Car-spotting thread

35166306_253745931840642_1470756321530740736_n.jpg

I think it's a 72 el camino SS 454. Auto trans tho ( and the ridiculous hood paint job)

Don't know but if you want the guy's number I'll get it

where is it? I'd go look at it for giggles. its a '70 and if a real SS it would have one of three big engines in it....an SS 396 or SS 454. the LS6 version is a rarity....

I just like these things for some reason.

where is it? I'd go look at it for giggles. its a '70 and if a real SS it would have one of three big engines in it....an SS 396 or SS 454. the LS6 version is a rarity....

Supposed to be an SS 454 according to the badging. Didn't look under the hood

221 Belle Mead Griggstown Road

Belle Mead, NJ 08502

40.451623, -74.643366

Last edited:

Not a '70 either a '71 or '72. '70s had double headlights.

A friend of mine in PA has a repair shop. He works on anything, and loves problem cars. Sent this latest repair he did. Check engine light on, with no problems noticed by the driver/owner.

I want to try what ever those bmw engineers are smoking.

"With the Mini it wound up being the radiator. As far as its' duties as a heat exchanger there were NO issues. For emission credits being as they can't get it to run clean enough...They coat the radiator with a catalyst that converts ozone as you drive the car. It is monitored by a module. The module had a LIN bus error as it couldn't respond properly. This caused the check engine light to come on. They don't sell the module separate. You have to replace the radiator that has it. "

^^That's a 17 leftover. Wonder where they found that? The 18s have really ugly wheels but the new 7-speed DSG.

^^That's a 17 leftover. Wonder where they found that? The 18s have really ugly wheels but the new 7-speed DSG.
Are they that rare? I see them fairly often enough by me. Much more than the older R32's.

A friend of mine in PA has a repair shop. He works on anything, and loves problem cars. Sent this latest repair he did. Check engine light on, with no problems noticed by the driver/owner.

I want to try what ever those bmw engineers are smoking.

"With the Mini it wound up being the radiator. As far as its' duties as a heat exchanger there were NO issues. For emission credits being as they can't get it to run clean enough...They coat the radiator with a catalyst that converts ozone as you drive the car. It is monitored by a module. The module had a LIN bus error as it couldn't respond properly. This caused the check engine light to come on. They don't sell the module separate. You have to replace the radiator that has it. "

The reason for this is more more simple than you would imagine. The engineers design the cars to the project sponsors requirements, so in addition to performance, style, comfort, the car must be scaleable and easy to manufacture. Since labor is probably half the cost of the car, they are designed to be manufactured in the most efficient way possible. That means sharing platforms, components, and bundling as much of the components together as possible. For example, that means bundling 3-4 emissions sensors together vs. individually. This modularity is great for the manufacturer, but what this means for consumers is that when something breaks, it costs $$$ to replace the part.

The reason for this is more more simple than you would imagine. The engineers design the cars to the project sponsors requirements, so in addition to performance, style, comfort, the car must be scaleable and easy to manufacture. Since labor is probably half the cost of the car, they are designed to be manufactured in the most efficient way possible. That means sharing platforms, components, and bundling as much of the components together as possible. For example, that means bundling 3-4 emissions sensors together vs. individually. This modularity is great for the manufacturer, but what this means for consumers is that when something breaks, it costs $$$ to replace the part.
agreed...and to add to this...in todays world as opposed to say a 1965 car....labor is EXPENSIVE and tech is cheap....So you try to eliminate as many human steps as possible...more human steps, more hardware, more procedures, more time, etc...Sub-assemblies are so much more complete now than ever before. I haven't bought a replacement CV boot in years, you just buy a whole new axle. Cheaper/easier for X car company to have a "contract manufacturer" build axle assemblies then to have their laborers do it.

Back
Top Bottom