Commuting

Interesting- didn't know about this, but like bike-friendly initiatives like this.
I have seen these types of things in Europe, and slowly being adopted here (Idaho and Maryland).
These are helpful to cyclists, but we'll see how well-received they are by the motorized public.
I am actually worried about pedestrians. They tend not to look out for bikes and just pop out even in the bike lane.

I am actually worried about pedestrians. They tend not to look out for bikes and just pop out even in the bike lane.
this. 100%. every day.
Yup, I have always said I'm more worried about peds than vehicles.

This is why I won't ride anywhere near Time Sq- it's like the freeway in the Matrix as far as I'm concerned.

When you finally make that light on your route for the first time, and it opens up the next 3 blocks with green lights:
giphy.gif

if u just take off they can't really catch u .. i’ve seen it happen not on youtube

i thought riding citibike in subzero temps was hardcore! this guy paddles a foldable boat across the hudson river!

When you finally make that light on your route for the first time, and it opens up the next 3 blocks with green lights:
giphy.gif

Or when you discover your old NR 700 light is powerful enough (even on the Lo setting) to trigger the light sensors at traffic lights - so you roll up to a red light and it changes to green when you get to it.
Nice... :cool:

Finally got to try one of these bad boys today- e⚡️Citibike
IMG_3333.JPG

There's like 200 out in the wild.
I've seen a lot in the racks, but they are always locked out.
Today I caught one.

First impression: these are fun
Second impression: people gonna die

The pedal assist kicks on pretty quickly- maybe half a pedal stroke, and you're off to the races.

You can pretty much get to top end (18mph) within 2 revolutions of the crank.
That's awesome for clearing an intersection ahead of the taxis,
but I can really see people getting over their heads quick.
And 18mph is too fast for most folks riding in the city, but is easily within reach of anyone on one of these.

For me it would definitely take some getting used to- cranking along without enough resistance in the pedals. It's a little weird.

I know @MadDan has hit one of these- what are your thoughts?

Finally got to try one of these bad boys today- e⚡️Citibike
View attachment 79412
There's like 200 out in the wild.
I've seen a lot in the racks, but they are always locked out.
Today I caught one.

First impression: these are fun
Second impression: people gonna die

The pedal assist kicks on pretty quickly- maybe half a pedal stroke, and you're off to the races.

You can pretty much get to top end (18mph) within 2 revolutions of the crank.
That's awesome for clearing an intersection ahead of the taxis,
but I can really see people getting over their heads quick.
And 18mph is too fast for most folks riding in the city, but is easily within reach of anyone on one of these.

For me it would definitely take some getting used to- cranking along without enough resistance in the pedals. It's a little weird.

I know @MadDan has hit one of these- what are your thoughts?
I've had two of these so far..... First one was a nice long ride (relatively speaking) from 9th Street and 6th Ave, up to 46th Street, and then across to Park Ave.

You're spot on with both impressions... I may have actually giggled a few times when starting off from a red light. IDGAF. And yeah, the assist kicks in immediately. I can totally see someone who't not an experienced rider getting a little to aggressive. Given how shitty a CitiBike already is to handle, I didn't think this was much worse. The other trip was usual Penn to 46/Park. Wood ride again.

One thing that they will really need to stay on top of with these is the brakes. Can't be having mushy brakes with these things....

I'm totally gonna try and get on one of these next time I'm in the city. Think this will force them to change the rule about motorized bike/scooters on the greenway, or will it just continue to be ignored?

I'm totally gonna try and get on one of these next time I'm in the city. Think this will force them to change the rule about motorized bike/scooters on the greenway, or will it just continue to be ignored?
Not sure where things are, but given these are out there,
I think pedal assist bikes are okay, throttled e-bikes are not (and still being confiscated).

I've had two of these so far..... First one was a nice long ride (relatively speaking) from 9th Street and 6th Ave, up to 46th Street, and then across to Park Ave.

You're spot on with both impressions... I may have actually giggled a few times when starting off from a red light. IDGAF. And yeah, the assist kicks in immediately. I can totally see someone who't not an experienced rider getting a little to aggressive. Given how shitty a CitiBike already is to handle, I didn't think this was much worse. The other trip was usual Penn to 46/Park. Wood ride again.

One thing that they will really need to stay on top of with these is the brakes. Can't be having mushy brakes with these things....

Yeah, definitely on the brakes- mine was fine,
but given a regular citibike is 45lbs,
this has to be about 60 I would imagine.
Doing the math, 60lbs(+ rider) x 18mph = smashed jaywalker

But yeah, it was no worse in the handling department.

Back
Top Bottom