Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, best case is having access to a shower at work-
If that's not an option,
like has been said, let yourself cool down a little after you get to the shop,
then baby wipes and deodorant.

pygmypony

I wonder if anybody can suggest a route I could take that would allow me to park an ride to my office. Unfortunately bus+ride is impossible from Ringwood to Secaucus, but park & ride maybe an option. I work on Castle rd, basically Secaucus Junction. I would need a free parking spot that would allow me a few miles back and forth. Also, how do you bike commuters deal with sweat? Shower in work? I would gladly leave the title of ‘smelliest guy of the company’ to the current rightful owner...not really into competition!
we have a bathroom where the door locks so total privacy. i can basically take a paper towel shower in there! also, i ride to work in riding clothes, and change at the office.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That is actually the best suggestion, I wouldn't even need to commute any longer and plenty of time to ride. Why couldn't think of that on my own?

Is there a gym nearby that has showers? If so, see if your company has wellness reimbursement or whatever it's called. Get your company to pay for your gym membership, and just use that gym membership for the shower.

RobW

could just shower like the karate kid---
the-karate-kid-halloween-scenes6.jpg

serviceguy

Is there a gym nearby that has showers? If so, see if your company has wellness reimbursement or whatever it's called. Get your company to pay for your gym membership, and just use that gym membership for the shower.
Good idea, we do have wellness reimbursement aand there's a cheap gym not too far from the office. Unfortunately during the summer riding from the gym to the office would cause me to sweat like a pig all over again...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Good idea, we do have wellness reimbursement aand there's a cheap gym not too far from the office. Unfortunately during the summer riding from the gym to the office would cause me to sweat like a pig all over again...
I also think the distance you plan on commuting via bike would factor in, not to mention how hard you will pedal.
Yes, on a hot summer day, you are going to sweat your balls off no matter what but on a mild day like today, you may not.

serviceguy

I also think the distance you plan on commuting via bike would factor in, not to mention how hard you will pedal.
Yes, on a hot summer day, you are going to sweat your balls off no matter what but on a mild day like today, you may not.

That was the point of my asking in the original post. I am not aware of any parking area around Secaucus that would allow me a riding distance of 5 to 10 miles from work that doesn't include a major highway (Rt.3, I95 etc.). Maybe on the Hudson river side (which would require me to drive farther than I usually do, kind of would suck then).

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
That was the point of my asking in the original post. I am not aware of any parking area around Secaucus that would allow me a riding distance of 5 to 10 miles from work that doesn't include a major highway (Rt.3, I95 etc.). Maybe on the Hudson river side (which would require me to drive farther than I usually do, kind of would suck then).
Isnt Secaucus junction a park and ride? Prolly a paid parking?
How far is your work from Secaucus junction?

For my commute this morning, according to strava, its about 4 miles and I pedaled at ~10mph for 20min of moving time.
Didn't really sweat all that much.

serviceguy

Isnt Secaucus junction a park and ride? Prolly a paid parking?
How far is your work from Secaucus junction?

For my commute this morning, according to strava, its about 4 miles and I pedaled at ~10mph for 20min of moving time.
Didn't really sweat all that much.

I am exactly 1 mile from the junction. Too far to walk without breaking a sweat, to close to get a taxi and still be charged $10! Plus parking for the day is $35 (or may be more now)...an option could be just to ride my bike from the office to Laurel Hill Park and back at lunchtime, it's 3.2 miles each way...technically not a commute.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am exactly 1 mile from the junction. Too far to walk without breaking a sweat, to close to get a taxi and still be charged $10! Plus parking for the day is $35 (or may be more now)...an option could be just to ride my bike from the office to Laurel Hill Park and back at lunchtime, it's 3.2 miles each way...technically not a commute.

Ride bike to a train station whatever distance away you feel like riding, take train to Secaucus Junction, ride a fold up e-scooter thing to office.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
1 mile is prolly not what you are looking for anyways.
Take your lunch break and drive around to see if there is a place where you can park your car safely.

TBH... when I did this commute thing 2yrs ago, it helped me lose about 5lbs but I don't think it did anything for strength and endurance.
I guess I should not have expected anything for 20min ride each way. But it was fun tho and I think it was worth it.

JerseyPete

How is the area off GWB? Anyone with first hand experience on local road vs greenway regarding safety?

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How is the area off GWB? Anyone with first hand experience on local rode vs greenway regarding safety?
Which side?
NY: greenway is pretty safe north or south, a couple of areas to watch if you’re riding late.
NJ: the road section near the GWB scares the hell out of me.
People drive like lunatics just off the bridge. Beyond that it’s okay.

RobW

What do you guys look for in a commuter? I've got a hilly 25 miles
i started with a aluminum cross bike and put some 28's on it. it worked...now i have a steel cross bike with rack options but my commute is only 10 miles so a backpack is sufficient...

bigW

i started with a aluminum cross bike and put some 28's on it. it worked...now i have a steel cross bike with rack options but my commute is only 10 miles so a backpack is sufficient...

Needs to look shabby enough to not be stolen. Ideally able to get rained on if parked outdoors, Cross bike is ideal as it will fit commuter tires ( ie: Schwalbe Marathon 28c ) a sturdy rear rack is best option for carrying the clothes. Commuter tires are crucial to reduce flats from glass and metal shards. Good lights help ( I just made the ultimate upgrade to dynamo lights front and rear )

W

Today’s commute pic:

A762222F-1980-4DD4-9007-7701EC9876D5.jpeg

Top Bottom