Carbon wheels!

This one of the reasons I probably wouldnt put carbon wheels on my play/enduro bike that im not racing....I never worry about carbon rims not being strong enough, I find its more annoying when they are too strong....as stated in the link....

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about the tires that have been mounted to the rear wheel.

While I can't be 100-percent certain that the rim's bead shape is at fault, especially because it appears to be similar to everything else out there, we did manage to put three different slices into a poor Maxxis EXO+ rear tire, all of which seem to have been caused by pinching it between the rim and the ground.

Thing is, this wasn't happening before or after with the same EXO+ casing tire pumped to the same pressure on a different wheelset, which has me believing that the rim might be to blame.

My biggest complaint with my china carbon wheels that were the original light bicycle design and @Norm is still using like 6 or 7 years later....Not the strength, if anything they were too strong. I would get flats as they describe in this article bc the rims have 0 give to them. This also made the ride harsh as all hell...which you live with on an XC bike. When I got my valors and later on podiums, my god what a difference.

@rick81721 I have gotten to try a set of those Enve's on one of @jdog s bike...(im forgetting which now) and they are pretty awesome...Im just a little too cheap for enves.

My problem with carbon is you spend big $$$ for little reward. In addition to the stiffness, there’s the weight. The cheaper wheels aren’t much lighter than good aluminum wheels, and in some cases they’re even heavier. If you actually want lighter, then you have to spend close to $2k. The Enves are pretty, but the internal spokes are annoying. To true them you have to take the tire off? Turn a 10min job into an hour job? I always damage my wheels, every year, because I ride like a dope sometimes. I bash or tweak aluminum and ride out of the woods on a bent or dented rim no biggie. What happens with carbon? And yes, some have a lifetime warranty, which is good, but now I have to wait 2 weeks for a new wheel vs. my LBS lacing my nice hubs to a new $80 rim in time for my next ride.

And yes, some have a lifetime warranty, which is good, but now I have to wait 2 weeks for a new wheel vs. my LBS lacing my nice hubs to a new $80 rim in time for my next ride

This is why I keep the stock wheels. Always need a back up wheel set no matter what kind of wheels you're riding.

Back
Top Bottom