conditions?

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Conditions are likely to be slushy mess this Saturday

We got hit with 3" to 4" of snow, that turned to rain. The rain didn't wash the snow away, it just made the snow heavier. Combined with the current freeze/thaw cycle, its likely to be a mess.

Temps are forecasted to be in the teens Sunday morning.

Stay home and drink beer then?
Got it! :D

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Stay home and drink beer then?
Got it! :D

I didn't say that...:D But am guessing that Sunday Batsto conditions will be similar to my current backyard conditions. An inch of fresh snow on top of dirt, ice patches and patches of iced snow with ruts from spinning donuts on my Ural.
OK So maybe not the last one. ;)
Its ride-able, maybe enjoyable for some. But its not like last weekends conditions.

Last edited:

pibbles

as the Batsto rep you should be camped out there reporting back to us on conditions at least as frequently as the philly news outlets every time we get some frozen precip,this way we can better know when conditions are optimal. now go bundle up and take the Ural out there and get back to us. We'll wait :D

Robin

as the Batsto rep you should be camped out there reporting back to us on conditions at least as frequently as the philly news outlets every time we get some frozen precip,this way we can better know when conditions are optimal. now go bundle up and take the Ural out there and get back to us. We'll wait :D

Hee hee. A few of my friends asked "what's the Wharton rep say about conditions?".

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Hee hee. A few of my friends asked "what's the Wharton rep say about conditions?".

:D If anyone is looking for a trail free of ice and snow this Sunday, they need to head a little further south. Like maybe to Ocala FL to ride the non-polar Vortex. :)

Ringo

Planing to check it tomorrow. Im thinking its not a good idea but better than being on the couch. Allaire is a mess so figued might give it a try at warton. What do you think about conditions for tomorrow? Or shall we just stay home and enjoy the cold beer?

SS_Dave

I was there on Friday and there was just a dusting but it was frozen and fast. I think they got a lot of rain last night. May try tomorrow or tuesday

dvizz

Wharton trail conditions

My back yard is a frozen swamp. Areas that normally drain are covered in snow and water. There was a posting about a ride through Wharton today, wondering if riders actually attempted it.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
No snow left after Friday's thawing rain. Was good later in the day today. Should be very good riding on Sunday 2/23/14.
Enjoy it before next weekend's snowfall.

Last edited:

pibbles

I finally broke the 2hr mark on the orange trail for the first time today! 1:57 min! I would like to take this time to thank everyone who made this possible,namely my wife for allowing me to spend $1300 on a new ss my friend jim jim for letting me draft (yes he's 70) and last but not least Kurt for his wonderful axe work on the orange trail. (not kidding that guys really putting some time in with the chopping)

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Thanks Uncle Pibbles! I've been suffering from knee and hip issues that prevent me from pedalling in anger. Which leaves me to vent my energies via the ax. :)

NikkyE

Kurt kurt kurt. I haven't ridden wharton in about 2 years. I rode today and the place was awesome. You guys have been doing an incredible job! Wharton has come into its own.
If you didnt know, the place was packed today.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Kurt kurt kurt. I haven't ridden wharton in about 2 years. I rode today and the place was awesome. You guys have been doing an incredible job! Wharton has come into its own.
If you didnt know, the place was packed today.

If you havn't done so already, go and ride the Belleplain mtb loop.
I heard someone say, "its sorta kinda like Estell, and maybe a bit like Batsto, but its all uniquely Belleplain."
When you find yourself weaving fast thru the cathedral pines, you're on the section nicknamed "Harms' Way". :)

Mildly Wild

We were down in Wharton the Sunday before last (because it was the only rideable place in tri-state area). Took us 2 hrs to get there and then rode the 19.3 mi loop. Very nice trail work, and thank you to all who helped make it happen. Two questions: is that loop better ridden clockwise (from Batso pkg area)? We rode the trail CCW but met lots of people coming the otter way and very few traveling in our direction.

2nd question is: Is there a way of accessing the trail from the top (north) side of the park? It seems that we drove south from NoNJ, and then around the southern end of the park to the Batso trail access. We then rode the trail north and then south again. I figure we could of saved maybe 15 minutes of travel time (both coming and going) if we could have parked at the north end of the park and ridden the loop south and back north.

sandman

I have been on all the trails both cw & ccw and I don't think any one way is better. I do like the white trail from the orange to the blue because I think it's a better climb. Unless you know Wharton, I would stick to parking at Batsto.

JDurk

Conditions were great yesterday and significantly less people on the trails as last weekend. We rode every trail except the green with the big loop being a figure 8 using a combo of the orange and blue trails.

As Sandman mentioned, cw or ccw, it doesn't really matter. As flat as it is, lots of pedaling with little coasting and recovering. Wharton is definitely a deceptively challenging ride. And yes, unless you know your way around the sandy roads, stick to parking a Batsto.

Mildly Wild

As flat as it is, lots of pedaling with little coasting and recovering. Wharton is definitely a deceptively challenging ride.

Thank you for that. At about mile 17, my legs were starting to tire. I thought to myself "but this place is so flat - why am I getting tired?" I realized that one is constantly pedaling on this loop, and also because it is so buff and non-technical, to keep it exciting I was always pushing hard.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions