Clean Start

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Haven't gone carbon road wheels yet (@stb222 will snap) but I've been happy with the ksyrium sls wheels.
Carbon wheels on the road make more sense then on the mtb. Well, less risk of trashing a $800 rim on a rock anyways. The dura ace wheels I have area carbon / alum combo, basically some of the benefits of carbon with better braking. Also, steel spokes FTW. Aluminum spokes are so damn rigid.

soulchild

the EVO frame is sweet. Time to turn it into a rolling frameset with some cheap-ass wheels, while i save some coin for something nice.
suggestions? Ksyrium pro carbon sl c? wonder if i have a road stem around?

The bike is sick, enjoy it.

For wheels it sounds like @stb222 hit the mark. Those C24's get great reviews. They crossed my mind when I was thinking of how I wanted to build my anti-carbon setup. I wanted black brake tracks (and didn't want to bother with a custom build) so I chose the ceramic coated Vittoria Elusion Nero. They're certainly not the 303's I ran before, but contrary to a previous comment, no aluminum hoop will compare to a Zipp carbon wheelset. Another good alternative would be something like a custom HED Belgium build. I would sacrifice a little weight for a bulletproof wheelset.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Today is the start of a "cleanse" day, actually 2 days, as @xc62701 mentioned . No real food, except i can have an apple or hard boiled egg,
or their astronaut food as snacks, a couple times a day. Also get to drink their cleanse - which isn't bad, a light raspberry flavor. it isn't sweet, but
given everything else, it is the sweetest thing on the menu. They also prescribe coffee to keep energy up. I'll be sleeping by 9pm.

Here is the weight chart since 4/24/2017 - directionally correct!
Red actually means "no measurement" - so much for good data visualization where weight is concerned.

IMG_6861.PNG

That big red blob in the middle is the week leading up to memorial day. The low point before the red, was a day i officiated at
the skyland's conf track and field championship. Didn't bring enough water with me.

Work has been busy, so I haven't gotten on the bike! Could get on the bike right now, but I'm waiting for a call. And if i do, the a/c guy
will show up, and i'll be in ringoes.

My son has been given a running program for the summer, which leads into fall xc. I doubt i'll be able to get a teenager up for a morning run,
but you never know. He'll need a larger road frame than me. I might take him shopping soon. at least riding in the heat creates some wind. 8th grade
graduation tonight. How does this happen?

more EVO decisions coming.....big ones. well sort of.

xc62701

Today is the start of a "cleanse" day, actually 2 days, as @xc62701 mentioned . No real food, except i can have an apple or hard boiled egg,
or their astronaut food as snacks, a couple times a day. Also get to drink their cleanse - which isn't bad, a light raspberry flavor. it isn't sweet, but
given everything else, it is the sweetest thing on the menu. They also prescribe coffee to keep energy up. I'll be sleeping by 9pm.

Here is the weight chart since 4/24/2017 - directionally correct!
Red actually means "no measurement" - so much for good data visualization where weight is concerned.

View attachment 53537

That big red blob in the middle is the week leading up to memorial day. The low point before the red, was a day i officiated at
the skyland's conf track and field championship. Didn't bring enough water with me.

Work has been busy, so I haven't gotten on the bike! Could get on the bike right now, but I'm waiting for a call. And if i do, the a/c guy
will show up, and i'll be in ringoes.

My son has been given a running program for the summer, which leads into fall xc. I doubt i'll be able to get a teenager up for a morning run,
but you never know. He'll need a larger road frame than me. I might take him shopping soon. at least riding in the heat creates some wind. 8th grade
graduation tonight. How does this happen?

more EVO decisions coming.....big ones. well sort of.
When do you weigh yourself? Try to be consistent whatever it is. Supposedly you are lightest in the morning. I usually wake up. Use the restroom and then weigh myself before jumping in the shower. If I want to feel better about myself I'll get a morning workout in and then weigh myself when I'm usually 2lb lighter after sweating it out :) I know it's cheating but the low number makes you feel better.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am always amazed at peoples weight swings in a relatively short period. I dont weigh myself everyday anymore (twice in the past 8 months?) but when I did my weight was always plus or minus probably 2lbs. Steady state FTW.

I know the theory is that seeing your weight everyday keep you honest but I see limited return on stressing over a weight number unless it falls in the overweight category, which I am not sure you are.

Patrick

Staff member
When do you weigh yourself? Try to be consistent whatever it is. Supposedly you are lightest in the morning. I usually wake up. Use the restroom and then weigh myself before jumping in the shower. If I want to feel better about myself I'll get a morning workout in and then weigh myself when I'm usually 2lb lighter after sweating it out :) I know it's cheating but the low number makes you feel better.

Typically have coffee and a glass of water, take time to "read something" - then weigh in.
The results while "reading something" have not been extraordinary, nothing to report.

i did sneak on the scale straight out of bed today, and was about 1lb lighter than recorded - cause i drank about 20 oz of liquid before the official weigh-in.

Patrick

Staff member
I am always amazed at peoples weight swings in a relatively short period. I don't weigh myself everyday anymore (twice in the past 8 months?) but when I did my weight was always plus or minus probably 2lbs. Steady state FTW.

I know the theory is that seeing your weight everyday keep you honest but I see limited return on stressing over a weight number unless it falls in the overweight category, which I am not sure you are.

i'm a numbers guy - i weigh just to get the data point - but i'm more interested in the trend.
Looking at the monday morning data - i can see memorial day and father's day as breaking the short term trends, but not disrupting the long term.

I do have a goal of losing weight, so i'll agree that seeing it, reinforces the behavior.

Seems you've had your diet/exercise plan locked in for a long time. The consistency is impressive, and contributes to one size of clothes.

Me, not-so-much. I do crave variety - and have lots of years of bad habits.

the goal here is to be lighter, in better shape, so i can ride with more people (or at least slow them down less?)
My clothes are starting to fit, that is a good start.

Really should ride sometime today.

rick81721

Lothar
I am always amazed at peoples weight swings in a relatively short period. I dont weigh myself everyday anymore (twice in the past 8 months?) but when I did my weight was always plus or minus probably 2lbs. Steady state FTW.

Yeah that's just water loss/gain. The longer-term trend is more important, Pat is going in the right direction.

Patrick

Staff member
Money no issue then carbon wheels make the most sense all around. Thoughts?

I think i could justify the occasional cost of a trashed rim, but knowing my "style" - it wouldn't be occasionally.
That said, i'm having a set of 29ers built for the tallboy. for race day! (known as participation day without a medal in my parts)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Money no issue then carbon wheels make the most sense all around. Thoughts?
If money is no issue, then I guess it doesnt matter. Once dick brakes take over on the road scene, full carbon rims will be no question

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I may be one of the guys that thinks this is the other way around. After owning nearly every carbon road wheel on the planet, I'm still faster on a standard set of box aluminum wheels. 100% of the time, even on flats. Probably 40 thousand miles of data to back up said statement. My theory is that the momentum carried by a heavy alloy rim far outweighs any benefit a carbon wheel offers. Plus they're more comfortable, and comfort is fast. So is traction. Just my .02. Buy handbuilt alloys.

On another note. Did you shit yourself yet or does it take a few days to kick in? I'm feeling like a stop at White Castle might net the same result in 1/10th the time.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I may be one of the guys that thinks this is the other way around. After owning nearly every carbon road wheel on the planet, I'm still faster on a standard set of box aluminum wheels. 100% of the time, even on flats. Probably 40 thousand miles of data to back up said statement. My theory is that the momentum carried by a heavy alloy rim far outweighs any benefit a carbon wheel offers. Plus they're more comfortable, and comfort is fast. So is traction. Just my .02. Buy handbuilt alloys.

On another note. Did you shit yourself yet or does it take a few days to kick in? I'm feeling like a stop at White Castle might net the same result in 1/10th the time.

Like for the shit yourself comment:)

Patrick

Staff member

previously updated.....

The results while "reading something" have not been extraordinary, nothing to report.

Top Bottom