Clean Roads make Nice Rides

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
This Saturday, 4/29/17, volunteers will be clearing litter on Meriden Rd in Rockaway Township. They meet 8AM at the intersection with Green Pond Road by Rockaway Bagel and Deli who is also a local supporter.

This has been in practice for well over 10 years, and unfortunately is needed yearly. While the remote nature of the road makes for a good ride, it also promotes littering. The effort is supported by the township who uses grant funding to supply bags and gloves, and the labor for collection and removal. Volunteers fill the bags, the town employees pick them up the next working day.

So while out riding this weekend, realize that our roads don't clean themselves, it takes work. Most towns don't deploy crews to clean litter. DoC programs also do more than most realize, but focus on highways, rest areas and waterways. So if this matters to you, consider supporting your local Clean Community efforts and deter littering. If your in a bike club, consider organizing a clean up of your favorite road.

http://www.njclean.org/

Kaleidopete

This Saturday, 4/29/17, volunteers will be clearing litter on Meriden Rd in Rockaway Township. They meet 8AM at the intersection with Green Pond Road by Rockaway Bagel and Deli who is also a local supporter.

This has been in practice for well over 10 years, and unfortunately is needed yearly. While the remote nature of the road makes for a good ride, it also promotes littering. The effort is supported by the township who uses grant funding to supply bags and gloves, and the labor for collection and removal. Volunteers fill the bags, the town employees pick them up the next working day.

So while out riding this weekend, realize that our roads don't clean themselves, it takes work. Most towns don't deploy crews to clean litter. DoC programs also do more than most realize, but focus on highways, rest areas and waterways. So if this matters to you, consider supporting your local Clean Community efforts and deter littering. If your in a bike club, consider organizing a clean up of your favorite road.

http://www.njclean.org/
What ever happened to the County Jail prisoners getting out and cleaning up?!
Now that was a worthwhile program! Make our roads clean again!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
What ever happened to the County Jail prisoners getting out and cleaning up?!
Now that was a worthwhile program! Make our roads clean again!

they have to be paid fair wages.
Personally, i think they should be paid reduced sentences - but that is just me.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Driving on Waterloo road today Patty and I were appalled by the amount of litter along the road. Seems worst then ever. I don't understand the mentality of this disgusting act of tossing garbage out of a car.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I see state guys doing work on the NJTPK.
I looked up Meridan Road and it has municipal jurisdiction, but does have a higher classification than local, so it is eligible for Federal Aid. In any case, good luck getting any agency to pay people to clean it up.

Top Bottom