Clean Start

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
but i had it on the last bike
Whatever you were doing with it, it wasn't great. See: chewed up internals in my race report. ;)

I actually like it - I flail around like a dying animal and it make sure I only upshift when I intend to, not when I go to switch hand positions from tops to hoods, half-miss, and whack the brake lever.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Whatever you were doing with it, it wasn't great. See: chewed up internals in my race report. ;)

I actually like it - I flail around like a dying animal and it make sure I only upshift when I intend to, not when I go to switch hand positions from tops to hoods, half-miss, and whack the brake lever.

saw that! Veloviewer says i put 1400 miles on that bike. guess a little maintenance would have helped.

i guess having a stationary lever to protect the shifting mechanism has its benefit. Going through the upshift point to get to a downshift (or multi gear downshift - i think force is 3 cogs at full throw?)

could go electronic. but $$$.

Patrick

Staff member
Lovely participation medal

The longer throw is what, 0.125"? If it is much of a concern, you can hold the lever on the bar and trigger the shit from there, which is why it is on a hinge.

i musta been having a moment - i didn't even have to think about it after 3 minutes....

of course i went down on a front wheel lock up tonight and messed up my thumb - but that is a different story,
got new brake pads and had alot of chatter from the front. Hopefully they just need to break-in?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i musta been having a moment - i didn't even have to think about it after 3 minutes....

of course i went down on a front wheel lock up tonight and messed up my thumb - but that is a different story,
got new brake pads and had alot of chatter from the front. Hopefully they just need to break-in?
Operator error. ;)
First lesson of braking, don't use them.

Patrick

Staff member
Operator error. ;)
First lesson of braking, don't use them.

i was trying to stay ahead of @Mountain Bike Mike after he had to pit.
went in a little hot. wasn't even thinking it was a possibility.

Almost like water skiing, when you are going down, there is no use hanging on!

--

and on not braking - near the end i was able to judge the corners a bit better, and trust the bike.

Wheels are still intact.

Patrick

Staff member
And that will put a wrap on CX season for the year!

My thumb was feeling pretty good on friday - no more clicking. still sore, but not bad.
Went to pick up something heavy with fingertip pressure using my thumb and POP!
Almost passed-out. took one of those emergency opiates that ya keep around just in case.

iced it up, and spent the rest of the day pissed-off, really angry. Decided to bring the bike to hippo in the
morning and give it a go. about 3 turns in, i knew it wasn't going to work. couldn't get comfortable in the hoods, and
it was too much bouncing in the drops.

Hung for a few races to enjoy the scene. Went home and tried to get things done around the house without using my thumb.
Yeah, no. And of course it is the thumb used for shifting the mtb. Great.

Made it to the dr today, and he wasn't too concerned. Partial tear of the extensor tendon. Splint it for 6 weeks, and don't do anything
that will jamb, twist, or flex your finger in any unnatural direction. Pain will subside over time. I give that...

IMG_7742.JPG

Picked up a wrap around brace - no carbon fiber involved.

Who wants to buy a cx bike?

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member

for when extreme pain comes, or you need to make $5 really quickly....i have a nice collection from various surgeries, nobody needs a 2 week supply of oxy
after labrum repair.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
for when extreme pain comes, or you need to make $5 really quickly....i have a nice collection from various surgeries, nobody needs a 2 week supply of oxy
after labrum repair.
I have had a handful of things where a narcotic was prescribed and I have yet to take one and typically I don't even fill the prescription. I am not against it but just never had enough pain to take it.

My boss said a similar thing one day so I guess I am just abnormal.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Oh so this is why.

Did I forget to tell you that cross is just stupid

Never admit you injured it while doing cross or worst tri. You be better off saying you slammed it in the car door.

Heal up!

Disappointed Matty :(

Thought there'd be a crackendale jibe in there somewhere. ;)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Oh so this is why.

Did I forget to tell you that cross is just stupid

Never admit you injured it while doing cross or worst tri. You be better off saying you slammed it in the car door.

Heal up!
From being on here he should have learned a list of excuses:

Didn't warm up
I f'ed my taper up
I brought the wrong gearing
It just wasn't my day
The course didn't suit me
That last training block just didn't produce the expected results

Patrick

Staff member
I have had a handful of things where a narcotic was prescribed and I have yet to take one and typically I don't even fill the prescription. I am not against it but just never had enough pain to take it.

My boss said a similar thing one day so I guess I am just abnormal.

yes to both. :D

took percs for 1 day after having my wisdom teeth extracted - i woke up while they were working on the last tooth. Assistant says "oh god, he's awake" - my response was "hurry up" (may have been in my head, since they were working on my mouth.)
took oxy for one day after my shoulder repair (SLAP tear)
took 1 tramadol after having the drain pulled out of my abdomen - (although i documented the demerol they gave me in the hospital - wow)
have some tylenol with codeine around somewhere - think this the wife's after knee surgery
and Robitussin with codeine - best way to get a kid to sleep during allergy season (it was prescribed just for that.)

threw the percs out. still have the others. This is the first time i actually took one for self-inflicted pain, and it helped quickly. I'm sure i could have toughed it out,
but i was on the verge of throwing up or passing out. So made the call.

my face plant/auger move at 6MR wasn't as bad...

----

ok - actual cause - didn' t de-tune my front brakes enough to prevent fork flex, which didn't allow smooth brake modulation. wheel locked up, and took me out.
another stupid cannondale design flaw

Top Bottom