Car-spotting thread

rick81721

Lothar
Stopped at a gear head's garage in the next town east during today's ride. Chevy guy - this 40 Studebaker has a chevy 350 in it. He also had a 55 gasser, 65 nova wagon with a ~ 500 hp motor in it, and a 79 Camaro that he was putting a 73 Camaro front end on.

22637268_1691669554200559_151975510803480576_n.jpg

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
interesting that the SUV will use a Chinese frame to start

As good as that Volvo looks, I'm confident it won't come anywhere near those Bavarian "gas guzzlers". AMG Benz, the M-Division, or Quattro GmBh have anything to worry about, since Volvo usually misses that mark by about a mile.

qclabrat

As good as that Volvo looks, I'm confident it won't come anywhere near those Bavarian "gas guzzlers". AMG Benz, the M-Division, or Quattro GmBh have anything to worry about, since Volvo usually misses that mark by about a mile.

I agree with the build and engineering being inferior.
But their interiors are first class, recall they lured an interior lead from one of the big exotics. The back seats on the xc90 are only second to the panamera in my opinion

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I agree with the build and engineering being inferior.
But their interiors are first class, recall they lured an interior lead from one of the big exotics. The back seats on the xc90 are only second to the panamera in my opinion

Yea, the interior is nice, but the interior in a GL or Q7 is also a nice place to sit, and those 2 can handle and come with real motors. Who puts a 2.0L 4cly in the top of their range 5000lb SUV?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel like Volvo just gave up trying. The newest generations are literally just a box. The only Volvo that was ever almost cool was the S60R. Their reputation has always seemed to be safety and comfort, but that's about it. Expensive to buy, expensive to fix, yet nothing special.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I feel like Volvo just gave up trying. The newest generations are literally just a box. The only Volvo that was ever almost cool was the S60R. Their reputation has always seemed to be safety and comfort, but that's about it. Expensive to buy, expensive to fix, yet nothing special.

That was the old Volvo, before they were bought and sold. Inline turbo 5's in the S60 and V70R's that had that 3 way adjustable Ohlins suspension. They make good looking cars today, put performance and individuality are long gone.

Questions about front license plate:

1. Will I get a ticket without it?
2. Is yours "temporary"?
3. I'm going to switch to FL registration next year, they only have license in rear so I don't want anything permanent up front. Will only be in NJ with it 7 weeks

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/ReplacingPlates.htm

It takes 10 - 12 weeks to receive duplicate plates with the same number. I've always used that excuse to avoid front plate tickets.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

2. Is yours "temporary"?
3. I'm going to switch to FL registration next year, they only have license in rear so I don't want anything permanent up front. Will only be in NJ with it 7 weeks

1. You can. It's $54 and no points.
2. Yes. Mine is attached to the tow hook bolt so no bumper holes. Mostly it's off anyways. I haven't been stopped for any car with no front plate since I was in college and driving around at 2am.
3. Tell the dealer to leave the front plate mount off then. Unlikely you'll get bothered about it anyway. Particularly for 7 weeks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
1. You can. It's $54 and no points.
2. Yes. Mine is attached to the tow hook bolt so no bumper holes. Mostly it's off anyways. I haven't been stopped for any car with no front plate since I was in college and driving around at 2am.
3. Tell the dealer to leave the front plate mount off then. Unlikely you'll get bothered about it anyway. Particularly for 7 weeks.

why not directly register it in florida? - they can do that.

florida's sales tax is also 1% lower.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

2. Is yours "temporary"?

I recently bought a CPO'd SUV to haul kids and junk (mostly our bike and fishing shit) on vacations. Was originally registered in PA so no front plate, and I told the dealer to leave it off. I think as long as your not driving a tinted and slammed Civic or Scooby with an obnoxiously loud exhaust, you should be ok. Also, just about every Cayman or 911 I (never mind Lambo or Fezo) I see is missing the front plate. I think the real crime is to put a front plate on any of those.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I recently bought a CPO'd SUV to haul kids and junk (mostly our bike and fishing shit) on vacations. Was originally registered in PA so no front plate, and I told the dealer to leave it off. I think as long as your not driving a tinted and slammed Civic or Scooby with an obnoxiously loud exhaust, you should be ok. Also, just about every Cayman or 911 I (never mind Lambo or Fezo) I see is missing the front plate. I think the real crime is to put a front plate on any of those.

i had a sweet fiero gt (gag) and left the front plate off. never a problem.
wonder if i have a picture of that somewhere.

Top Bottom