the FDA usually doesn't waste their time auditing your facility unless your one of the big players.

So having an FDA label in either of the scenarios I wrote out really wouldn't weight your decision which product you would choice?

qclabrat

yeah, I agree with Mr Soup, as long as the cheaper product is one you've used or a reputable company I wouldn't think otherwise.

rick81721

Lothar
So having an FDA label in either of the scenarios I wrote out really wouldn't weight your decision which product you would choice?

What exactly is the "FDA label" you are referring too? Like others said, there is no approval process for supplements.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Scenario 1

You walk into your LBS and see two new energy source products side by side. As a conscious buyer you look a little deeper.

Similarities- Ingredient, total weight of packaged product, portion size, price, packaging (minus differentiated label), science study, field study (same subjects)

Differences- Company and FDA label

Scenario 2

Same as scenario 1 but FDA approved product is $5 more

Buy samples of both and see which one works better

The Kalmyk

What exactly is the "FDA label" you are referring too? Like others said, there is no approval process for supplements.

Got it Rick. Maybe I should ask- is it worth it for a manufacturer or distributor to request their product be FDA approved? In Having the FDA audit product does that make a difference to consumers?

By label I mean something like this...

IMG_0364.PNG

Blair

It's my Birthday!
Got it Rick. Maybe I should ask- is it worth it for a manufacturer or distributor to request their product be FDA approved? In Having the FDA audit product does that make a difference to consumers?

View attachment 49929
Take the FDA approved one because it will have the stronger drugs to improve your performance, hypothetically.

rick81721

Lothar

View attachment 49929

Can you give an actual example of the product you're talking about? Most likely the "FDA approved" label is illegal and if anything I would steer clear of it.

The Kalmyk

Can you give an actual example of the product you're talking about? Most likely the "FDA approved" label is illegal and if anything I would steer clear of it.

No I don't have an example. I'm asking for myself. I was thinking having a third party audit would be a good look and send a message of transparency.

Honest business honest message.

qclabrat

regulatory is actually my area of expertise however label not so much. What may actually be FDA approved are the ingredients, such as a colorant, or it may be an approved facility to manufacture consumer goods. There are definitely less stringent regulatory requirements for products which donot require a drug application, but it's been changing quite a bit from year to year

w_b

Try the cheaper one; if it does not work, try the more expensive one. If that doesn't work, try something else.

I work with the FDA regularly, on the device side of things; not surprisingly their heads are so far up their collective a$$es it's incredible they accomplish anything productive.

Top Bottom