Clean Start

I do not live in fear

200.gif

will clarify - i don't live in fear of being intentionally injured by someone else in a random act of violence.
Street smarts guide where i shouldn't be, to minimize the possibility of crimes of opportunity.
That said, i scare the shit out of myself sometime. (literally, with this intestine thing going on)

You are paying attention. That is appreciated.

Some disjointed ideas.

Foniasophobia - the fear of being murdered
Scelerophobia - the fear of being the victim of a crime
Traumatophobia - the fear of injuring yourself
Thanatophobia - the fear of death

i'm getting an idea for another song parody - Night Ranger: Zwift Me Away - might take a few days.

i wouldn't consider many of the heavy metal bands from the 90s that heavy. (NR is from the '80s. you know, the sweet spot! Long Live Prince)

Is it bad that i'm looking at the direction of the wind, and thinking i could KOM the sprint down the street from me?

Happy Holi.

That is all! i have some work to do.

Not sure if anyone's been to an Indian party, they, esp the Punjabis, know a good time. We used to be regulars at the China Club when the Bollywood craze hit 'merica. Funny thing is that Caucasian males have a hard time with their dances, reason being that they are not used to using their hands and arms to dance. I didn't notice that till my Indian friends would point them out. I'm actually looking for Indian dance lessons to rekindle the good old days with the SO. Anyone know where?

Not sure if anyone's been to an Indian party, they, esp the Punjabis, know a good time. We used to be regulars at the China Club when the Bollywood craze hit 'merica. Funny thing is that Caucasian males have a hard time with their dances, reason being that they are not used to using their hands and arms to dance. I didn't notice that till my Indian friends would point them out. I'm actually looking for Indian dance lessons to rekindle the good old days with the SO. Anyone know where?

I've gone to a weddings - well, at least the day-of ceremony, party. 2,500 attendees from all over the world (mother was a published economist, Father worked in humanitarian aid supply chain) - I've been to some large company parties - this was bigger.

Quick update!
With paragraphs and maybe some correctly formatted lists.....it's a process, trust the process.

The Bikes

I like the recent chatter on the board about eShifting. I agree, the price is high right now, but it has to come down.
The same units can be used to run 10/11/12 sp by just a change in programming. With increased production volume, more
customer acceptance, and maybe a back-up plan if the battery goes dead - the price should come down.
Manufacturing stuff is easy compared to running cables and housings. So why no eTap on mtb yet?

Last week:​

The least expensive DI2 1x retrofit setup is around $650. Derailleur/shifter/battery/harness - a $400+ premium over xt.

--

I've been riding the supersix through the rain, and just giving it a quick rinse and some lube. It deserves a break-down and clean-up.
The brake tracks on the ksyriums have taken a beating - i think they were black, not anymore. As mentioned, the shifting is working
great, but needs a tweak up front to keep the chain from going OTT. There is a bit of a BB creak, which will be addressed at clean-up time.

It is time to swap wheels on the superX and use that for bad weather rides from here on out. The small chainring on this bike is 36T,
so a little more work to propel uphill, which is good.

Tallboy needs some love. I've been farm road, field, and bushwacking it the last couple weeks. Just like clothes picking up
hitch-hikers, the bike has various bits of grass, and weeds stuck everywhere! Probably break-out the power washer!

There is an n+? coming..stay tuned.

The Digestion Distress

F*king lower GI is still a mess. It is trending the right way tho. That is enough details, no?
Couple more days of meds, followed by more soft food, until "things" normalize.
Somewhat like the cleanse, i've been low calorie for the the last bunch of days to minimize symptoms, so
I'm cold all the time! It was almost 50 yesterday, and i dressed like it was in the 30s for my ride.

Inside Two Weeks to HOH

Current thought is to ride the supersix with 25mm gatorskins. These tires worked last year.
I'm determined to complete the whole course, this is how i see it happening.
  • very slow start
  • slow middle
  • slow finish
  • beer
Gotta have a plan! Long range weather is predicted to be average temperature with an average chance of rain, allowing for some variation.

Riding

16 day, unimpressive streak. Coach Kevin keeps reminding me of that. I will use his hard-love to continue to push
my bike. :D This streak has only been topped by the July challenge months, so I'll take that as a win.
March has traditionally been the month with the least amount of riding. Looking back, 2013 was the best
at 40 hours. The next in line was last year with 12, and half of that was HOH.....Maybe the streak will continue?
Maybe it won't. But I'll try to up the riding volume, and eventually the intensity, so my rides don't keep getting shat on!

Looking forward to short track version 3.11, hopefully it happens. Will see which bike i bring, and what bikes i bring home!

Accessories!

Tripp@Halters suggested that I take a look at Lake mtb shoes, since the winter pair fit so well.
Couple of boxes I wanted to check were:
  1. no velcro closures
  2. two adjustments per shoe (BOA)
  3. wide toe box
Settled on the MX-237X. @jdog sized me up, and chose the enduro model (don't read into that.) There were some color options,
and this happened! Much excitement, just need to mind where i put them down, as they could disappear into the background.

IMG_0194 - Edited (1).jpg

My feet are shaped like a slice of pizza, very wide across the ball, and longer 1st toe.
These are going to work well. Lake from here on out! Thanks guys.

Also went with the Knog Blinder tail light per @stb222 and @Mountain Bike Mike - posted a pic in the BIYF thread last week.
Here it is again. With my riding volume, it could go two weeks between charges on the fancy blink setting. Testing that theory now.

knog.gif

Be well - fun friday is coming!

Last edited:
Quick update!
With paragraphs and maybe some correctly formatted lists.....it's a process, trust the process.

The Bikes

I like the recent chatter on the board about eShifting. I agree, the price is high right now, but it has to come down.
The same units can be used to run 10/11/12 sp by just a change in programming. With increased production volume, more
customer acceptance, and maybe a back-up plan if the battery goes dead - the price should come down.
Manufacturing stuff is easy compared to running cables and housings. So why no eTap on mtb yet?

Last week:​

The least expensive DI2 1x retrofit setup is around $650. Derailleur/shifter/battery/harness - a $400+ premium over xt.

--

I've been riding the supersix through the rain, and just giving it a quick rinse and some lube. It deserves a break-down and clean-up.
The brake tracks on the ksyriums have taken a beating - i think they were black, not anymore. As mentioned, the shifting is working
great, but needs a tweak up front to keep the chain from going OTT. There is a bit of a BB creak, which will be addressed at clean-up time.

It is time to swap wheels on the superX and use that for bad weather rides from here on out. The small chainring on this bike is 36T,
so a little more work to propel uphill, which is good.

Tallboy needs some love. I've been farm road, field, and bushwacking it the last couple weeks. Just like clothes picking up
hitch-hikers, the bike has various bits of grass, and weeds stuck everywhere! Probably break-out the power washer!

There is an n+? coming..stay tuned.

The Digestion Distress

F*king lower GI is still a mess. It is trending the right way tho. That is enough details, no?
Couple more days of meds, followed by more soft food, until "things" normalize.
Somewhat like the cleanse, i've been low calorie for the the last bunch of days to minimize symptoms, so
I'm cold all the time! It was almost 50 yesterday, and i dressed like it was in the 30s for my ride.

Inside Two Weeks to HOH

Current thought is to ride the supersix with 25mm gatorskins. These tires worked last year.
I'm determined to complete the whole course, this is how i see it happening.
  • very slow start
  • slow middle
  • slow finish
  • beer
Gotta have a plan! Long range weather is predicted to be average temperature with an average chance of rain, allowing for some variation.

Riding

16 day, unimpressive streak. Coach Kevin keeps reminding me of that. I will use his hard-love to continue to push
my bike. :D This streak has only been topped by the July challenge months, so I'll take that as a win.
March has traditionally been the month with the least amount of riding. Looking back, 2013 was the best
at 40 hours. The next in line was last year with 12, and half of that was HOH.....Maybe the streak will continue?
Maybe it won't. But I'll try to up the riding volume, and eventually the intensity, so my rides don't keep getting shat on!

Looking forward to short track version 3.11, hopefully it happens. Will see what bike i bring, and what bikes i bring home!

Accessories!

Tripp@Halters suggested that I take a look at Lake mtb shoes, since the winter pair fit so well.
Couple of boxes I wanted to check were:
  1. no velcro closures
  2. two adjustments per shoe (BOA)
  3. wide toe box
Settled on the MX-237X. @jdog sized me up, and chose the enduro model (don't read into that.) There were some color options,
and this happened! Much excitement, just need to mind where i put them down, as they could disappear into the background.

View attachment 64902

My feet are shaped like a slice of pizza, very wide across the ball, and longer 1st toe.
These are going to work well. Lake from here on out! Thanks guys.

Also went with the Knog Blinder tail light per @stb222 and @Mountain Bike Mike - posted a pic in the BIYF thread last week.
Here it is again. With my riding volume, it could go two weeks between charges on the fancy blink setting. Testing that theory now.

View attachment 64910

Yeah man, these speeds are embarrassing, like making @rick81721 look like a speed demon. You get somewhat of a pass due to the possibility of shitting yourself.

The downside of wet rides is it murders TF out of gear, especially the drivetrain. A chain, pulleys and a BB are the cost of doing winter business. However BB can be mitigated by getting a Kogel BB (for the EVO) and a Praxxis for the CX bike. FWIW, I don't think those brake tracks were ever black.

View attachment 64910

thanks for the reminder, i need to bring mine up and charge it, first time to be charged this year :O (amazing battery life or lack of use, you decide!)

Yeah man, these speeds are embarrassing, like making @rick81721 look like a speed demon. You get somewhat of a pass due to the possibility of shitting yourself.

Haha - coach Rick would say forget about a "streak" and do 3 quality rides a week - EVERY week. And if you want to get somewhat ready for HoH, forget the crapper park rides and just stick to the Evo.

Haha - coach Rick would say forget about a "streak" and do 3 quality rides a week - EVERY week. And if you want to get somewhat ready for HoH, forget the crapper park rides and just stick to the Evo.
I agree, the streaks are a good thing to strive for but they have a limited fitness return.

That being said, 3 rides a week is crazy talk. 6 days, one rest.

I agree, the streaks are a good thing to strive for but they have a limited fitness return.

That being said, 3 rides a week is crazy talk. 6 days, one rest.

Agree fully but we are talking Pat here. 3 rides a week consistently is better than 1 ride a week for a month or 2, then suddenly realize a big ride is coming up so - ride every day!

i'm training for hillier than thou - can't you tell by all the climbing?
also planning my rides around public bathrooms has been a challenge.
Besides, i gotta get a top 10 in biyf - short term priorities.
heading out in a few minutes to ride through someone's yard.

Well damn. Here we are, April 1st -

What happened to March? Maybe one of the strangest weather months in quite some time.
Snow, rain, wind, large temperature spread, repeat. North NJ posting up snow rides day-after-day, with only the smallest piles
still hanging-in below route 78.

I attempted to embrace the rain - at least the light rain - and kept riding. It wasn't horrible, a long, hot shower to
recover was required some days. It does provide a sense of accomplishment - or was it more happy-to-survive feeling!
Going into HOH, i had ridden 21 of the previous 26 days, and 3 of those off-days were directly
preceding the ride. It definitely paid-off, although slow, the outcome was never in question. Put in some saddle time after HOH too.

Ended up 12th in BIYF - missing a top 10 by 4 hours. Great job everyone, I'll be back next year!!! :D
In the meantime, keep an eye on the tournament! Some very close head-to-head matches.

March Summary: 45h 50m 483 miles 26 rides

That would be the second highest time total for a month in the last 5 years, and my highest March by quite a bit. The word that comes to mind is variety.
It was a mix of country road, urban, tow path, paved path, field-side, snow-packed trail, single-track, mtb on the road, and jeep-road exploration.
Good month! It also included n+2 as @extremedave reorganized his stable, and I came out with what is probably opposites on the spectrum.
A Mukluk, and Superfly SS. Superfly hasn't seen any action yet - but the Muk has been a blast.

IMG_0293.JPG

Digestive system update. It is still screwed up. A little bit of pain, and lots of "noise" - in a quiet room, it becomes the entertainment.

Weight is hovering in the mid-to-high 170s, so slowly trending back to last summer's number of sub-170. Maybe sometime in May...
maybe not. Why obsess? Seems to me it is a result of the process, not the start. Not that there is any plan, other than keep pedaling.

Spring is here. Hopefully you all were able to visit/contact family for the traditional holidays.

See you all April 8, for the 10k throwdown at Duke Island Park. http://www.middleearthnj.org/10K
Then Mooch Madness - where i will be reminded how slow i really am!

Lets go Mets!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom