Car-spotting thread

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
agreed...and to add to this...in todays world as opposed to say a 1965 car....labor is EXPENSIVE and tech is cheap....So you try to eliminate as many human steps as possible...more human steps, more hardware, more procedures, more time, etc...Sub-assemblies are so much more complete now than ever before. I haven't bought a replacement CV boot in years, you just buy a whole new axle. Cheaper/easier for X car company to have a "contract manufacturer" build axle assemblies then to have their laborers do it.

The tech really is cheap, and that is a place where they really rape us when it comes time to "option" the cars. In today's world there's no reason why things like LED lights and Nav shouldn't be standard, but most times you'll have to pay an up-charge.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The tech really is cheap, and that is a place where they really rape us when it comes time to "option" the cars. In today's world there's no reason why things like LED lights and Nav shouldn't be standard, but most times you'll have to pay an up-charge.

Purely to get more money. There probably is a higher cost (LED Bulbs require heat sinks and such) but nowhere near what they charge.

Heated seats on a Ford is like $200. Heated seats on a BMW is $800. Both cars are using parts that cost less than $20 to the manufacturer.

On cars that don't sell outside of higher end markets, I would think they keep their costs down due to lack of changes. If all the electrical gadgets are thrown in at the base level vehicle, that's less wiring harnesses, different drawings, engineering time, etc. One of the only reasons some cars even have the lower-end models is I would think they sell outside the US market.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
most of the time the wire harness and bolt holes are there in the car for EVERY option anymore, all you do is plug the module in and bolt it down for whatever feature, this is why you see a fair number of people adding in factory options aftermarket and its so stupidly easy to do.

one of the the worst things about newer cars (imo) is that diagnostics are so damn complicated, especially without a GOOD OBDII scanner which can talk to all the different modules and display realtime data.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are they that rare? I see them fairly often enough by me. Much more than the older R32's.

Not rare but they sell. So to find a leftover (temp tag) now is rare. But maybe it was used or a demo? Or maybe it's an 18 with 17 wheels.

VW Freehold is showing $4000+ off a GTI and $2000 over sticker on their Golf Rs in stock. Silly.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not rare but they sell. So to find a leftover (temp tag) now is rare. But maybe it was used or a demo? Or maybe it's an 18 with 17 wheels.

VW Freehold is showing $4000+ off a GTI and $2000 over sticker on their Golf Rs in stock. Silly.
Is that where you got your VW? Good spot?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's

This is exactly the same conclusion I care to. Even at the real #’s the R was a tough sell, which, at the time, was a couple tanks of gas below MSRP. With a ~$300 piggyback the base model will put out better hp and tq than a stock R.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@1sh0t1b33r

If you are planning on getting a GTI, the Mk8 is supposedly going to be a mild hybrid with a 48V electrical system. Release in 2019 in Europe and 2020 in the US. I don't know about you, but I'd want nothing to do with that.

Maybe @jimvreeland, you, and me can all order 2019 models next year and get a good package deal on them!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@1sh0t1b33r

If you are planning on getting a GTI, the Mk8 is supposedly going to be a mild hybrid with a 48V electrical system. Release in 2019 in Europe and 2020 in the US. I don't know about you, but I'd want nothing to do with that.

Maybe @jimvreeland, you, and me can all order 2019 models next year and get a good package deal on them!
Strongly considering. Like I mentioned, it’s the perfect amount of power without getting in to much trouble, and I love hatchbacks for the keeping it small and sporty, but spacious. The only downside is I’ve driven an average of almost 20k a year. Will a turbo VW be up to the task of high mileage daily that I’d want to buy and maintain.

Definitely trying to get in before electrical BS.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Strongly considering. Like I mentioned, it’s the perfect amount of power without getting in to much trouble, and I love hatchbacks for the keeping it small and sporty, but spacious. The only downside is I’ve driven an average of almost 20k a year. Will a turbo VW be up to the task of high mileage daily that I’d want to buy and maintain.

Not my category of cars but maybe a wrx?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
@1sh0t1b33r

I'm going backwards. Been looking for another MK1.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

If you don't drive like an asshole and wind it out everytime you drive it'll be fine.
I can get close to 40 MPG on my daily commute of 60 miles if I really try. Usually it's 35 to 36 mpg without trying.
And the seats go way back, so tall people, like Ze Germans.... can actually be comfortable.

2.0 turbos are universal at this point. Everything from sports cars, to sedans, to Full Size pickups are starting to come with them.

Top Bottom