Clean Start

liong71er

20180525_160549.jpg

@fidodie i Sent you details and clue!

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
A little searching, and a little digging - buried treasure!

IMG_0829.JPG

Wait for it....

IMG_0832.JPG

Many thanks @liong71er ! I enjoyed doing/scoring BIYF this year, love reading/tracking your adventures,
and had a big smile as i pulled into the parking lot, with all the people there. I wonder what they were thinking when
i went into the corner and started turning things over????

Cheers, and thank you!

Patrick

Staff member
Another one for @UtahJoe - The plane parked next to ours is a twin engine dakota (i think it is a dakota)
Seems he forgot the most important button in the plane when making a landing...used the belly method.

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

i'm always amazed at how little damage is done to the hull - just scraped up. new panels and away they go.
probably needs $100k in engine and prop work tho

Anyway,
i did not fly today. I wanted to.
I did not ride today - wanted to do that too

going to enjoy a beer instead of ice cream, watch the mets game for as long as it is watchable,
go to bed early, and go big on the yard tomorrow. going to use all the tools!

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
No pics of yours?

it's an m20-c ranger. in green and white. ugly. needs everything. flies great.

can't find a pic.
-
as an aside, our mechanic works in old bridge, but lives around here somewhere.
He came up with a new heat tube (that charred orange hose) and inspected the damage.
nothing. that is good.

Patrick

Staff member
Just got back from a run. Well, it was more of a jog, and it was only 5km, but it is a start.

15 weeks from now I will be participating in the chicago marathon. If all goes as expected, i may then do the philly marathon 6 weeks later.

My coach tells me that 5km and 10km alternates for the first few weeks. maybe longer if i'm feeling it. just don't get injured.
Also have boot camp starting in a few weeks. Maybe be able to lift a bag of cement again. I think its a combo of trx and kettle bell.
Will document.....

The goal is to break 4 hours, which is a right on a 9 minute pace. (26.2x9=236 minutes) So i'll have to up my speed a bit, and work the endurance.
Previous half marathons were right in the 2 hours range, which included stops to wait for someone (who hid, rather than telling me to go !!) and a lifted
toe nail. Felt great, but i was in good running shape at the time - mostly because i was still running? Anyway, the half marathons are the longest i've ever
run, so this should be interesting - i mean, who has time to do a 4 hour training run? on the other hand, i am going to ride today, maybe twice.
I want to run this thing around 165lbs - which was my low last year. Gotta drop a little over 10lbs, and i know where that weight is stored!

here is a picture, cause they help. I'm running on the road with trail shoes, probably a bad idea for both the shoes and my legs.

Will remedy that tomorrow.

IMG_1044.JPG

Last edited:

liong71er

For me Running marathon is no easy,let alone running few block..to get groceries

You're brave and strong I hope you make it with no issue
Goodluck and have a fantastic marathon.

Patrick

Staff member
Chicago Marathon: 10/7/2018 Goal: 3:59:59 Current Run predictor: 4:07:00

@liong71er, Thank you for the encouragement. It is really all about the journey and the experience. I'm ready to embrace it.

--

4 runs so far this week. 3@5k 1@10k - since my coach thinks mountain biking is riding along the CT or D&R, she was a bit surprised
and wants a 15k tomorrow. I may go all badass and run in the rain. it isn't about the time, just the mileage.

Solved the running shoe problem. Picked up a pair of asics, gel soles. My kid wants to know why i got black - he doesn't know johnny cash.
The drop between the heal and the toe is 10mm - so think of the large spacer on your stem. it is amazing how much this is after running
in trail flats - 0 drop (slammed shoes?) - anyway, comfortable and high mileage capable, even tho heavy. I'll need to trim the laces down to reduce weight ;)

IMG_1177.JPG

Race predictor takes a current race time and projects it out - so I used my 10k time from the race with @JimN and @rick81721.
This isn't too far off - although i'll need to learn to fuel for a 4 hours race. all part of the training.

Strava has a 12 week plan, which starts July 16th - 4-5 runs per week, with xtraining days. I'll need to be very conservative
on the mtb, as an injury would really put a kink in the plan.

Right around 176lbs when i wake up. trending correctly

Beer a night, had two last night with my brother. But only 1 slice of pizza!

I'll need a couple of races between now and then to update the race predictor. July 29th Balloon fest 5k - check this one out.
Run, party at my house with shower/pool/hot tub. then back to the balloon festival for Credence Clearwater Revisited (i'm not sure what that means.)

Oh, last song while running my 10k.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Great start to the training plan! One word of advice tho - space out those runs, a rest day or cycling in between. Three runs in a row after doing 6 runs in 6 months - not a good idea. Which asics are those? I used to wear them but switched to pearl izumi, tho I don't buy road shoes. Re: race predictor, don't know how accurate they are, and I've never run a marathon, nor do I ever want to, but I know guys who run lots of them. You might remember Bob from the middle earth 10K that runs with Julie - he has done dozens of marathons (just did 2 in the last month!) and I think he broke 4 hrs once or twice. Gotta be @1:45-1:50 at the half!

Patrick

Staff member
Great start to the training plan! One word of advice tho - space out those runs, a rest day or cycling in between. Three runs in a row after doing 6 runs in 6 months - not a good idea. Which asics are those? I used to wear them but switched to pearl izumi, tho I don't buy road shoes. Re: race predictor, don't know how accurate they are, and I've never run a marathon, nor do I ever want to, but I know guys who run lots of them. You might remember Bob from the middle earth 10K that runs with Julie - he has done dozens of marathons (just did 2 in the last month!) and I think he broke 4 hrs once or twice. Gotta be @1:45-1:50 at the half!

The shoes are Gel Nimbus 20s - nice cushion.
Those runs were an easy pace, took thursday off, go longer/slower tomorrow. some cross-train sunday. repeat.
I'm going to reverse split the damn thing. 2:05, 1:55.... :D
People are also trying to talk me into run/walk. but that changes the training plan, and while it may be just as fast, i dunno.
Julie and Bob's Training pace is around 9:30 for 10 miler (i follow julie) - and it has been for a long time. if they don't up the pace......
Julie just runs that pace after swimming for an hour, and being on the bike for 3. We'll see - it is yet to be written!

qclabrat

Those runs were an easy pace, took thursday off, go longer/slower tomorrow. some cross-train sunday. repeat.
People are also trying to talk me into run/walk. but that changes the training plan, and while it may be just as fast, i dunno.
Julie and Bob's Training pace is around 9:30 for 10 miler (i follow julie) - and it has been for a long time. if they don't up the pace......
Julie just runs that pace after swimming for an hour, and being on the bike for 3. We'll see - it is yet to be written!
those your trainers? if so, what do you do for race day shoes? When I ran, I like Adidas trainers, cause they lasted for ever, but I also switched to Asics Gels. Very comfort and much lighter. Will follow along as it may inspire me to take to the road again. Good luck Pat

Patrick

Staff member
those your trainers? if so, what do you do for race day shoes? When I ran, I like Adidas trainers, cause they lasted for ever, but I also switched to Asics Gels. Very comfort and much lighter. Will follow along as it may inspire me to take to the road again. Good luck Pat

Thanks! i heard it is 90% luck, and the other half is determination.

That is a good question. i'm assuming i can get 400mi out of a pair of running shoes, i'll buy a second pair next month and start alternating.
training should take me into the 50mi/week range at some point, then taper, so i think i'll be able to run in the second set. I'll need to start learning the difference
with road shoes - they weigh a ton compared to what i was accustom to.

rick81721

Lothar

If I were you I would just try to finish without walking, but hey that's me. From what these guys say, even if you work up to a 20 mile run (at slower than race pace) prior to the marathon, nothing prepares you for that last 6.2. Good luck!

Patrick

Staff member
If I were you I would just try to finish without walking, but hey that's me. From what these guys say, even if you work up to a 20 mile run (at slower than race pace) prior to the marathon, nothing prepares you for that last 6.2. Good luck!

that is what i hear. sprinted through the finish at my first half. But that is only 2 hours - and hell, i was riding longer than that, with effort.
it is a serious time commitment - and yeah, i'd like to run/jog it all w/o walking. I may do one of the pace groups.

Patrick

Staff member
6 runs of various speed and distance this week. 4.5 hours, 28.5 miles, 1,400 feet climbing
That doubled the amount of running i've done all year!

Today's 4 miler kinda sucked after doing 9 yesterday. I was fine on the flats, but the inclines were tough.
Also noticed i'd rather run something short and steep, vs a long, uphill slog. I'll probably walk tomorrow,
then sweep fun monday.

@Norm and @Dominique, we head for Toronto on Wednesday (actually, we fly into Toronto, and drive to Niagra falls, then back to Toronto on Thursday)
Just checked out some of the posts from your last trip. Infinity Mirrors is gone, but we'll probably head over there anyway. Also going to do some bike path riding
and general tourist stuff. Definitely going to SkyDome for a baseball game (like the tappan zee, i don't care if the name changed)

Will post up some pics.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@fidodie - some notes:

1. Aga Khan Museum
2. Casa Loma
3. Dark Horse espresso bar
4. Nadega has some amazing macaroons
5. Soufi's Syrian, good for lunch
6. St. Lawrence Market
7. Pinky's Ca Phe
8. Bar Raval
9. Kinka Izakaya
10. Eggspectation for fairly good breakfast. A Chain but a good one.

Patrick

Staff member
i'll write up the trip report to Canada later tonight. Until then, I'd recommend you start planning your trip to Niagara Falls - on the Canadian side.

Here is a little teaser. Didn't matter how old, or what culture: Everyone was standing there in awe.

panorama just for a teaser.

IMG_1347 - Edited.jpg

Top Bottom