Chimney Rock Conditions

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah it dumped overnight.

It is sunny & breezy right now so hopefully it dries up but I am guessing at this point in time, it'll need a few days.

qclabrat

Lots of standing water in the 100 yards or so that I did. Newman’s lane lot was closed for construction vehicles.
Find somewhere else to ride.
They are working on some drainage issues. Probably has to do with flooding when the creek swells. Yeah, looks wet out there

qclabrat

Newmans lot is still closed as of this AM for the drainage work, plenty of parking at the ballfields. But I'll likely start at the small gravel lot on Gilbride

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
newmans lane was open yesterday while they were working. a few spots were full of construction trucks but otherrwise no problem

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
based on the change from yesterday to today, id say tomorrow should be good to go on everything except blue, i cannot comment on blue as i didnt ride it either day.

Kangdoy

Did upper orange, blue, white and red. A few soft spots on top of orange, red and and top of blue but mostly avoidable. One puddle on blue that I had to get off the bike. Lower blue is not perfect, but can avoid the mud.

Jase

What's the best way to get to the orange from the white and/or red? I would like not to climb up that orange by the guard rail.

Kangdoy

What's the best way to get to the orange from the white and/or red? I would like not to climb up that orange by the guard rail.

But the guard rail climb is great! :-D The only way I know is from white, you go over the new bridge and can either take a right or left. Going left will be a little quicker, but both ways will lead you to Chimney Rock Road. If you go left from the new bridge, once you reach CR Road, take a right, ride a little ways and Gilbride Road will be on the left. Or you can ride the brown/unmarked trails by the ball fields to get a little extra mileage. If you went right from the new bridge, you'll get a nice scenic ride along the lake and then would have to deal with a small climb. You'll end with Gilbride Road directly across from you. Cross the street and ride down Gilbride Road and orange will start on your right just before the concrete bridge.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

As @Kangdoy said - park in ball field, warm up on the loop behind there, and maybe the new loop on the other side of the stream, then cross gilbride, and climb the rock plate.
Start at the 5 mile point of this ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1547994614/

johnnyrides

As @Kangdoy said - park in ball field, warm up on the loop behind there, and maybe the new loop on the other side of the stream, then cross gilbride, and climb the rock plate.
Start at the 5 mile point of this ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1547994614/
Never been to CR and don't know much about it and yet its closest to where I live compared to 6mr, LewMo, and Hartshorne (the 3 I most frequent). Do you suggest this Strava ride for a first timer to get a good taste of everything at CR?

qclabrat

Never been to CR and don't know much about it and yet its closest to where I live compared to 6mr, LewMo, and Hartshorne (the 3 I most frequent). Do you suggest this Strava ride for a first timer to get a good taste of everything at CR?
Yeah that Strava is pretty good, you only miss out on Yellow and hardest parts of Red. If you want a tour, my usual ride times are Friday afternoons or early weekends. I ride real slow and the techy parts kicks my butt. We'll also be doing a group ride in the next few weekends with a beginnerish group.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions