china made fat bike frame

qclabrat

Anyone tried one of these yet?

surprised not to see any on ebay but plenty on alibaba

still on the fence on either Ti or carbon (leaning towards carbon for weight and price)

I know many of you have good regards for the chinese non-fats, so chinese fats shouldn't be too bad either

Lot's of people have tried these and had good results. There's a huge thread at mtbr. I looked hard at these before finally going with the Fatboy frame because the ones that had the geometry I liked, they couldn't clear the Lou on the back, even when they had 190mm rear spacing, or because they used a 120mm spindle BB, which wasn't compatible with the crankset I already had.

I took a good look at them too and didnt get one for similar reasons. Wanting to run 4.8s you really need clearance.... dont want to rub through a carbon stay over time. I ended up building a Ti Carver frame and really happy with the decision.

According Lamere http://www.lamerecycles.com/#!fatbike/c1ff7, they can run Lou 4.8" on their 170mm frame.
I was tempted to buy online, BUT I wanted to get it tomorrow, not by the end of winter and J delivered!

Lamere doesn't below in the "Chinese frames" category. Yes, it's made in China--like 99% of all the other carbon bike frames--but it's a us company and their price reflects that. The Chineses frames (sold by Chinese companies, out of china) are much cheaper but you have to do your homework really carefully. There are many problems reported with--in general--small issues with the frames (measurements not quite to spec, finishing details, etc.). Having said that, in general these companies fix the problem a there are a lot of nice and cheap builds using those frames.

The ones I was looking at were: XMIPLAY 019 and DENGFU FM-190

Also, check this light build using a chinese frame: The Norwegian Fat.

there's now so many carbon Chinese frames out there
now on to budget wheels, what's a reasonable weight for wheels with tires?
can anyone suggest a combo which won't break the bank, guess we'll need go Chinese again...

The Nextie's seem to be the cheapie to go with, I would ask @jimvreeland, he also stocks them at times and has built quite a few sets. That will probably be my next large purchase.........Laced to I9 hubs of course.

Light bicycle rims can be a tad cheaper and mine have already taken a few hits with my mamouth size and tires on the 90mm. I know jim had issue getting a set tensioned but I had none. I may have received a newer addition though.

Truth. I have Nexties and many hubs in stock. I have built several dozen carbon fat wheelset and would be more than happy to advise.

Nextie with I9 are nice, but
can anyone suggest a combo which won't break the bank, guess we'll need go Chinese again...

Nextie with I9 are nice but not exactly budget. Jim built me a set that have been awesome, recently I traded out the I9 for a Hope when I went from 197 to 177.
I think if you are going to spend money on a part, the rear hub is the best place.
When I sell the I9 hub, I'm going to try an Onyx racing

What are you looking for in terms of budget? Aluminum or carbon rims? Basic or higher end hubs?

I have Nexties on hand that I will build up as an upgrade to the Fatback. I calculate 990g front and 1100g rear using Hope hubs and double butted spokes. That is before tape, valves and tires. Also figure about 6 oz each tire for tubeless goop. Jim V. can build you a set if your looking for carbon rims.

For reference, my Hope / Marge Lites are about 1140g and 1230g before rim strips, tubes and tires.

BTW, I happen to see a great deal for a Salsa / Clown Shoe wheelset on Mike Curiak's site for a 500 if they fit.

Nextie with I9 are nice, but

Nextie with I9 are nice but not exactly budget. Jim built me a set that have been awesome, recently I traded out the I9 for a Hope when I went from 197 to 177.
I think if you are going to spend money on a part, the rear hub is the best place.
When I sell the I9 hub, I'm going to try an Onyx racing

True, I guess if you are going carbon they could be considered the budget route compared to HED, whiskey, etc...

The Nextie's seem to be the cheapie to go with, I would ask @jimvreeland, he also stocks them at times and has built quite a few sets. That will probably be my next large purchase.........Laced to I9 hubs of course.

I checked out the demo center for Industry 9 wheels at Crankworx and those are some pretty wheels
can the I9 spokes be used with Nexties?

What are you looking for in terms of budget? Aluminum or carbon rims? Basic or higher end hubs?

I have Nexties on hand that I will build up as an upgrade to the Fatback. I calculate 990g front and 1100g rear using Hope hubs and double butted spokes. That is before tape, valves and tires. Also figure about 6 oz each tire for tubeless goop. Jim V. can build you a set if your looking for carbon rims.

For reference, my Hope / Marge Lites are about 1140g and 1230g before rim strips, tubes and tires.

BTW, I happen to see a great deal for a Salsa / Clown Shoe wheelset on Mike Curiak's site for a 500 if they fit.
I really don't know, weight weeniness comes with a price, some I'm first trying to figure what's considered heavy and from there start getting an idea on pricepoint. Your hope/marge combo seems like a reasonable place to start. what do the salsa/clowns weigh in at. $500 was considerably less than what I would have expected to spend on a not heavy fat wheelset

we haven't talked tyres yet, I assume for weight, tubeless is the way to go?
suggestions for front and rears? looking for snow friendly rubber
do you need to do ghetto for fat tubeless or are there tubeless fat rims already

I checked out the demo center for Industry 9 wheels at Crankworx and those are some pretty wheels
can the I9 spokes be used with Nexties?
Yes, you can use them, but you are looking at about $7 per spoke.

As for tires, tubeless is the way to go, more to regulate tire pressure as well as prevent both pinch flats and punctures.

Tires themselves, you may find that you switch tires with the season. If you just want to put a set on and leave it, I would recommend 45nrth Dillinger 4 tires with the 120 tpi casing.

As for rims, there a few tubeless options, so it isn't all ghetto. Budget dictates the options as does the frame you use.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, the new Darryls coming out are lighter (more material removed) and have for the first time a tubeless friendly bead. Or at least that's what they say on the inter webs....

I really don't know, weight weeniness comes with a price, some I'm first trying to figure what's considered heavy and from there start getting an idea on pricepoint. Your hope/marge combo seems like a reasonable place to start. what do the salsa/clowns weigh in at. $500 was considerably less than what I would have expected to spend on a not heavy fat wheelset

Need to take a step back. What's the intended purpose of this bike? You mentioned snow riding. Let's assume it will be a year round bike but mainly for snow. A frame with a 190/197 rear that can take a 5" tire will have the most flexibility. If it's mainly for trail riding with occasional snow / soft conditions, you can get away with a 170/177 rear, but will likely be limited with what you can put on for rim / tire size combo. Once you pick your frame, you can consider what rims and tires will work on the frame.

Rim widths tend to run from 65mm to 100mm. Wider rims will give you a bigger footprint, more float and traction. If you are not concerned with weight and want max footprint for snow/sand, go with a wider rim. Popular rims like Marge Lites and current Darryls are not tubeless, but can be run ghetto. Many of the carbon rims are tubeless or can be run tubeless, but you need to check. There are other aluminum rims like the Bontrager Jackalopes that are tubeless ready. Carbon gets you lighter weight and more tubeless options, but at a price. If you are looking at a wide rim / big tire set up, be sure that the frame you choose can handle those size combinations.

If you are mainly looking to ride snow, you can look at some of the bigger tires, again for max float and traction. Johnny Utah has some solid advice on tubeless and tires. You might also consider the Dillinger 5. Both the 4 and 5 are stud-able for even more traction in tougher conditions.

Back
Top Bottom