Concussions - From an Athlete's Point of View

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Casey is my college roommate's nephew. His Dad is rather famous around Connecticut HS football
for the Cochran Rule - beat a team by more than 50 points, and the coach gets suspended.

Anyway, Casey was slated to be the starting QB for UConn after being red-shirted a couple years back.
He retired after his first start, and now deals with a lifetime of uncertainty.

This is not an indictment of football, as all the kid sports seem to have their share.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/casey-cochran-uconn-football-concussions/

Yes - Team-over-self, but one hurts the team when not reporting a head injury.

USATSI_7589236.jpg

Blair

Stick with baseball if you're gonna pick a sport to play professionally. Or for free in college. Still amazes me how the ncaa and schools, etc make billions off student athletes. And they keep calling me for more donations.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Follow-up -

ESPN did an Outside the Lines Special on Casey, and his dad, Jack.

Casey on tour.

Last edited:

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
it is - hoping they both heal. They are def trying to do something bigger than they set out to do.
The positive is they are talking about it and bringing more attention too what is a problem of epidemic proportion. I mean I grew up playing roller hockey and half of the time without a helmet. After seeing the video I'm quite sure I've had a few concussions. That might account for a few things in my life.
Best of luck to them.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The last concussion in 2011 messed me up for 6-12 months with short term memory and formulating thoughts. The biggest danger is repeated hits after you have one, so it was
Kinda dumb I rode the next morning. Live and learn.

The Kalmyk

My son doesn't like football, he loves it. I mean on another level. I hope that fizzles out in time. Maybe buying him a super cool mountain bike is the football cryptonite. Or is it kryptonite?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
My son doesn't like football, he loves it. I mean on another level. I hope that fizzles out in time. Maybe buying him a super cool mountain bike is the football cryptonite. Or is it kryptonite?

Football gave me the worst of the four I have had. Buy him a bike and hopefully it works. I probably had more in football, but the "one" from football could not be ignored. Worst one I had.

Skiing, mountain biking, and work (edge of a 8'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood came down right on my forehead) were the other three...

So maybe buy him a crotchet set?

walter

Fourth Party
Weird how things can happen. I would have expected cheer daughter to have gotten her first concussion while throwing some kid in the air or dorking a landing in a tumble pass or something, but she literally slipped in front of the house and landed square on the back of her head. The look in her eyes when she sat up scared the crap out of us. My neighbor got her concussion while dismantling her kids swing set fortress thing. Hard to blame/keep kids out of any one sport, it can happen anywhere.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Football gave me the worst of the four I have had.
Interesting, the one I had a couple weeks before my wedding on my CX bike was worse than the football one I had when I was in middle school playing pop warner midget football. They also were afraid I broke my neck, I got lit up like this dude did and landed on my head:
sz6OD.gif

At the time I didn't lose any memory or had a long period of unconsciousness, but when I wrecked on the CX bike I legit forgot about 10-15 minutes immediately after. I'm surprised my parents let me play after that, I guess it was because my Dad played and it was what you did? Not sure.

I would say cycling has smaller odds of cracking your brain open, but when it gets to that point, it can be very, very bad.

Actually, I think I also had one in high school I never really did anything about from football... hmm.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Personally I played football grade 2-12 and only got rung twice in that time.

Cycling has caused at least five full grade concussions 2 xc 3 dh.

Coincidentally two from cross country were within a week and both times @map111158 was with me. Hit the same low hanger both times. Bret was on second time and personally cut said low hanger next day.

Top Bottom