Commuting

JerseyPete

Which side?
NY: greenway is pretty safe north or south, a couple of areas to watch if you’re riding late.
NJ: the road section near the GWB scares the hell out of me.
People drive like lunatics just off the bridge. Beyond that it’s okay.
Thanks, I had heard from a couple of bike commuters that the greenway near the GWB NY side sometimes has a bit of risk of getting things thrown at you (homeless, drug addicts, etc). My walk from PABT to TS already has that. How bad is it in the very early morning? Going home would be early afternoon.
@liong71er probably has many miles through there.

RobW

how do you bike commuters deal with sweat? Shower in work? I would gladly leave the title of ‘smelliest guy of the company’ to the current rightful owner...not really into competition!
thought about this more as i rode in this morning.... dont drink anything at night and morning.... no sweat!

liong71er

Thanks, I had heard from a couple of bike commuters that the greenway near the GWB NY side sometimes has a bit of risk of getting things thrown at you (homeless, drug addicts, etc). My walk from PABT to TS already has that. How bad is it in the very early morning? Going home would be early afternoon.
No worries Pretty much feels safe every time I bike thru here even in midnight wich I happened to be riding thru couple times never had problems with the homeless either I came across with them many time if I using the haven park underpasses where they reside they panhandling around that highway exits,peoples still walking there using the underpass
Used to be very dirty the park clean up really good those areas,also the greenway lights all of them is lit
For these pas two years now they even built new lights post lots of them,especially at fort Washington perimeter nowadays all the lights has been fixed or install new one so it’s not so dark anymore unlike few years ago I know because I rode through here all the times do I can tell the improvement.

pygmypony

on a related topic...i saw my first, relatively High Speed bike collision on the Henry Hudson Greenway y'day...

it was a VERY BUSY day on the greenway since, nice weather...

i was travelling south bound, just before the Heliport at around 31st street when a young dude flies past me and a bunch of other people. there was a bit of a jam up on the right side of the metal posts that are now at every street crossing, so he swerved to go through the left side post where...he collides head on with...an older dude riding an E-Bike!

they hit so damn hard, it was jarring. i hung around just long enough to make sure no one was seriously hurt, but had to bail to catch a train.

considering they were both technically doing things illegally per the greenway, it was a total cluster F...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
on a related topic...i saw my first, relatively High Speed bike collision on the Henry Hudson Greenway y'day...

i was travelling south bound, just before the Heliport at around 31st street when a young dude flies past me and a bunch of other people. there was a bit of a jam up on the right side of the metal posts that are now at every street crossing, so he swerved to go through the left side post where...he collides head on with...an older dude riding an E-Bike!

they hit so damn hard, it was jarring. i hung around just long enough to make sure no one was seriously hurt, but had to bail to catch a train.

considering they were both technically doing things illegally per the greenway, it was a total cluster F...
Almost had a crash on the greenway going south 2yrs ago because this one roadie prick passed on my left into the oncoming lane even after I had signaled for a left turn.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, what Liong said there, especially given the hours you'll be riding through-
no worse than your walking commute.

There is one section of the greenway where it's kind of isolated where it's squeezed between tennis courts and the railway, that might be a little sketchy. but they have it better lit now,
and again I don't think it will be an issue in the early am or afternoon hours.

Most of the greenway is pretty wide open, with good lines of sight.

I'd suggest you go scope out your route on some nice sunny weekend day, and see how it looks to you.
There will likely be a lot of takers, and your only safety concern will be getting left-hooked by a jogger or citibike.

Keep us posted!

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Given the upswing in biking and CitiBikes, I’m really surprised I haven’t seen more of this.
Was E-bike a throttle model, or pedal assist?

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Paul H Please tell me you brought the wheel home for maintenance.
8E3178A6-CDEB-4686-A874-2ABA8EE9DA27.jpeg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I truly miss this part of my biking past. Might have break out the old SS rattle can to reminisce one day. Park a @soundz folks old house too.

Top Bottom