China Cell Phone Use

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
My uncle is going to China and since I used to go there fairly often is asking my advice. I haven't been over in more than 8 years, so my current knowledge is limited. Does anyone know what the best advice is for cell use (or any other useful tips) might be? Should he get a "burner" type phone and use that or is just using his normal phone OK? Calling @qclabrat ?

easyasballinacup

Buy a phone upon arrival. Good chance it will get confiscated. I lost 1 this way. Have a friend who lost 2 but got one through. Best of luck and hope he has a great trip.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Buy a phone upon arrival. Good chance it will get confiscated. I lost 1 this way. Have a friend who lost 2 but got one through. Best of luck and hope he has a great trip.
Really? I had no issues like this when I went over, but like I said that was about 8 years ago.

The Kalmyk

So the owner of the company i work for is in China proooobably a total of 6 months out of the year. He said confiscation is not an issue. He was actually bewildered when I asked that.

He said call your provider and make them aware how long you will be there. They will adjust it so you don’t end up with a gigantic bill. What that means, I don’t know.

Hope that helps Tim

qclabrat

My uncle is going to China and since I used to go there fairly often is asking my advice. I haven't been over in more than 8 years, so my current knowledge is limited. Does anyone know what the best advice is for cell use (or any other useful tips) might be? Should he get a "burner" type phone and use that or is just using his normal phone OK? Calling @qclabrat ?

who's his current carrier, how long is his stay and what does he need? calls/texting/data/mobile transactions? the last is important because everything can now be done by phone. Cards and cash are so yesterday there. We have a local bank acct and SIM since we go often, but probably excessive

qclabrat

So the owner of the company i work for is in China proooobably a total of 6 months out of the year. He said confiscation is not an issue. He was actually bewildered when I asked that.

He said call your provider and make them aware how long you will be there. They will adjust it so you don’t end up with a gigantic bill. What that means, I don’t know.
if you tell your carrier upfront you plan to use the phone internationally, it will defray the roaming charges. Need it longer than a month and they will want to charge you. I'm guess that's what he means.

The Kalmyk

if you tell your carrier upfront you plan to use the phone internationally, it will defray the roaming charges. Need it longer than a month and they will want to charge you. I'm guess that's what he means.

I guess. Hugh likes talking and working in the grey matter.

I can formulate a series of question I know will get the answer I need. Yet, for some reason, I still struggle sometimes to get the answers I’m looking for out of him. One day the formula will come to me.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
He had heard reports of financial info being stolen off the phone? No ideas on that.

qclabrat

Just a 3 week Vacation.
carrier? I use T-mobile and have G3 data and unlimited texts.
That is if he doesn't need to do voice calls domestically, I think most major carriers support the similar, but he should check for roaming and other charges.
It all comes down to whether he's really on vacation. Otherwise slow data and wifi hotspots will get him by. Most coffee shops like here have free wifi. I've been running web updates from China that way for over 10 yrs and it's now no different from being at home.

qclabrat

He had heard reports of financial info being stolen off the phone? No ideas on that.

what is he the CFO of this company? even if, just like here, stay off sketchy websites
not your uncle, but I know tons of guys who go to trips to get their lay of a life time and end up getting fleeced
word to the wise find a local and do it the old fashion way and pay with cash not your phone...

qclabrat

Was not trying to re sale. Luck of the draw i guess.
Not sure what was the deal, but it's personal property and shouldn't have happened unless you were caught taking pictures in security or somewhere sensitive. But that's the same every where now.

One thing you need to be careful of is that your power banks need to clearly state the capacity on the battery. If it doesn't it will get confiscated. Find out what is the current limit as even small obvious ones will be taken if not labeled properly. Happened to me twice and they will check.

serviceguy

One thing you need to be careful of is that your power banks need to clearly state the capacity on the battery. If it doesn't it will get confiscated. Find out what is the current limit as even small obvious ones will be taken if not labeled properly. Happened to me twice and they will check.

You mean the external battery pack ?

Top Bottom