Car-spotting thread

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is going on in the car world? I mean, I can somewhat understand those crazy Porsche guys for shelling out what they do on the old air-cooled cars. Reliable, the "pure" driving experience, even though any GTI or Focus S built within the last 10 years would out-accelerate and out-handle one, but Porsche has always been really good at selling the Cool Aid. But I've seen old Integras, and now this, selling for crazy prices. Over $100k for a car that had 10 more HP than the normal GT? I have nothing against the old 5.Slow, probably would be a fun car to get and wrench on, turn into a sleeper rat-rod, but this? Must be a nostalgia thing, relive some high school glory, or get that car you always lusted after but never had? Or is this all a trickle-down effect from guys like the Floor Mat guy spending $60M on an old Ferrari? Is this the Mustang buyers "old Ferrari"?
well few things....

1. its a wrapper car....ANY of these cars with sub 500 miles go for insane prices...Grand nationals, camaros, Mark IV supras, NSX's, Ford GTs...if they are perfect, untouched still in the wrapper...like sub 1000 miles, you get that "I WANT THE STAR WARS FIGURINE STILL IN THE ORIGINAL BOX" crowd.
2. it was basically the pinnacle of the fox body from the factory....@rick81721 they did that on all of these special edition cars just so they weren't ALL bought up by collectors and got used for their intended purpose....which was to be converted for scca racing. The 93 version just basically was more of a "stripped out" car with no radio, AC, etc...The 95 and later 2000 R models had alot more modifications.
3. Nostalgia is EVERYTHING with classic cars....I used to work for a VW/Porsche shop, I was forced to drive a VW bus every day..They are the worst vehicles ever built by humans....But people shell out over 100k for old buses without issue. Nothing to do with how good a car was.
4. in the early 90s? How many cars were faster than a 5.0 mustang for the price? Id argue 0. Camaros were WAY more expensive....Corvettes were 240-275hp for 3 times the price, Mark III TT supras were more than double the price of a 5.0 and only 225hp.....My father bought his 90GT new for $12,900....you werent getting anything with that kind of power for close to that in 1990. Plus, GOD were they easy/cheap to modify. I had 3 of them and used to take mine drag strips from the time I was 16....SOO fun...and I was able to as a 16 year old buy/modify/maintain one.....There were a ton around and they had a huge following...still do. So it doesn't surprise me when nice untouched ones go for big money....Now that people my age can afford to spend some money. I mean ya they were shit boxes in the grand scheme of things...as is my 67 fastback, but lovable shit boxes.

surf1net

well few things....

3. Nostalgia is EVERYTHING with classic cars....I used to work for a VW/Porsche shop, I was forced to drive a VW bus every day..They are the worst vehicles ever built by humans....But people shell out over 100k for old buses without issue. Nothing to do with how good a car was.

Although some might say it's not a classic, for me its Nostalgic. I would buy a 77-79 vette that needs a little work for the price of a race build BLUR.

THATmanMANNY

I picked up my Model S that was in for recall/bulletin work and on one of the service desk PC screens I saw this very interesting live stat. It showed Tesla Fleet stats. 565k vehicles. Then a Pie chart that said what percentage was online, asleep, offline, waking up, low battery etc. Then it said 10.5 Billion miles driven.

I thought that is pretty cool to share!

Edit: @Carson haha. I literally just posted without know you just did. But c'mon that could totally be fake news! @rick81721 Also, after your burnout video the next recommended video was interesting things you find after a tsunami. Rubber from burnouts?

THATmanMANNY

So the winner CAN have their cake and eat it too?!

You guys are rolling deep. What is the association or reason for that raffle? Are they invested in some EV tech either it be in a Tesla or other brand or infrastructure?

rick81721

Lothar
I picked up my Model S that was in for recall/bulletin work and on one of the service desk PC screens I saw this very interesting live stat. It showed Tesla Fleet stats. 565k vehicles. Then a Pie chart that said what percentage was online, asleep, offline, waking up, low battery etc. Then it said 10.5 Billion miles driven.

I thought that is pretty cool to share!

Edit: @Carson haha. I literally just posted without know you just did. But c'mon that could totally be fake news! @rick81721 Also, after your burnout video the next recommended video was interesting things you find after a tsunami. Rubber from burnouts?

So Elon Musk knows where your Tesla is at all times? That's a little spooky

Top Bottom