Clean Start

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
good effort there, what were your 5K times before you started training for Chicago? Haven't been under 24 in years, time to start running, thanks for the inspiring posts Pat

Back in 2012 i was in the 23 minute range.
Valentines day 2017, after doing a little bit of running in January while in Florida, I ran 25:58. Balloon Fest in August 2018 23:48. Last two have been in the 22 minute range.
I'd really like to post a run with sub-7 minute average. we'll see, gotta do more intervals, and work on my stride/cadence. Not sure i can get to @rick81721's level of sub 20.
Maybe if i lose the 10 lbs....

Looking forward to the next 10k race. See if i can establish a solid pace and go sub 50.

rick81721

Lothar
Back in 2012 i was in the 23 minute range.
Valentines day 2017, after doing a little bit of running in January while in Florida, I ran 25:58. Balloon Fest in August 2018 23:48. Last two have been in the 22 minute range.
I'd really like to post a run with sub-7 minute average. we'll see, gotta do more intervals, and work on my stride/cadence. Not sure i can get to @rick81721's level of sub 20.
Maybe if i lose the 10 lbs....

Looking forward to the next 10k race. See if i can establish a solid pace and go sub 50.

Sub 20? Where'd you get that idea? I think the fastest 5K I ever did was 22+ on a treadmill.

Patrick

Staff member
Sub 20? Where'd you get that idea? I think the fastest 5K I ever did was 22+ on a treadmill.

thought you said your ran a sub 20? you should run a sub 20. you got this, 6:26 pace.

i need 21:42 for 6:59 pace.

rick81721

Lothar
thought you said your ran a sub 20? you should run a sub 20. you got this, 6:26 pace.

i need 21:42 for 6:59 pace.

Haha no I said "if I wanted to run a sub-20 5K" - it would take a training commitment that I'm not interested in. Would probably have to run 3 times a week for a few months. My only goal is to be a faster cyclist - I run ~ 1X a week primarily as cross-training.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Toe nail update!

Big toe: Nail is hanging by the cuticle/matrix. I might just have it removed, cause it will never heal.

-

Lined up for another 5k this weekend. It was at a vinyard, so the crowd was going to be mixed.
this was all on the cinder/dirt roads - which were in decent shape. not too many rocks or ruts.
a couple muddy areas, but avoidable. A little bit of elevation change, nothing too bad.

spent most of the run in 6th place. Couldn't hold on to the 5th place athlete after the 2 mile mark.
couple others decided to sprint the finish (they were lurking behind me most of the race), i didn't
have it in me, as i could feel the fatigue of last week's race - 22:47 so took 8th of 507.
I didn't see the detailed results, so have no idea how many people went sub 25 minutes.

running downhill, trying not to fall on my face!
View attachment 78877

good job, and here i thought the marathon had knocked some sense back into you . . . guess not, will have to come up with a backup plan!

rick81721

Lothar
Toe nail update!

Big toe: Nail is hanging by the cuticle/matrix. I might just have it removed, cause it will never heal.

-

Lined up for another 5k this weekend. It was at a vinyard, so the crowd was going to be mixed.
this was all on the cinder/dirt roads - which were in decent shape. not too many rocks or ruts.
a couple muddy areas, but avoidable. A little bit of elevation change, nothing too bad.

spent most of the run in 6th place. Couldn't hold on to the 5th place athlete after the 2 mile mark.
couple others decided to sprint the finish (they were lurking behind me most of the race), i didn't
have it in me, as i could feel the fatigue of last week's race - 22:47 so took 8th of 507.
I didn't see the detailed results, so have no idea how many people went sub 25 minutes.

running downhill, trying not to fall on my face!
View attachment 78877

Good job and glad to see you changed your avatar. Now go all the way and get a "I love running" avatar!

Patrick

Staff member
Good job and glad to see you changed your avatar. Now go all the way and get a "I love running" avatar!

?

1539620162778.png

Patrick

Staff member
holy crap -

choosing RV as my return to "real" mtb after 4 months of running was probably not the right play.
I'm paying for 15+miles and 3,000 feet of climbing. Stuff that i was previously able to ride, was just too steep.
the power wasn't there beyond a crawl (worse than my usual crawl) and I was off the bike a couple of times.

This is in direct contrast with having plenty of stamina. When i caught the group, there was no need to
rest - and i was quickly able to restablish on the less extreme grades.

I'm still freaked going downhill without feathering the brakes, but tried to let it go a bit more on the way back to the lot.
this really finished burning the legs, and managed to have cramps come-and-go for the rest of the evening.
Nothing too bad over night.

Anyway, looking to do more of these multi-hour adventures. See ya out there.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
I guess its true... different muscles between running and cycling?

Cramps came in the same muscles that I mentioned in the marathon recap -
probably more about the mechanics? i should start running off the bike, the last couple of duathlons were a disaster on the second run.

also minimum required power?

btw, mountain man http://www.mountainman.org/ is next weekend. bring it!

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
holy crap -

choosing RV as my return to "real" mtb after 4 months of running was probably not the right play.
I'm paying for 15+miles and 3,000 feet of climbing. Stuff that i was previously able to ride, was just too steep.
the power wasn't there beyond a crawl (worse than my usual crawl) and I was off the bike a couple of times.

This is in direct contrast with having plenty of stamina. When i caught the group, there was no need to
rest - and i was quickly able to restablish on the less extreme grades.

I'm still freaked going downhill without feathering the brakes, but tried to let it go a bit more on the way back to the lot.
this really finished burning the legs, and managed to have cramps come-and-go for the rest of the evening.
Nothing too bad over night.

Anyway, looking to fit in more of these multi-hour adventures. See ya out there.

glad you were able to joing us (lead?) and have a good time, the cycling power will come back quick if you keep at it (quicker than when you initially had to build it).

also, road riding is great for building/maintaining stamina compared to mtn biking (steady efforts are easier to come by, at least thats my theory)

Patrick

Staff member
I've been really lazy about the stamina aspect of training the last few weeks. Just not motivated.
Every day has been like a day at the gym. Up/down ladders with equipment, carrying stuff, straining.
The old body is toast at the end of the day. But i'll try to get out for a run in a bit, and Jungle on Monday should be fun.

I've lost 1 of the 3 toenails so far. the middle toe came off today - took a bit of surgery to get the last bit, but nothing an exacto knife couldn't handle.
The big toe nail was hanging, but too attached to mess with, other one is going to take a bit more time.

IMG_2540.JPG

--------------------------------

Had a great time working the NYC Marathon. Cool experience inside the ropes with @sarcaro on 5th ave, near the Guggenheim.
This was in the 23rd mile, a slight climb for a mile or so, and featured the turn into the park. We (team of 10) set-up the railings and banners.
Also did some crowd control, because it was amazing that people thought they should just walk in front of people racing.

The elite runners make it look easy. The lead F had a huge gap on the field. The front of the M group had a sprint finish, with 3rd not too far back.
Hand cycle and wheelchairs were also rolling through. Note the trucks with the clocks mounted, so they know their time.

IMG_2493.JPG

In an homage to Christina's World,(on display about 20 blocks away) I have named this Steph's World -

IMG_2502.JPG

This one came out particularly well - then let google do its thing.

22FA0F55-4899-4615-A979-5715438731B9.JPG

thegock

I've been really lazy about the stamina aspect of training the last few weeks. Just not motivated.
Every day has been like a day at the gym. Up/down ladders with equipment, carrying stuff, straining.
The old body is toast at the end of the day. But i'll try to get out for a run in a bit, and Jungle on Monday should be fun.

I've lost 1 of the 3 toenails so far. the middle toe came off today - took a bit of surgery to get the last bit, but nothing an exacto knife couldn't handle.
The big toe nail was hanging, but too attached to mess with, other one is going to take a bit more time.

--------------------------------

File under "Things that can't be unseen."

rick81721

Lothar

Man it's a shame to get in such good shape training for the marathon and then let it slip away. Start riding again! Didn't you setup a fake riding station? At least do that!

Patrick

Staff member
Man it's a shame to get in such good shape training for the marathon and then let it slip away. Start riding again! Didn't you setup a fake riding station? At least do that!

agree - although i think there is something to this strength thing too.
I have everything i need to get zwifting, just need to do some easy swaps (11 sp -> 10 sp cog, new stem) and ready to rock.
i put the trainer tire on the front wheel today! cause funny.

did an easy 5k today after eating, (hot sauce on a quiche.) came in right around 8min pace, with very little effort.
feet felt ok. i'll get back on it - lots of pressure on my project, but it is coming together nicely now. flemington turkey trot
if you are looking for a thursday morning run!

rick81721

Lothar
agree - although i think there is something to this strength thing too.
I have everything i need to get zwifting, just need to do some easy swaps (11 sp -> 10 sp cog, new stem) and ready to rock.
i put the trainer tire on the front wheel today! cause funny.

did an easy 5k today after eating, (hot sauce on a quiche.) came in right around 8min pace, with very little effort.
feet felt ok. i'll get back on it - lots of pressure on my project, but it is coming together nicely now. flemington turkey trot
if you are looking for a thursday morning run!

Hey Pat I passed this guy twice on hollow road on sunday, forgot to see if he was on strava until just now. He did a 14 mile run, climbing spring hill twice:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2008976866

Looking at his strava, he did a 100K race in April in 9 hrs 12 min, came in 2nd :oops:

Patrick

Staff member
Hey Pat I passed this guy twice on hollow road on sunday, forgot to see if he was on strava until just now. He did a 14 mile run, climbing spring hill twice:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2008976866

Looking at his strava, he did a 100K race in April in 9 hrs 12 min, came in 2nd :oops:

jeez - trail marathon at 3:12!
He ran farther than i biked this year. which doesn't say much for me. :(

Top Bottom