Clean Start

w_b

I have a Spheros that came used as a gift, a long while back, when I bought a nice Fin-nor from a friend. The Fin-nor has long since shit the bed, the Shimano keeps on catchin'. Talkin Salt doe.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i almost took a good picture today - cut the top of the tree off...no filter applied (yet)

IMG_2831.JPG

Patrick

Staff member
Second foot race of the year, and this one wasn't pretty. Pre-Game 5k out of the Ginty pool complex in Morristown (near Loantaka.)
The family suited up, and out we went. Solid temps to start in the low 30s at 10am.

about the same time as the last one,
but i could feel the extra pounds being dragged uphill!
finished 90th of 367 by gun time and almost the same clock time (starting 40sec after the gun went off.
first mile was a mess as the people who pushed to the front but don't run fall off.

This race was much larger in the past, but they skipped last year, and changed venues away from
the Morristown Square. By the number of porta-potties, they were expecting 800 participants.

As i'm cruising along for the first 1.5 miles, it dawns on me that the course has had a downhill bias.
Not extreme, just def been running downhill. The course decided to collect on the elevation in a
.2 mile 100' hill. it was about a 2.5 minute effort, but wow. Gravity was set to high!

So i'm thinking on Jan 1, I had gone to the @Jefflenosky NYE ride the day before,
and the legs were heavy for the run. Yesterday, I decided that single-speed was the right tool
for riding around nassau trails. Hopefully this explains a little of the drop-off, along with the total
lack of endurance workouts since running the marathon.....speaking of which, the lottery drawing for NYC
is Feb 27....stay tuned.

So it is Feb 3, and it marks 10 weeks until the Rutgers half marathon. 10 week plan starts tomorrow,
looking to go 1:50 or lower.

Hoping to hit all the short-track races, and be strong for HOH.

will post more bicycle stuff this week, hopefully!

rick81721

Lothar
Second foot race of the year, and this one wasn't pretty. Pre-Game 5k out of the Ginty pool complex in Morristown (near Loantaka.)
The family suited up, and out we went. Solid temps to start in the low 30s at 10am.

finished 90th of 367 by gun time and almost the same clock time (starting 40sec after the gun went off.
first mile was a mess as the people who pushed to the front but don't run fall off.

This race was much larger in the past, but they skipped last year, and changed venues away from
the Morristown Square. By the number of porta-potties, they were expecting 800 participants.

As i'm cruising along for the first 1.5 miles, it dawns on me that the course has had a downhill bias.
Not extreme, just def been running downhill. The course decided to collect on the elevation in a
.2 mile 100' hill. it was about a 2.5 minute effort, but wow. Gravity was set to high!

So i'm thinking on Jan 1, I had gone to the @Jefflenosky NYE ride the day before,
and the legs were heavy for the run. Yesterday, I decided that single-speed was the right tool
for riding around nassau trails. Hopefully this explains a little of the drop-off, along with the total
lack of endurance workouts since running the marathon.....speaking of which, the lottery drawing for NYC
is Feb 27....stay tuned.

So it is Feb 3, and it marks 10 weeks until the Rutgers half marathon. 10 week plan starts tomorrow,

Yeah these local 5Ks there are too many yahoos who don't know where to line up. You basically have to start in the 6 min mile group to avoid the mash

Mahnken

is Feb 27....stay tuned.

I might try and keep pace with you at the half, see how long I can last, lol.

Patrick

Staff member
I might try and keep pace with you at the half, see how long I can last, lol.

looks like you are putting in the work! Do it.
There are free training plans in strava. all you'd do is add some speed work to your current runs, then add a longer one on sundays
(or race short track!)

Mahnken

looks like you are putting in the work! Do it.
There are free training plans in strava. all you'd do is add some speed work to your current runs, then add a longer one on sundays
(or race short track!)
That's the plan, just have to figure out what pace to try and run at for all the different types of speed runs in there. I guess I'll figure that out as I go.

Patrick

Staff member
That's the plan, just have to figure out what pace to try and run at for all the different types of speed runs in there. I guess I'll figure that out as I go.

They have a pace calculator link. I'll pOST it later.

Patrick

Staff member

did you find the pace calculator? you crushed the fartleks!
this one is interesting - you can put in a race result and get predictions for longer races - and training paces.
https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

---

Went to cush today with the new fatbike. I'm not sure what was going on, but this thing felt fast - blasts through the rocks, good on the dh,
a little self-steer, but easy enough to correct. PR'd all the segments - the one i didn't had a tree down across it that need a dismount and climb-over,
and i dabbed in the upper rockgarden - spaced out on my line - and came in 20 seconds back of my pr - so i'm sure i would have crushed it.

Anyway, get to the top and start down into RV, and hit a rock which bottomed my ass out on the seat and stripped one of the saddle clamp bolts!
just enough that i didn't want to keep going, so flipped around and came back down to the lot. Bike has something going on in one of the middle gears,
will look at that later, otherwise shifting is spot-on (gx11). brakes work fine (sram level tlm) -

couple of other little items - the grip clamps are a little loose - this was intentional, so i could find the right spot for the heal support.
need to tighten them up - and the downshift lever is a little high (matchmaker setup)

Great first ride - since i couldn't make stephens, decided to support OOS locally...
(someone turn on the pretty filter please.)

IMG_2906.JPG

Mahnken

did you find the pace calculator? you crushed the fartleks!
this one is interesting - you can put in a race result and get predictions for longer races - and training paces.
https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

---

Went to cush today with the new fatbike. I'm not sure what was going on, but this thing felt fast - blasts through the rocks, good on the dh,
a little self-steer, but easy enough to correct. PR'd all the segments - the one i didn't had a tree down across it that need a dismount and climb-over,
and i dabbed in the upper rockgarden - spaced out on my line - and came in 20 seconds back of my pr - so i'm sure i would have crushed it.

Anyway, get to the top and start down into RV, and hit a rock which bottomed my ass out on the seat and stripped one of the saddle clamp bolts!
just enough that i didn't want to keep going, so flipped around and came back down to the lot. Bike has something going on in one of the middle gears,
will look at that later, otherwise shifting is spot-on (gx11). brakes work fine (sram level tlm) -

couple of other little items - the grip clamps are a little loose - this was intentional, so i could find the right spot for the heal support.
need to tighten them up - and the downshift lever is a little high (matchmaker setup)

Great first ride - since i couldn't make stephens, decided to support OOS locally...
(someone turn on the pretty filter please.)

View attachment 87418
Yep, found them! Though, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use my current paces or goal paces for intervals, so I used goal paces. That's why they are so fast, lol. I'll have to play with the other one and see what that says.

What's the new fat bike? I need a snowstorm down here so that I have an excuse to get out on mine.

Patrick

Staff member
Yep, found them! Though, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use my current paces or goal paces for intervals, so I used goal paces. That's why they are so fast, lol. I'll have to play with the other one and see what that says.

What's the new fat bike? I need a snowstorm down here so that I have an excuse to get out on mine.

go run a 5k race against people - use that as your fitness number, then find the training paces. if you are using your goal paces and hitting them
you are already there!!!

Picked up @Leftymuk's Carbon Alaskan rolling frame. added some bits from my garage pile, pulled the brakes off the tallboy.
25lbs.

IMG_2870.JPG

Mahnken

go run a 5k race against people - use that as your fitness number, then find the training paces. if you are using your goal paces and hitting them
you are already there!!!

Picked up @Leftymuk's Carbon Alaskan rolling frame. added some bits from my garage pile, pulled the brakes off the tallboy.
25lbs.

View attachment 87444
I love the look of that bike! I gotta get out to round valley for a ride one of these days. Two of my sister's live within 5 minutes of there, can't believe I haven't been there to ride yet.
I'll have to find some 5 and 10k's to get some official race times up.

Patrick

Staff member
Dang it - I'm sick. Thought i was going to avoid it, but no luck.

Woke up wednesday with the full body ache thing going on. I had crappy run the day before because of some intestinal distress,
but i tend to ignore that now, and just accept the speed differential. Thursday the throat started to join the party, as well as friday.

Decided i was feeling better, so had a couple beers on Friday night with @MadisonDan - which is always awesome, we chatted about kids and life.
The beer and company were so engaging, and i got there early....well, i shouldn't have had beer #3. Cause i got home, and it started settling in, then
i went to meet a buddy of mine at the local trattoria, and split a bottle of wine.

woke up with a hangover - first one in a few years. too much alch, not enough water, not enough food. not enough sleep. Saturday was a tough morning.
I had committed to lead a gravel ride in the bedminster area, and i was damn well going to be there. the fresh air was great, but the head never cleared,
mostly because i now have a sinus thing going on. perhaps betting on tissue stock would be a good thing, cause the faucet is on. TMI?

Wanted to do the Zwift nationals today - but it didn't happen. Took some drugs, not enough relief to make any effort possible. I'll try to easy spin later.
My training plan calls for a 1:45 run. maybe i'll push it back until tomorrow, maybe i'll just reset and restart the weekly cycle next tuesday.

Enjoyed getting out on the gravel, and getting to meet @serviceguy - great story about ending up in the USA - although i think we cut you off before the - 'and that's how i ended up in NJ' part.

The new fatbike is a blast - lots of self-steer if the front tire comes off the middle knobs. 4.4" jumbo jims at 6.5psi - any lower and it is too slow on the gravel. The front rotor decided it would make a weird sound at 12mph, and the drivetrain has got some wonk in the middle range under power - so gotta play with that.

Got some other bike projects in the hopper right now - so more to come.
Looking forward to short track - I'm planning on doing a double if i don't die in the fatbike race - where i see some names that i should not be lining up against. But i will have fun, and get in a good workout trying not to get lapped twice in such a short race. We'll see if i bring a different bike for the sport class. I should be there early enough to heckle support the beginners.

i'd like it to go back to fall/winter/spring instead of summer/rainy season. where do i put in my vote?

speaking of running - i retired my first set of running shoes at 335 miles. When i ran in florida last week, my heel hurt. It was more on concrete than asphalt, so didn't think too much of it. then i ran in my other sneakers, and was fine. Went for a local run in the first pair, and my heel hurt again. I purchased the exact same pair on a close-out, and can't believe the difference when i put them on. My kid wants to know why i would want all-black sneakers.....

IMG_3016.JPG

Last edited:

serviceguy

Dang it - I'm sick. Thought i was going to avoid it, but no luck.

Woke up wednesday with the full body ache thing going on. I had crappy run the day before because of some intestinal distress,
but i tend to ignore that now, and just accept the speed differential. Thursday the throat started to join the party, as well as friday.

Decided i was feeling better, so had a couple beers on Friday night with @MadisonDan - which is always awesome, we chatted about kids and life.
The beer and company was so engaging, and i got there early....well, i shouldn't have had beer #3. Cause i got home, and it started settling in, then
i went to meet a buddy of mine at the local trattoria, and split a bottle of wine.

woke up with a hangover - first one in a few years. too much alch, not enough water, not enough food. not enough sleep. Saturday was a tough morning.
I had committed to lead a gravel ride in the bedminster area, and i was damn well going to be there. the fresh air was great, but the head never cleared,
mostly because i now have a sinus thing going on. perhaps betting on tissue stock would be a good thing, cause the faucet is on. TMI?

Wanted to do the Zwift nationals today - but it didn't happen. Took some drugs, not enough relief to make any effort possible. I'll try to easy spin later.
My training plan calls for a 1:45 run. maybe i'll push it back until tomorrow, maybe i'll just reset and restart the weekly cycle next tuesday.

Enjoyed getting out on the gravel, and getting to meet @serviceguy - great story about ending up in the USA - although i think we cut you off before the - 'and that's how i ended up in NJ' part.

The new fatbike is a blast - lots of self-steer if the front tire comes off the middle knobs. 4.4" jumbo jims at 6.5psi - any lower and it is too slow on the gravel. The front rotor decided it would make a weird sound at 12mph, and the drivetrain has got some wonk in the middle range under power - so gotta play with that.

Got some other bike projects in the hopper right now - so more to come.
Looking forward to short track - I'm planning on doing a double if i don't die in the fatbike race - where i see some names that i should not be lining up against. But i will have fun, and get in a good workout trying not to get lapped twice in such a short race. We'll see if i bring a different bike for the sport class. I should be there early enough to heckle support the beginners.

i'd like it to go back to fall/winter/spring instead of summer/rainy season. where do i put in my vote?

speaking of running - i retired my first set of running shoes at 335 miles. When i ran in florida last week, my heel hurt. It was more on concrete than asphalt, so didn't think too much of it. then i ran in my other sneakers, and was fine. Went for a local run in the first pair, and my heel hurt again. I purchased the exact same pair on a close-out, and can't believe the difference when i put them on. My kid wants to know why i would want all-black sneakers.....

View attachment 88566
Great to meet you as well, I think I actually said the words you mentioned but you guys were already gone...I tend to overstretch the attention of my audience occasionally! Glad you like the story, next time I’ll tell you how I got married...feel better soon!

Patrick

Staff member
not sure how i feel about this....
=========================

Dear patrick,
We thank you for your application to the drawing for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon. Unfortunately, you were not one of the runners selected for this year's race.

Top Bottom