How to jack up an older car and educate me on car repairs

Ok, I have a really stupid idea…. (and that’s saying something).

Well, what if you were to get a piece of 1/4” steel plate, say 6 x 12“ … drill a couple of holes in it so that if you remove the passenger headrest you could pass it through the holes and reinstall. With me so far? You could mount a forkmount bracket to the back half of the plate and Bob’s yer uncle. Yes, it’s a fair weather only option but… it’s something. Sorta . 🤷
Points awarded for proper use of Robert’s your mother’s brother hahaha.

Is it too late in the season to discuss Winter Shoes? :p
Yes.

Thinking about the OP's situation... how big is the trunk? With the wheels off, does the bike fit? I've found removing pedals can help a lot with getting bikes to fit easier/better into tight spaces.

One of my friends has a E39 540is as his daily driver. I think he has a roof rack for it but doesn't keep it on the car unless it's absolutely necessary. He usually just drops the rear seat backs and puts his bike inside through the trunk with the wheels off. That was how he arrived at Allaire last month.

Yes.

Thinking about the OP's situation... how big is the trunk? With the wheels off, does the bike fit? I've found removing pedals can help a lot with getting bikes to fit easier/better into tight spaces.

One of my friends has a E39 540is as his daily driver. I think he has a roof rack for it but doesn't keep it on the car unless it's absolutely necessary. He usually just drops the rear seat backs and puts his bike inside through the trunk with the wheels off. That was how he arrived at Allaire last month.
Unfortunately kinda tight back there, thinking the back seat with a doggie blanket may be the most "practical" solution.
PXL_20240326_160655829.jpg

Wow! That looks like a badass bass tube setup you got there! To all worried about electrical problems, all those wires are for the amp and crossovers, not part of the cars wiring harness.
You'd hope. But since the OP didn't do the restoration himself, only time will tell.

Looking at that picture makes me wonder how many electrical issues that car has.
At least the wires are easy to access.
Work in progress, I worked at a shop installing alarms and stereo in HS. I'm going to need a second battery or scale down. The alternator was already upgraded. You guys all want Rome built in a day or a fire...

i mean, electrical issues in a car that old are more inconveniences than actual problems so . . . . . im guessing alot
The wiring from the dash forward are mostly new with the LS swap including gauges, which as Gary said, I didn't do.
When I eventually get to changing over to LEDs, I'll do the rest of the wires and finish the radio bits. Right now I have a leak on the auto top pistons to address before I lay down new carpet and likely new front seats. Today is a rainy day oil change and see where I'm getting a small fluid leak. I'm dying to get a scissor lift, so ramps for now.
PXL_20240328_181926538.jpg

If you are gonna do LED lights I hope you do the Holley Retrobrights and not those lame angel eye style. You might also want to check out the brand Digi-Tails for LED tail lights

If you are gonna do LED lights I hope you do the Holley Retrobrights and not those lame angel eye style. You might also want to check out the brand Digi-Tails for LED tail lights
Yeah I already planned on Digitails. There so many options for headlights, still looking...

Work in progress, I worked at a shop installing alarms and stereo in HS. I'm going to need a second battery or scale down. The alternator was already upgraded. You guys all want Rome built in a day or a fire...
Before you do the carpet, do sound deadener if you’re serious about the tunes. If that tube doesn’t sound great, throw it out and build an enclosure. Shit, I’ll build you one. As a former mobile electronics installer, I’m dying over here looking at that wiring. Stiffening caps will keep your voltage up and may work better than a second battery. It did back in the heyday of my career. Don’t even like wires temporarily, moved the power port and put the mic where it used to be. Love doing the custom work.
IMG_0596.jpeg

The wiring from the dash forward are mostly new with the LS swap including gauges, which as Gary said, I didn't do.
When I eventually get to changing over to LEDs, I'll do the rest of the wires and finish the radio bits. Right now I have a leak on the auto top pistons to address before I lay down new carpet and likely new front seats. Today is a rainy day oil change and see where I'm getting a small fluid leak. I'm dying to get a scissor lift, so ramps for now.View attachment 235183

I can recommend the quickjacks I love mine and even store the car on them over the winter

Back
Top Bottom