Chimney Rock Conditions

qclabrat

Last time I ran was over a year ago, it's time to start and get the cardio going
I have no urge to drive to RV and ride in the rain
1519310535238.png

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
anybody ride CR lately? Hoping to head there after work tomorrow to take advance of the extra daylight.
It's gonna take some time. There is still snow cover and it's above freezing, which means slushy, muddy trails.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
anybody ride CR lately? Hoping to head there after work tomorrow to take advance of the extra daylight.

I am about 5 miles away and there is maybe a foot of snow still on the ground. I wouldn't waste my time and I'm a few minutes away. Unless you hear a first hand account, I would skip it.

Off The Road Again

I checked out trails on foot Sunday, only hiked Middle Red to Lower Red. Lotta snow still out there, pretty soft so no traction for any uphill climbs. Flats or downhill would've been fun and challenging. Also a lot of open exposed areas with muck and standing water. Ground was still fairly firm under the water or 1/2" of muck, but it's still not worth riding and rutting the trails. Saw two guys about to set out on fat bikes when I got back to my car, told them my assessment of the trails that it's not good, he pointed and looked at his fat bike, and nodded as if 'no problem, fat bikes are made for mud'. Just don't get it.
On a side note - kudos to Clapp for doing some pruning on White. Saw him and his daughter trekking off to White with pruners and other tools as I pulled into the lot. When I got back to my car saw another guy heading off to White with a small chainsaw. Thanks guys! Post up next TM or impromptu trail fix due to recent storms and I'll do my best to join and help out.

Goldjohn

Just getting back into biking after many years of laziness. Took my first ride at Lewis Morris and found many trees down. I understand the authorities there don’t look kindly at freelance trail clearing, which is a shame. I was looking at taking my second ride at Chimney Rock when conditions improve. Do they tolerate trail clearing by the general public there?

rick81721

Lothar
Just getting back into biking after many years of laziness. Took my first ride at Lewis Morris and found many trees down. I understand the authorities there don’t look kindly at freelance trail clearing, which is a shame. I was looking at taking my second ride at Chimney Rock when conditions improve. Do they tolerate trail clearing by the general public there?

Sure as long as you don't use any power tools e.g. chainsaw

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

The locals will clear most of it up by the time the trails are good to ride.

qclabrat

Drove by this afternoon and saw plenty of standing water, conditions should be terrible. Go for a run instead, might have even seen @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST jogging today?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Did some TM on the new trail off the gilbride lot. Was able to clear everything that i walked.
The jeep track for service vehicles has a tree that was too big for my little saw (twss.) Can see it from the lot.

The trail is a muddy soup - going to be a long time before it is rideable.

I was amazed at the number of trees down that missed the trail! This one is right along the side,
and is quite the puzzle. it doesn't have to come down, but probably should - too unpredictable to do alone.
it isn't connected to anything just above the top of the picture.

IMG_0247.JPG

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions