Clean Start

jackx

If we get a somerset locals ride going maybe we can work up to a century that doesn't require you to be a goat. That's a start!

It may be hard to find a relatively flat century around here. Even the Gran Fondo NJ 107 mile route is listed at 8,847 feet. When I completed that a few weeks ago, I was eating Cliff Margarita 3X Sodium Shot Bloks like it was my job and I still experienced some cramping.

Might have to go far south to make a century route with significantly less elevation.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
1,000 feet in a century is suppper flat, and boring. Anything less than 5,000 is doable without being a "goat". Hills actually make for a faster ride because you have the downhills to rest/coast, besides, the scenery usually better around the hills anyways, which can make it easier mentally.

If you want flat-er, go through the valleys to get to the river and 29, ride the almost flat on either side (NJ is flatter-er by the river where the Pa side is alittle more rolly) then get over the river ridge and ride the platue back home. Flat with purdy hills is a win win and the hills
Let you hide from the wind where in the fields
Near robbinsville they will make you hate life.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
1,000 feet in a century is suppper flat, and boring. Anything less than 5,000 is doable without being a "goat". Hills actually make for a faster ride because you have the downhills to rest/coast, besides, the scenery usually better around the hills anyways, which can make it easier mentally.

If you want flat-er, go through the valleys to get to the river and 29, ride the almost flat on either side (NJ is flatter-er by the river where the Pa side is alittle more rolly) then get over the river ridge and ride the platue back home. Flat with purdy hills is a win win and the hills
Let you hide from the wind where in the fields
Near robbinsville they will make you hate life.

I like this loop - all the familiar hills near home. Never too far away to make a phone call.....

https://www.strava.com/activities/348245083

it finishes with easy rollers from the dead battery to home. To make it stupid, i could cross rt 22 in lebanon, and go up cokesbury -> rockaway rd

Reactions: rlb

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
branchburg to robbinsville and back...with some extra - maybe @michael.su house? def can get 1000' in......

https://www.strava.com/activities/27342707
Yeah, I've got plenty of flat. It's a good thing because I've go zero fitness to match it right now... I'm ready for the NJ Mountain Biking fest @ Ringwood!
Lol
Kevin is right in regards to road though, I'd take hills over wind any day.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
here's an even dumber central NJ idea. plan a loop where we can use each other's houses as rest stops. fill the water, snag some food... last house everyone passes out. dibs on the couch. man its like a party on wheels.

rlb

here's an even dumber central NJ idea. plan a loop where we can use each other's houses as rest stops. fill the water, snag some food... last house everyone passes out. dibs on the couch. man its like a party on wheels.

I'm not a good stop on a road loop, but I am a nice water stop for a CR to canal to six mile ride

Patrick

Staff member

This sounds like a bail out plan in the making.

I was thinking a tour of general stores could work - but who wants to pay $2 for a bottle of water.

Patrick

Staff member
Woohoo! 90 cyclists on the course for the 4/5 40+ cat 5 race at Hippo CX.

Hey @Po123, do we know anyone else in the 4/5 race?

i'm not sure sram double tap is the wtg in a cx race. seems like too much to think about, and a long throw to downshift.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Woohoo! 90 cyclists on the course for the 4/5 40+ cat 5 race at Hippo CX.

Hey @Po123, do we know anyone else in the 4/5 race?

i'm not sure sram double tap is the wtg in a cx race. seems like too much to think about, and a long throw to downshift.
my Crux was SRAM Apex. I kinda liked it for CX. This is gonna be a great day. Hippo folks are really putting a lot of effort into making it a fun vibe. Bubble does also, and Caff. See you Saturday, bright and surly.

Patrick

Staff member
Not sure if serious.

really just the longer throw - but i had it on the last bike, and probably didn't think about it after the start......
just being spoiled now.

----

a major award!

IMG_7709 - Edited.jpg

Check the mail if you participated in the strava climbing challenge....a little award, but they have to give
me something for sending email every other day.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
really just the longer throw - but i had it on the last bike, and probably didn't think about it after the start......
just being spoiled now.

----

a major award!

View attachment 57729

Check the mail if you participated in the strava climbing challenge....a little award, but they have to give
me something for sending email every other day.
Lovely participation medal

The longer throw is what, 0.125"? If it is much of a concern, you can hold the lever on the bar and trigger the shit from there, which is why it is on a hinge.

Top Bottom