Car Buying & Price Negotiating via Email - Thoughts? Stories?

The answer looks like it depends on the loan. In the case of most car loans, it looks like they are "precomputed interest loan". I don't think most school and home loans work like this and you can prepay on the principle of the loan as long as you are covering your monthly payments.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/prepay-mortgage-principal-not-interest.aspx
Correct. It all depends, but cars are usually precomputed as you say, that's why you get a monthly rate ahead of time and that amount depends on the length. School, etc. is definitely different. I know with my school loans, I'm pretty much just paying off the interest at the beginning.

Correct. It all depends, but cars are usually precomputed as you say, that's why you get a monthly rate ahead of time and that amount depends on the length. School, etc. is definitely different. I know with my school loans, I'm pretty much just paying off the interest at the beginning.

Then why are you arguing about my experience with my school loans?

i've never had a pre-computed loan, probably because they were from a real bank.
"call for payoff amount" - and each payment shows how much interest and how much principal is paid.
just pay off the principal, and interest to the day of the payment - but again, they have all been in NJ,
and from a new car dealer with chase, boa, gm financial.....

just read the loan, and get the person to write, no pre-payment penalty. Make up some lame excuse, like you are thinking about
getting a mustang in a couple years, and would come back for them to find it.

Most car loans are not amortized like a home loan. Paying ahead doesn't save you any interest. Prepayment penalties are illegal in NJ, though.

http://www.automatchconsulting.com/

AutoMatchConsulting@gmail.com

Tom McParland

After 11 years, 11 months and 11 days and 190,000 miles my Honda Pilot died Sunday of Wild Card Weekend. One of the spark plugs melted and a chunk of it was inhaled by the 3.5 liter V-6 engine, where it remains, on its way to a charity in Sierra Leone.

I have been researching my next vehicle for literally years and had updated the research recently. However, I do a kind of migrant farm work for symbol manipulators and the fruit is ripe this time of year, so time is precious.

I called my alpha car nut friend, Kevin. He was a client at Avis six years ago and I had kept in contact with him and a couple of the guys. He talked about cars with me for a half an hour, which is just about his favorite thing in the world to do. He recommended Tom McParland, a broker, who Kevin knew from the car newsletters that he reads online religiously.

I researched McParland, checked his website out http://www.automatchconsulting.com/ and gave him a call on Thursday 1/18/18. We talked for 15 minutes about the detailed specifications:

Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid

Base MSRP/Invoice $45,160/41,231

Color in order of preference: Red, White, Blue, Silver

Wheel locks $80/50

Roof rails and cross pieces $350/250

Remote starter $500/400?

Side body moldings $210/125

Door edge guards $125/75

Running boards $599/400 Total Est Options $1865/1,300

Delivery fee $995/995

TOTAL $48,018/ est $43,525

Sales Tax @ 7%

(about four and a third Bitcoin)

(Currently on Groundhog day: six BTC)

that I had emailed AutoMatchConsulting@gmail.com him earlier in the day. I bought the premium package on his website, because I wanted him to handle everything up through delivery (the fruit would otherwise rot in the fields). On Thurday January 25 at 5pm, Tom sent me a build sheet for the new whip, which had to hold two MTBs in the back. The available SUV didn’t have everything that I wanted, but aftermarket parts are actually cheaper. The price was very good. I gave the dealer a $1,000 deposit with my VISA by phone.

It was delivered Tuesday January 30, 2018 by two young sales associates who took me through all the electronics for about 1 hour, accepted my check and went back to Pennsylvania to prepare for the Super Bowl.

Everything went as planned and when I get all this fruit in bushel baskets, I will have time to take my first drive.

New Whip_20180131062021-03.jpg

Bad picture, yeah. Have to get it outside this weekend.

Last edited:
@thegock Good choice Tom. My wife bought a Highlander new in '04; it became a third vehicle in '13 when we bought the Sienna. At this rate my kids will prolly learn to drive in it in 2028.

GLWI.

Made a rookie mistake when buying a car for my daughter, I read about, had it on my mental checklist, but unfortunately forgot to bring it up before signing.

Make sure the car comes with a set of keys (2) and perhaps a valet key as well. Every used car I've purchased had at least two keys. After signing the salesguy told me there was only one key and that he would check with the original owner, who traded in the car in for the other key. After two weeks, there is no other key and the VW keys are about $250 plus a charge to cut the key and program the transponder. It will be $300 I wasn't expecting and apparently you can't use one of those remanufactured keys on eBay. Confirm number of keys before signing and have them include it in the contract. Lesson learned....

http://www.automatchconsulting.com/

AutoMatchConsulting@gmail.com

Tom McParland

After 11 years, 11 months and 11 days and 190,000 miles my Honda Pilot died Sunday of Wild Card Weekend. One of the spark plugs melted and a chunk of it was inhaled by the 3.5 liter V-6 engine, where it remains, on its way to a charity in Sierra Leone.

I have been researching my next vehicle for literally years and had updated the research recently. However, I do a kind of migrant farm work for symbol manipulators and the fruit is ripe this time of year, so time is precious.

I called my alpha car nut friend, Kevin. He was a client at Avis six years ago and I had kept in contact with him and a couple of the guys. He talked about cars with me for a half an hour, which is just about his favorite thing in the world to do. He recommended Tom McParland, a broker, who Kevin knew from the car newsletters that he reads online religiously.

I researched McParland, checked his website out http://www.automatchconsulting.com/ and gave him a call on Thursday 1/18/18. We talked for 15 minutes about the detailed specifications:

Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid

Base MSRP/Invoice $45,160/41,231

Color in order of preference: Red, White, Blue, Silver

Wheel locks $80/50

Roof rails and cross pieces $350/250

Remote starter $500/400?

Side body moldings $210/125

Door edge guards $125/75

Running boards $599/400 Total Est Options $1865/1,300

Delivery fee $995/995

TOTAL $48,018/ est $43,525

Sales Tax @ 7%

(about four and a third Bitcoin)

that I had emailed AutoMatchConsulting@gmail.com him earlier in the day. I bought the premium package on his website, because I wanted him to handle everything up through delivery (the fruit would otherwise rot in the fields). On Thurday January 25 at 5pm, Tom sent me a build sheet for the new whip, which had to hold two MTBs in the back. The available SUV didn’t have everything that I wanted, but aftermarket parts are actually cheaper. The price was very good. I gave the dealer a $1,000 deposit with my VISA by phone.

It was delivered Tuesday January 30, 2018 by two young sales associates who took me through all the electronics for about 1 hour, accepted my check and went back to Pennsylvania to prepare for the Super Bowl.

Everything went as planned and when I get all this fruit in bushel baskets, I will have time to take my first drive.

View attachment 62956

Bad picture, yeah. Have to get it outside this weekend.
RIP cherry red Pilot,
Your friend, sage green Pilot

Back
Top Bottom