Commuting

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey guys I know some of you get into Manhattan via the GWB. I'm trying to put together a relatively safe route from Summit to the bridge. I have not tested it out yet but I was hoping for some route suggestions before I venture out there. Has anyone ridden to the bridge from an area close to Summit? Thanks all.

I have not done anything like that, but what Google Maps gives you seems to be not too horrible:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sum...5bfd782544!2m2!1d-73.9701381!2d40.8509333!3e1

@liong71er or @bigW might have some input

Mountain Bike Mike

Don't you have lights? Can't beat the Knog flashers - white in front, red in back

bought some cheap Kree lights that do the job but I don't need them now based on sunrise and set and when I'm commuting... Was that you who had the pic at night of the bike all lit up like fourth of July.. I thought that was you.

rick81721

Lothar
bought some cheap Kree lights that do the job but I don't need them now based on sunrise and set and when I'm commuting... Was that you who had the pic at night of the bike all lit up like fourth of July.. I thought that was you.

Yeah that's my niterider - has lights out the wazoo. But even during the day I always have a red flasher going and if its cloudy or getting within 2 hrs of dawn or dusk pop the white flasher on too.

RobW

Yeah that's my niterider - has lights out the wazoo. But even during the day I always have a red flasher going and if its cloudy or getting within 2 hrs of dawn or dusk pop the white flasher on too.
red flasher on for both to and fro

bigW

That actually seems pretty doable, better than what I had in mind at least. I'm planning on trying this out next week. I'll post back how it goes.

Summit to GWB is further north than my Plainfield to Jersey City.

Depending on where in NYC your destination is perhaps taking the bike on a ferry is a more direct route. 29 miles of local roads and stop lights before even getting to the bridge is a long slog.

My route to JC leaves me at the downtown ferry

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/751527321

Crossing the Hackensack and Passiac Rivers is the trick.

Bike safe.

W

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hah I didn't think to think it would be a commute. May want to try it on a weekend before you commit. Also an option is to drive closer be you start riding.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Get one of these and just head East.

201310061214213051.jpg

Jager

Hey all, I made the commute this morning into NYC over the GWB it was Sick! 38 miles one way. No real issues other than some things I ahve to change on the bike. Traffic was not bad.
Question though, how do you get from the GWB to the Hudson River Greenway or the reverse?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey all, I made the commute this morning into NYC over the GWB it was Sick! 38 miles one way. No real issues other than some things I ahve to change on the bike. Traffic was not bad.
Question though, how do you get from the GWB to the Hudson River Greenway or the reverse?

Glad it worked out for you. These are the 2 most common ways (181st street & 158th street):

screen.jpg

qclabrat

IMG_6574[1].JPG
rare opportunity to do a semi-commute today
dropped off car at mechanics and rode to work, only about 5-6 miles but was a sweaty mess despite only in the 60's
didn't bring a change a clothes, so headed to the gym locker room for a towel dry and hair dryer on the polo
first time on a bike in 2 weeks so was nice to get out for a bit

jackx

Cool idea.
Looks like no QR on hubs, so no worry about locking wheels too. Although then could be a PITA to change a flat.

Top Bottom