Century in the rain

rlb

I'm riding Century for the Cure this Sunday, and as of right now the forecast doesn't look good. I'm hoping it will change by then, but I suppose I should start preparing myself now in case it does rain as forecast.

It'll be about 70 when the ride starts and 78 when it ends. Not a huge swing, but enough to be uncomfortable in the higher temps if the sun comes out and I'm a little bundled up. The only "warm" gear I own is gore winter gear which will be too much for this weather. Any suggestions/tips on gear or how to dress would be appreciated. I know there are a few threads out there already but I'd like to see "what's new". Paging @stb222.

Forecast.png

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
my theory that ive developed over the years of adventure racing....being wet is part of life...if you try and keep dry from the rain on the outside, you will get wet from your sweat.

Doing work produces body heat, which will dry you off more quickly than you realize. There will be a small period of time where you will feel a little colder because of the drying effect, but that will pass. IMO its more important to wear quick drying clothing than to try to account for varying weather. Of course theres nothing wrong with stopping to take a jacket off/on Its just a matter of how much you want to carry for the ride.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you keep a steady pace your body will.produce enough heat to keep you warm in those temps, even if you are wet. I would bring a light cycling vest if needed at the start. If you get hot you can unzip vest or stow it in a back pocket.

rlb

how about electronics? you gonna bag everything?

Definitely. I always bag my phone on longer rides just for sweat protection. I have a Garmin 800 also, I think I'm just gonna let it do its thing and hope the little rubber caps do their job.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I don't have the resume of @stb222 but I do venture out in the wet. With temps over 65, IMHO less is more.

A thin Marino wool (or other breathable fabric) cycling cap to keep the rain out of your eyes and retain some (but not too much) heat, a wind vest or super duper light weight wind jacket and toe covers.

Keep the normal summer bibs and jersey. Anything heavier is just going to hold more water an ultimately make you miserable.

I pack a pair of 1/2 finger gloves in a plastic bag in case it clears up, but during the rain, I prefer not to wear gloves at all.

Bonus useless tip: pack a packet of chamois cream, cuz 100 miles in the wet is gonna give you baboone ass.

rlb

Thanks, good advice so far. This is the only ride where I still use chamois cream and I pack extra, rain or shine. A few of those single serving packs at mile 60 are amazing!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Usual summer gear, and maybe a very light vest to start. A cap would be helpful too, but I don't own one..... I did America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride a few years back with Team in Training. 100 miles around Lake Tahoe. it was 35 degrees and raining at the start. By the finish, it was sunny and 70. Some folks even got caught in sleet/hail.

JDurk

During Day 4 and 5 of the TSEpic, 1-1/2 to 2 hour downpours each day. The single servings of Chamois Butt'r saved my already saddle sored ass. The rain turned my chamois into a wet diaper. Don't think I would want to try the Monkey Butt powder during a ride, maybe after. Used a Garmin 510 without any cover and things still work.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
always figure the temp minus 10 degrees for how you would dress. Above 65, it doesnt really matter too much but I highly recommend a cycling cap for the rain. You could do a vest but you will get warm quickly. The first time I did that ride it was in the pouring rain from some tropical storm. Ina ride that length and with ample rest stops, do the spit and sip method of drinking from your bottle. Spit the first little out that has all the crap from the road on it and drink the second sip.

Have a good ride!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
The biggest problem I ever have in the rain is the water coming off my tires soaking my feet. Waterlogged feet and standing water in your shoes just suck. I got a pair of Velotoze this year and they're fantastic. A major PIA to get on and off (even following the directions!) but well worth it in the rain. You might still be able to get them in time if you rush order.

rlb

Thanks for all of the suggestions. In the past its been chilly (50s) at the start of the ride so I think that's what was making me over think this so much. but it seems like I should stop that and just go for it.

w_b

hit it hard and you won't know if it is sweat or rain. and it won't matter either.

if I knew you better (or at all) I'd tell you to HTFU. But I don't, so TIFWIW.

works every time for me unless it's below 45°F

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The biggest problem I ever have in the rain is the water coming off my tires soaking my feet. Waterlogged feet and standing water in your shoes just suck. I got a pair of Velotoze this year and they're fantastic. A major PIA to get on and off (even following the directions!) but well worth it in the rain. You might still be able to get them in time if you rush order.
I ordered these but have yet to try them out.

jackx

If you have an Ass Saver from the Hell of Hunterdon, that would be nice to help minimize spray from rear wheel.
Glasses to keep rain out of eyes - depending on how heavy the rain is. Clear glasses or light tint if skies are dark.

Good luck!

Reactions: rlb
Top Bottom