Car-spotting thread

I have an older GTI, have driven a new R, and spending an extra $15k for the R is just not worth it. Marginally faster than the GTI, and handling is a wash. The best AWD car built on that platform is by far the RS3. That car is just bonkers fast, the motor sounds amazing, and it corners and goes. Some will say that its not "special enough" for an RS car, but I'll disagree on that point. That car will shame most things on the road. Quite honestly, the only reason I didn't pull the trigger was price. Pushing high 60's out the door with tax was too hard to swallow, that's almost certified Porsche money. My wife, the voice of reason said "if you're going to spend Porsche money, just spend a little more and get a Porsche". God bless that woman. Reasonably priced certified ones should be available in a year though.

Thanks for your input. An RS3 in not in my cards, but they are awesome cars. The 255/235 front/rear staggered tires are a bit odd. But I think I'd get over it. Having my M2 in the garage for fun days, I think the GTI would be the perfect DD. Practical enough, cheap enough, and fun enough.

I realized today that in trips to Vermont, Tennessee, and Indy this year cost me $800 in fuel in the Raptor!

So Rick, I'm trying to keep an open mind as to what my next car will be (gravitating towards a certified Cayman S or 911, maybe C63 AMG), but love that motor in the GT-350. So the Car and Driver guys (link below) have been beating on a GT-350 for the last 30k miles, and have noticed excessive oil consumption. Are you observing the same thing, or have these guys just been beating the shit out of the car, driving it like its stolen since day one, with no break-in?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-reliability-update-3

Yep that's one of the issues with these cars. Ford performance claims they are designed to consume oil, and up to 1 qt/500 miles is "normal". I've kept a spreadsheet from day 1 with oil use, oil changes, etc. Mine consumed nothing the first 2-3K miles, then started to get oil thirsty. At a little over 7K now after 10 months, and it seems to be ~ 1qt/1000 miles. From the board I'm on, the average seems to be 1qt/1500 - some consume less, some more. If it gets really bad, Ford will initiate an oil consumption test - if they find it burning more than 1qt/500 miles they will replace the motor. I have the warranty + ext warranty that should last close to 10 years so I'm not worried about it - worst case I get a new motor.

Yep that's one of the issues with these cars. Ford performance claims they are designed to consume oil, and up to 1 qt/500 miles is "normal". I've kept a spreadsheet from day 1 with oil use, oil changes, etc. Mine consumed nothing the first 2-3K miles, then started to get oil thirsty. At a little over 7K now after 10 months, and it seems to be ~ 1qt/1000 miles. From the board I'm on, the average seems to be 1qt/1500 - some consume less, some more. If it gets really bad, Ford will initiate an oil consumption test - if they find it burning more than 1qt/500 miles they will replace the motor. I have the warranty + ext warranty that should last close to 10 years so I'm not worried about it - worst case I get a new motor.

The rental I had in Indy (turo.com) was on it's second motor for oil consumption. The second motor was going through a quart every 500-750 miles so the owner was considering trying for a third motor.

Yeah, I don't want no AWD junk either.

I've also been strongly considering the Fiesta ST again since they seem to be giving them away at close 19-20k. Either way, not ready for a purchase yet.

Used to be my favorite car, alongside the Mclaren F1.

308 gts FTW - my boyhood fav!

1536957645024.png

The rental I had in Indy (turo.com) was on it's second motor for oil consumption. The second motor was going through a quart every 500-750 miles so the owner was considering trying for a third motor.

Yeah it's interesting, most people who track these cars don't see nearly as much consumption when hammering the car.

That guy spent a whole lot of time and a boat-load of money to make his car almost as fast as a car VW/Audi already make (RS3).
Yeah, I don’t get it. Maybe because you can’t fit 2 kids + 60 lbs dog in a RS3? Brand loyalty makes people do silly things.

Yeah, I don’t get it. Maybe because you can’t fit 2 kids + 60 lbs dog in a RS3? Brand loyalty makes people do silly things.

The A3/RS has as much room, if not more, than a Golf/GTI/R. You can easily fit 2adults comfortably in the back seats. If your throwing 60lb dog into the mix, neither vehicle is ideal.

Modding is one of those theoretical things where some people think they can increase the performance of their car to match car X at half he price, but when done right ends up costing almost as much as car X.

Back
Top Bottom