Chronicles of a Cat 3 Schlub

Wut mount be dat? Stem on MTB is really short, Garmin looks oversized when mounted there... The out front combo is baller on the CX bike doe.

I need to find a better way to mount the GoPro on Katie's bike. We had the on top of the bars mount similar to the pic above and she snapped it off in her crash at LewMo. Broke the tether too.

I need to find a better way to mount the GoPro on Katie's bike. We had the on top of the bars mount similar to the pic above and she snapped it off in her crash at LewMo. Broke the tether too.
K-Edge is the way to go..... I guess I really just need to not GAF about the number plate.
Garmin and camera
https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mounts/garmin-mounts/gopro-garmin-combo-mount/

or just camera
https://k-edge.com/shop/light-and-action-camera-mounts/go-big-pro-handlebar-mount-2/

H2H #3
MTBNJ's Stewart Poison Ivy Mousetrap
Men's Cat 2, 19+

Amateur hour at Stewart turned into a MONSTER FUCKING EVENT as far as H2H goes. Something like over 325 racers when it was all done and dusted. Massive fields, Van Dessel demo fleet, burgers/dogs/pickles, and a freezer full of FREE ICE CREAM!

After spending the morning directing cars down the road or up to the main small lot, I lined up for my noon race at about 11:45. (We will do more bettererer with signage next year, grammar, prolly knot.) I was a little flustered because I forgot my Garmin at home, and not knowing the course, having mileage available is helpful. :shrug:

I lined up in the first or second row, @Norm started giving instructions, and the points leader in the series asked about call ups, so Norm called him up. The massive horn goes off and the first two rows are shot out of a cannon at fucking warp speed. Sketch AF. Before we get to cross the timing mats, two doods in front of me on the left lock bars or something and like 4-5 guys hit the deck. HARD. There was a bike in the air, inverted, with the wheels over my head. I guess they're all ok, cause no ambulance usage. We hit the hard right into the ST a little more spread out and single file than we would have without the pileup. I feel like I was near top ten here? Not sure... doesn't matter, since I spent the rest of the lap bleeding spots. I pushed the whole way, loved this loop that @UtahJoe & co put together. So much fun. Had no idea where I was on course, other than glancing at my watch for time.
Lap 1, 46:01, 21st of 34.
Going into lap 2, I was really just hoping to maintain position, not give up any more spots, and possibly pick off a few guys that went out too hard and blew up. About a mile or two into the lap, something was wrong with my brakes. First, full lever pull with zero pressure. Then full pressure with no lever movement. Then the wheel locked up for a moment.... Then a grinding noise, with limited wheel movement. I stopped and aimlessly pulled the lever, spun the wheel, cursed, etc. Race over. A bunch of guys passed and asked if I was ok. No, not really, carry on. Then @1sh0t1b33r came up and started yelling "pour water on it". I didn't have water, only Skratch drink. So he stopped, and tried pouring water from his camelbak onto the reservoir "to cool it down". Then the caliper. That's when I noticed the the pads were halfway out. FML. The pistons were engaged against the rotor. Now DNF is official...... Magic carried on his race, and I walked/rode back to the road, after @jimvreeland who was trailing his son gave me the official you're fucked diagnosis.
So that's that. DNF.

Thank you again to everyone that came out for amateur hour, and supported the PIMT.

H2H #4
Lewis Morris Challenge
Men's Cat 2, 19+

After last weeks race, I brought the bike straight to Hilltop and dropped off for repair. Picked up Thursday evening, good as new.

With a local race, a noon start, and zero responsibilities at the venue, I slept in a little, and rolled into the lot around 10:30am. Holy humidity batman. Chatted with the crew, got number plate, put it on with zero fucks given, and milled about for a bit.

I staged in the 3rd or 4th row, and we were really far up the fire road. Do we always start that far up, or is NICA throwing me off? I dunno. There was a loud noise, and we're off. God that first climb hurts, until you get to the tight right-hander for the steeper rooty climb up Orange, and it hurts more. With the rain overnight, the roots were slippery as shit, and a lot of the corners were washed out from all the earlier traffic. Some guys were having trouble on the first rooty section, but I was able to stay on and get past a few that dismounted. There was a handful of us that were kinda together the first half of the lap, and then we weren't. My HR was so high, details are vague. I PR'd a lot of stuff on the first lap, and turned a low 36 something, which was only about 15 seconds slower than last years single lap race in Cat 3 when I finished 2nd in the 40-49 group. Two laps this year, so yeah, more roots.

Going into Lap 2, I was hurting a bit, but not as much as the middle of lap 1. The only "oh shit" moment was going down that sketch section before the first bridge. Hit a root at the wrong angle and launched towards the edge of the ledge/a tree. Dead stop/track stand (almost), to avoid falling down the hill. Phew.... Carry on. Kept the HR near pinned as much a possible, and banged out lap 2 about 3 minutes slower than lap 1, to finish 24th of 40. Average HR was 180. My Garmin said I had a new HR PR at 196, but Strava and Connect have my max at 192. Whatevs. I felt like I was riding right at the edge of control for most of the race, and I had nothing in the tank at the finish, so other than the one spot where I almost died, I think I left it all out on the course. That's all I can do on race day. I will say, between all the roots and shit at Lewis Morris, and then Chimney Rock group ride last night, I think I've finally figured out how low I can run the Racing Ralph's on my Crest MK3 rims. Low enough to feel a decent amount of rim on root/rock action, but just high enough to not break the bead/burp or worse... It's a testament to what these companies put into their products that they can survive this kind of abuse.

Next race is Bulldog Rump at Kittatiny.

Nice writeup Dan, did you ride the HT for either race? LewMo is a bit odd with the roots, easily rideable with a HT, but at race speed seems like a lot of pogoing around

Let everyone see how you haven’t progressed in putting your cot dayum number plate on...
Janky AF
IMG_1060.JPG

LOL< I still have no clue about the correct way to put on a number plate.
It’s simple, Centered on the handlebar. Tie it to the handlebar. Keep it as flat as possible, not curling at all. Sometimes brakes don’t allow this, but straighter is better. It’s that simple.

Here is a good example:
06199DB8-CAFB-4179-AD42-C0D019529176.jpeg

The fact that someone with matchy matchy shoes and helmet can’t grasp this simple rule blows my mind ;)

Last edited:
It’s simple, Centered on the handlebar. Tie it to the handlebar. Keep it as flat as possible, not curling at all. Sometimes brakes don’t allow this, but straighter is better. It’s that simple.
And put it behind the cables.

H2H #5
Bulldog Rump @KVSP
Men's Cat 2, 19+

10:30am start for the Cat 2's!!!
So I pre-rode the course for the first time ever last week, when it was dry. Fun course. Pointy rocks, flowy ST, only a little DT/gravel. I felt confident I could ride everything, except the one rock/root wall. So when I woke up Sunday morning to the sound of rain on the roof and thunder, I was a little, um, less confident. Everything was packed in the car the night before, so at 8:15 I loaded the bike onto the rack and hit the road in the rain. Driving up 287 was some sketchy weather, but by the time I got to the parking lot, the rain stopped. Parked next to @seanrunnette and immediately saw @MissJR @Santapez and @1sh0t1b33r nearby. @muddybike was there early with Kai in the 9am Jr Cat 3 race, and I saw a flash of Orange across the grass field as the 3's started, which was new MTBNJ team member @StayHydrated .

Usual BS'ing while getting number plate/putting on shoes n stuffs.
IMG_1306.JPG

Went over to the road crossing before the finish line to watch Tim finish up and heckle cheer on the other racers. Then I rolled around aimlessly for a bit to get my HR up a little before standing still at the start line for 10 minutes.

Staging was by numbers, and I was in the second or third row. Short whistle and we're off. It's a drag race to the lefthander into the rocky ST and I'm sitting maybe 8th or so? Tough to tell, but as you'd expect, one person dabs and errrryone grabs a fist full o brakes. I almost made it around two guys, but those rocks were coated with some seriously slick snot. So off the bike, back on the bike, pedal pedal pedal, and another clusterfuck. There was a fair amount of passing and being passed the first quarter lap. I had such difficulty holding a line thru the rocks. I'd fade a little, then hammer back some on the hero dirt ST sections. HR was pinned in the upper 180's for a little too long too early. At some point I caught up to @scotth on his SS and I just yo yo'd behind him for awhile.
I managed to grab water every time the trail smoothed out long enough to grab the bottle, so hydration was ok despite the humidity. At some point on the first lap I flew past @Santapez (in the SS race) as he was remounting after a little hike a bike (I think) and I swore I saw @seanrunnette (in the 45+ race) behind me somewhere when the trails doubled back, but then his rear derailleur got confused and thought it was at Wildcat and exploded. It was really frustrating getting halfway up a climb I know I should clear, only to hit a slick rock or root and loosing all traction. Seeing guys off the bike going up the long climb before the switchback descent gave me a boost, until I too was off about halfway up.
IMG_1321.JPG

Thanks for the pic Tim

Going into the second lap I had a Gu, which I've been taping to the top tune so I can rip it off/open in one motion and stuff the empty in my jersey instead of reaching for it in the pocket. Second lap was similar for the first half, and I felt good, but could tell the fatigue was beginning to affect negotiating the rocks a little. @xc62701 came by me on lap two, and shortly later so did @1sh0t1b33r as I got hung up and had to dismount. I chased Magic the rest of the lap, never really loosing sight of him, until the switchbacks. About the second or third turn the front wheel slid off a rock or something and into a ditch next to a log and I went OTB. Hard enough to snap the plastic part of the Garmin mount (not the Garmin tabs, thankfully) and bang up my knee/shin a little. Garmin tether to the bars FTW!!!!! Unlooped the Garmin and stuffed it in my pocket. I think 2-3 guys passed me here, all asking if I was ok, thanks if any of you read this. As I remounted I could see another dude with a number plate that looked like a 19+ race coming up, and I was determined not to lose another place. I knew he couldn't pass me down the switch backs, so I played it safe. Onto the gravel I picked it up, keeping him behind me, and we crossed the pavement nearly side by side. I stood (way too early!!!) gave a few clicks and started a LOOOOOOOONNNGGGGG sprint. I think he tried to stay with me, but by the time I got to the line he wasn't there.

15th place
Lap times 40:12 and 41:18, MUCH better than all the other races.

Thank you to Cycle Craft and Team Bulldog.

Thanks Magic for the "recovery" drink.
IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

You mean I came by as you were platting patty cakes with Scott and heckling me for not riding over you ;)

Back
Top Bottom