Century in the rain

hit it hard and you won't know if it is sweat or rain. and it won't matter either.

if I knew you better (or at all) I'd tell you to HTFU. But I don't, so TIFWIW.

works every time for me unless it's below 45°F

HTFU is fine, I was going to say that myself!

Doing the 31 hours of July last year meant learning to deal with riding in the rain, although it was only for an hour or so. I agree that once you're wet, you're wet and it's not that bad - not really any different than being soaked with sweat. It's the getting wet part that takes getting used to. The only thing I really hate about riding in rain is wearing glasses.

The morning temps will be hard to predict so bring options with you to make a game-time decision. Personally, I'd bring short and long sleeve jerseys along with a packable rain jacket that you can stuff in a jersey pocket (or hand off to a sag wagon if there is one). Similar for tights and leg warmers - bring both and decide at the start.

For me personally, it's all about keeping my feet warm. If my feet are warm (not necessarily dry), then I'm warm. So I'd wear wool or smart-wool socks. I'm not sure it would be cool enough for any sort of covers.

Fenders might not be a bad idea if you're bike can take them (my road bike can't).

Don't think I can do fenders, but I will take a look. I've ridden in the ring before but it was in July last year just like you. I guess my real concern is the unknown temperature in the morning. But it seems like the rain is getting pushed later in the day as we get closer, so hopefully this is all for nothing.

good stuff here, i wanted to +1 for race blade fenders and light wool socks. agreed about keeping the pace constant.

in for results

Reactions: rlb
If you do get the race blade fenders, use helicopter tape or electric tape where the rubber straps go around the frame/fork. The grit you obtain from spray gets under the rubber straps and acts like sand paper. That being said, this is the least road grittiness time of the year.

+1 on glasses in the rain sucking butt @clarkenstein. Cycling caps FTW.

Good on the cap, going to borrow Rick's fenders, and I'll throw my entire bike wardrobe in the car the night before. I looked into the velotoes but I don't think I'd like something squeezing my calf for that long. Maybe I'll regret it, but I'm going to bank on wool socks for my feet.

Thanks for the tip on the fenders, sanding my frame would not be fun.

Luck was on our side today but as it turns out a little rain would have been nice with the humidity. Regardless the threat was always there so I kept my speed up and finished faster than I have in my 5 previous years doing this ride. This was largely due to a huge group pushing the pace up front. I stayed with the pack for 3/4 of the ride, but eventually I couldn't keep the pace so it was back to my typical 15-16 mph to finish it off.

@rick81721 was nice enough to lend me some fenders but he's badass and must ride 23s. I couldn't get them to work on my 25s so I decided to deal with the road spray if it happened. Thanks anyway man!

goes by house, doesn't beep (4:34 mark of your ride) :D

nice job today.

Good job. Well done and way to stay dry. Hope you doused yourself with a few of Pat's beers last night.

Reactions: rlb
Thanks. It was pedestrian beer store beer for me last night, nothing too fancy. Maybe next time.

nice job - your pace was solid! good size group this year? i'll have to ask the guys at work how it went for them (we have a big group from work do this every year). i know one guy who would definitely be in the lead group.

nice job - your pace was solid! good size group this year? i'll have to ask the guys at work how it went for them (we have a big group from work do this every year). i know one guy who would definitely be in the lead group.

Yeah I think there were over 150 (but I don't remember where I'm pulling that number from, possibly my ass?). Is your buddy an Israeli guy from Bergen County? If so, he was probably at the front!

Yeah I think there were over 150 (but I don't remember where I'm pulling that number from, possibly my ass?). Is your buddy an Israeli guy from Bergen County? If so, he was probably at the front!

not him - my guy is a Celgene guy, not sure where he lives. I gotta do this again next year.

Back
Top Bottom