conditions?

My Son and I rode the orange trail today...wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. We ran into Kurt who was working on the trails (Thanks!!!!), and also another couple who also said they cleaned up some debris(Thanks!!!) We ended up doing some debris removal ourselves, and only had 3 getoffs during the entire ride! Overall I 'd have to say the trails came through the storm rather good, and with everyone pitching in to clean up, things are almost back to normal!

Hi Wharton locals,
I might be down in that area on Friday and was looking to ride. I have never been to Wharton. It sounds like the park is rideable. Share any info you may have with a newcomer.

I was going to bring my mountain bike but also thought about bringing my cross bike and riding some trails along with the roads. So, I was just wondering if the trails were suitable for cross and what the surrounding roads are like. Could I ride from Mays Landing to the park?

Thanks,
Kerri

Hi Wharton locals,
I might be down in that area on Friday and was looking to ride. I have never been to Wharton. It sounds like the park is rideable. Share any info you may have with a newcomer.

I was going to bring my mountain bike but also thought about bringing my cross bike and riding some trails along with the roads. So, I was just wondering if the trails were suitable for cross and what the surrounding roads are like. Could I ride from Mays Landing to the park?

Thanks,
Kerri

The MTB trails are clear. I frequently see cx bikes on the bicycle trails. There is a map at the trail head, in the corner of the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot. there is also a map on JORBA.org. And maps are available at the office. http://wharton.jorba.org

View attachment WSFmap2009[1].pdf

If you have the time, a ride from Mays Landing to Batsto is very do-able. NJ has a good Pine Barrens road bike ride route map. http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/pdf/pbarrens.pdf

Last edited:
The Wharton trails are liable to be a sloppy mess this weekend, 2/1/14-2/214.

Warm temps, that will be melting a couple inches of snow, that will not be able to drain though the still frozen ground, makes a slushy muddy sandy slurry.

Please stay off the WSF Batsto MTB trail this weekend and keep it in good shape. Thanks!

Heard from a friend that rode today said it was bad and turn back. Exactly as slingblade said and any common sense would tell ya.

The Penn Branch Trail is superb today. Get out and ride! That is all. :D

The noted conditions continued into Saturday. :)
In what is becoming an annual mid-winter ride, and for something different, we rode the out-n-back from Batsto to Jenkins, with a scenic stop at Hawkins Bridge, and a history stop at the ghost town of Washington. boo.

Is there much snow on the trail , seen a couple pics and it looked like there was no snow ?

Is there much snow on the trail , seen a couple pics and it looked like there was no snow ?

Haven't been over, but from what the lawn looks like and observations all the way to mile 83 of the parkway I'd say there is no snow. All of this area in SJ was getting rain and warmer temps when the storm rolled thru on Monday. That pretty much cleared it out.

Last weekend was a slushy mess, but currently there is little to no snow at Wharton and Belleplain Forests.

Current TWC forecast calls for snow starting at 3:00 pm Sunday for the 08037.

Thanks guys ! This place was in great shape today. Felt great to get away from the snow and hammer down. Ok, I don't hammer down that fast but you could if you can !

So this weekend was the first time that I rode The Orange trail and the Blue trail consecutively... While the Orange (Penn Branch) is beautiful and 20 miles long, I absolutely loved the flow of the blue loop. Ima goona do it in both directions next time. :D
I think the only other times that I rode the blue trail was at night. (which is also fun but different)
I must say, you guys did a fantastic job removing all of the snow down there. :rofl:
In all seriousness though, the TM crew does an amazing job! ;)

A couple of my Philly buds rode there Sat and Sun and said conditions were great. As I worked on my garage and basement, I was jealous... :(

2/15/14 & 2/16/14

Conditions are likely to be slushy mess this Saturday

We got hit with 3" to 4" of snow, that turned to rain. The rain didn't wash the snow away, it just made the snow heavier. Combined with the current freeze/thaw cycle, its likely to be a mess.

Temps are forecasted to be in the teens Sunday morning.

Last edited:
Conditions are likely to be slushy mess this Saturday

We got hit with 3" to 4" of snow, that turned to rain. The rain didn't wash the snow away, it just made the snow heavier. Combined with the current freeze/thaw cycle, its likely to be a mess.

Temps are forecasted to be in the teens Sunday morning.

Thoughts on riding Sunday?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions