Challenge Hill at Mercer County Park

carvegybe

Hi everyone

There is a short hill at the western end of MCP next to the dam wall. There is a left and a right fork to climb it - the left one being slightly steeper. The climb angle seem to be just to much for me to keep the front wheel down and so the hill seems to be a great opportunity to practice technique. I sat on the front of the seat and had my chest on top of the handlebars and failed to climb it in one go after 3 attempts. The only thing left for me to try is to attempt it in a higher gear so i dont lift the wheel using the torque.

Does anyone know the climb angle of this thing? Has anyone managed to climb it? I am convinced it is climbable with better technique....

Thanks

Rusty

took me a few years. come in hot, drop to granny and grind, when it feels hopeless be on the grass or whats left of it for traction and then what JimN says above, stand and hammer. now I do it every time I am there. for me the stand and hammer part starts about halfway up.

carvegybe

Thank you. I am reluctant to stand and hammer because I want to develop my climbing technique for hills. But if I have to...

The Kalmyk

Thank you. I am reluctant to stand and hammer because I want to develop my climbing technique for hills. But if I have to...

It can be done sitting but I would say the last 10% is stand and hammer because it just makes sense.

Cadence through out the climb.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Get you weight more towards the rear so you don’t loose traction. If your chest is on the bars, you are unweighting the rear too much. Practice on the smaller one about 100’ from there.

Strugglebus

That hill for me is 90% in the saddle and 10 out. I don’t think I’ve done it 100% seated ever.

Mercer really isn’t ideal for this type of training though. I usually go to Sourland MP for this. I don’t think I’ve ever made it up the pipeline trail? 100%. For me this place is the best local option

Top Bottom