Chimney Rock Conditions

I hiked it yesterday afternoon and it was pretty bad, doubt its rideable today. But with all this wind maybe it dried it out.

Just hiked red and blue, not perfect but both upper trails were actually pretty firm aside from the usual spots. Yellow is more than likely good to go

I stopped in and hiked a bit into orange and decided it wasn't going to happen. The freeze thaw isn't going to help. :(

White trail: 3.5 some mud east end of long bridge, slick by the small and medium bridge. and slick in twisties,

Blue trail: 3.5 didn't ride lower. Hardly any mud. S/b even better tomorrow.

Red trail: 3.88 what I rode. Turned around on red below the berms-didn't ride the hog wallow and adjacent trails on the west side below the new berms. Everything else was 99% perfect.

Orange trail: defer to @I Ride Bikes. Prolly too muddy. That north facing slope is cold.

Yellow trail: didn't hit it, but given what I rode, it must be 4/4.

Overall, just avoid the mud. HAGW

It was cold, fast and frozen at 8am. By 10 it was getting greasy in the sunny spots. A good day all around. I think when it warms tomorrow we'll all be riding hartshorn and allaire again.
Ya missed a good one Al!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6734.JPG
    IMG_6734.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 97
Rated it a "1." I thought there'd be snow to ride on, but, with the mild temps, most of it had melted, leaving pools of water in the middle of a lot of the trails. The dirt/mud wasn't especially soft and it wasn't rutting, but if I didn't have fenders, I would have been showered with water in short order. It's hard to say what the freezing temps tonight will bring, but I'm not optimistic. If it only freezes the top layer of the standing water, you might find yourself breaking through into an inch or two of standing icewater below; if it freezes over entirely, I think studs would be highly recommended. I just can't see how that much standing water can evaporate or be absorbed by the freeze tonight.

Rated it a "1." I thought there'd be snow to ride on, but, with the mild temps, most of it had melted, leaving pools of water in the middle of a lot of the trails. The dirt/mud wasn't especially soft and it wasn't rutting, but if I didn't have fenders, I would have been showered with water in short order. It's hard to say what the freezing temps tonight will bring, but I'm not optimistic. If it only freezes the top layer of the standing water, you might find yourself breaking through into an inch or two of standing icewater below; if it freezes over entirely, I think studs would be highly recommended. I just can't see how that much standing water can evaporate or be absorbed by the freeze tonight.

Thanks for the update, I considered checking it out tomorrow AM but I wont waste my time.

Did anyone check it out today?
My intuition was wrong. I had my studded tires on and expected to see lot's of ice as it was about 26 degrees in the early afternoon after a sub-freezing overnight. The reality was that it either never really froze, or the sun got to it. Bottom line was that it was very soft and muddy. I turned around and went to the D&L Canal just to get some miles in.

I don't know if tonight's freeze will do better at firming-up the trails, but it's supposed to be colder tonight than last night.

If it's in the 20s and no sun, you should be good. The March sun is warmer (Google that shit yo) so yesterday got sloppy really fast. But if the sun stays away I think it'll stay frozen.

Still, earlier the better.

Rode 1.2 miles on White and the part of Frolf that goes down from Gilbride to the skinny between 2pm and 3pm. Spent a lot of time walking.

IT'S A MESS

Hope the blizzard improves it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions