CHRISTINI AWD FAT 5 Bike

Kaleidopete

Christini Technologies designs and builds the world's only All Wheel Drive Mountain Bikes. Christini’s patented mechanical All Wheel Drive system delivers power from the rear of the bicycle to the front wheel through a series of gears, shafts, and chain all mounted within or on the frame. Interesting technology, but will it sell?
AWD-Fat-5-Left-Side-595x417.jpg

http://christinibicycles.com/sample-page/christini-awd-5-fat/

I like it. Being one would guarantee we'd never see snow again. :p

Regardless, I know Christini has been doing these off and on for years and this looks like the best version yet. When I saw them a week or two ago, I thought really hard about ordering one but for better or worse, I'm already up to my eyeballs in bikes. I have 6 in my living room right now and only really have room for 4. :oops:

I know the heat treater they hired to do the frames... was showing me some neat pictures at our last meeting.

Not my cup of tea, but like that they incorporated a way to disengage the awd. Without that, you're basically stuck to straight lines unless you enjoy having your front tire wash out around a turn

I like it. Being one would guarantee we'd never see snow again. :p

Regardless, I know Christini has been doing these off and on for years and this looks like the best version yet. When I saw them a week or two ago, I thought really hard about ordering one but for better or worse, I'm already up to my eyeballs in bikes. I have 6 in my living room right now and only really have room for 4. :oops:

ceiling hooks!

I know the heat treater they hired to do the frames... was showing me some neat pictures at our last meeting.

Not my cup of tea, but like that they incorporated a way to disengage the awd. Without that, you're basically stuck to straight lines unless you enjoy having your front tire wash out around a turn

i was wondering if they had a way to let the front tire disengage/slip - if they kept the front slightly wheel smaller than the rear (or change the gearing a bit), they could put a freewheel up front and let it spin ahead of the drive system until needed. (i think i got that in the right direction?)

...or if there's a differential that allows the two wheels to turn at different speeds. Even better would be a clutch-pack limited slip that would put more power to the other wheel if one starts slipping.

Ceiling hooks... not a fan or suspension forks and hydraulic brakes being stored upside down for long periods.

Christini Technologies designs and builds the world's only All Wheel Drive Mountain Bikes. Christini’s patented mechanical All Wheel Drive system delivers power from the rear of the bicycle to the front wheel through a series of gears, shafts, and chain all mounted within or on the frame. Interesting technology, but will it sell?
View attachment 43216

http://christinibicycles.com/sample-page/christini-awd-5-fat/
Isn't traction a big selling point for fat bikes? So why would you need front wheel drive aside from the turning aspect? The shaft to rotor metal on metal worries me about shearing it off long term. And at 33 pounds seems heavy.

I don't really understand why the 2 wheel drive concept keeps coming up. I've seen these things pop up in magazines for 20ish years, it seems like a great concept but not practical in the real world.

Isn't traction a big selling point for fat bikes? So why would you need front wheel drive aside from the turning aspect? The shaft to rotor metal on metal worries me about shearing it off long term. And at 33 pounds seems heavy.
Looks like this FAT project is for an adventure across Antarctica and 2WD will be good for that.

Back
Top Bottom