Carbon Bars & Wrist Pain

ekuhn

Always wanted F1 parts on anything Ive owned. This might be a way to get in cheap.

1555690326417.png

serviceguy

i saw a sea otter product review of carbon bars that were going to have some up/down flex, but not forward back.
might be worth a look.

i get numb if i let the bars get into the palms, rather than just wrapping my fingers.
the brake rotation has worked wonders for my handling too.

Yes, that's the OneUp bar I was talking about.

Mathers

Not as severe but I recent went to Ergon Ga2 and get numb fingers if I’m on a long stretch of downhill or chunk.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Not as severe but I recent went to Ergon Ga2 and get numb fingers if I’m on a long stretch of downhill or chunk.

That's the one I'm currently using. They're not working for me. I was using the GS1, which were a lot better. Before I go back to those, I'm going to give the ESI xtra chunky grips a try. I'll change my bar and lever angles too. Hopefully I get some relief.

Reactions: w_b

Mathers

That's the one I'm currently using. They're not working for me. I was using the GS1, which were a lot better. Before I go back to those, I'm going to give the ESI xtra chunky grips a try. I'll change my bar and lever angles too. Hopefully I get some relief.
They get a lot of good recommendations but I’m not loving them.
Hope you get it worked out soon.

zip

you may be tilting your head back too much pinching a nerve in your neck. remove your helmet visor and next time the numbness comes make an effort to keep your head down and raise your eyes to see down the trail.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
you may be tilting your head back too much pinching a nerve in your neck. remove your helmet visor and next time the numbness comes make an effort to keep your head down and raise your eyes to see down the trail.
No, it’s not that and it’s not the suspension setup, seat position or death gripping. I have a genuinely f’ed up wrist. Years of overuse from lifting weights, wrestling, DHing, construction projects... the list goes on and on.

I started wearing a night brace, which helps with the numbness and I’ve been icing it after any kind of hard use. The dr says I’ve got carpel tunnel and a good amount of arthritis.

It’s gotten worse over the last 3 years. Ultimately I need to stop lifting weights and not put pressure on it for a month or so, aka not ride. It’s hard because my business is lifting weights and I don’t want to stop riding. :(

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone tried Spank vibracore bars? Supposed to absorb vibrations to reduce arm pump and numbness. I was thinking of trying them this year for DH.

SmooveP

If the numbness is primarily in the thumb, index and middle fingers, it may be carpal tunnel syndrome. I suffer from it occasionally, usually from too much random orbit sanding. From what I hear, the surgery can be pretty successful, but I haven't been driven to that point yet.

Johnny Utah

I had issues with this a few years ago on a carbon rigid fat bike with aluminum bars and lock on grips. I switched to ESI chunky grips and enve carbon bars, it made a world of difference. Since then I switched rigid fat bikes and went with a Thomson carbon bar, which IMHO is a bit more compliant.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I’ve found carbon bars to dampen vibrations better than alloy. I noted this the most on my DH bike. I’ve been riding a 2.8” tire on the front of my bike for some time and it seems to help as well.

I rode Ergons for a long time but the death grips brought me back to round grips for the first time in a decade.

I’d also try Floyd’s of Leadville CBD oil on the daily. It doesn’t work for everyone, but for many it is an improvement in body pain and function.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had issues with this a few years ago on a carbon rigid fat bike with aluminum bars and lock on grips. I switched to ESI chunky grips and enve carbon bars, it made a world of difference. Since then I switched rigid fat bikes and went with a Thomson carbon bar, which IMHO is a bit more compliant.
U fancy.

Also, Moab wrapup in blog plz.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Carbon makes my tennis elbow flare up within minutes . Rotate your brake levers up so that your hand is more behind the bar instead of on top . This allows you to ease off the desthgrip most likely causing the issue

Went out for an hour today. I rotated my bars back about 1/4 inch. I also swapped out the front wheel for a carbon Mavic XA pro then dropped 5 psi from my fork. The lever position and change in sweep angle seemed to have helped tremendously. The carbon wheel and softer dampening also took a lot of vibration away. I’m hopeful swapping out the grips and handlebar will bring more relief. Stay tuned...

Top Bottom