Car Buying & Price Negotiating via Email - Thoughts? Stories?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You are not a teenager living in central NJ in 2017.

Critical.

ha, your right, but i was a teenager living in north jersey in 2007, i think i forgot to mention i had to buy my first car on my own, no help from mom and dad . . .

qclabrat

overall good advice here, though isn't there a saying about "touching someone else's money"
Why get on me for putting my kid behind a safe and dependable car which also looks good (okay, I'm buying a car for me and my kid my borrow it at times, better?) Even thought about getting on with all the new safety features, but that really puts the price over the top for me

my kid is more worried about which case, and the screen saver.....

...kids. :D

my daughter's best friend just got a new Audi TT, so a GTI is kind of muted IMO

qclabrat

I'm guessing you saw Koons or Heritage dealership pricing in MD/VA? They do have higher fees but it's still a good deal. I used their prices (plus their higher fees) when I bought my 14 Mustang at Fullerton. When I bought my CX-5, I tried the same thing. Local dealers told me go drive down to MD and buy it if it was such a good deal. I did and drove directly to Flemington Mazda (which is now gone) and showed them they lost a sale.

Yes, technically the fees are negotiable. And yes, technically the car prices are artificially low and they add the fees on to make it profitable again. I was okay with that. If Car A is $10,000 with $1000 in fees and Car B is $1,000 with $9,500 in fees, I'm buying Car B.

Good luck!
surprising they didn't come up, but worth reaching out to them
King VW, Alexandria, Sheehy and O-something

qclabrat

Pretty much this. Damn millenials.

I had to buy my own first car. And I can tell you it wasn't a fancy GTI in a cool color. Why aren't you putting your kid in a safe, slow car @qclabrat? Get him a Volvo stationwagon.
This....

You have two color choices.
A) any color
B) no car

yeah, I was pretty pissed when my HS graduation gift turned out to be a white CRX when I asked for the canary Si version which was sold out
took a couple grand to get it faster than the Si, could have save them money #fakenews

qclabrat

im a millenial - my first car was a 1990 corsica
that's a hot car, but I think this is a 1989, body style change the following year...
16090662_large.jpg

Gnick

How much of a discount should one be looking for on a new 2017 leftover?
i was trying to do a lot of negotiating through email and didnt get real far. Most dealerships are showing an "online" price which is significantly lower than their lot price. i did a ton of research and spoke to a lot of people on this. the internet has forced dealerships to be much more competitive due to transparency. most of their money is made on warranties and service work .With that being said, I think you will still be able to negotiate things like vehicle add ons (i got a bedliner for my truck), and you might be able to get a few hundred dollars knocked off the sticker price. Also, i was armed with a few different credit approvals, and using the dealer financing allowed me to save a little bit of money as well since they get kickbacks from that.

good luck

qclabrat

Buying with cash means nothing anymore. Price for GTI, never got low enough worth the drive down. States like MD and VA are not required to disclose all incentives like NJ. Stupid ones like $1000 off for trading in a car newer than 2013 and $1700 if you don't finance. Got tired of asking for actual numbers, good thing I don't need the car right away.

Gnick

Buying with cash means nothing anymore. Price for GTI, never got low enough worth the drive down. States like MD and VA are not required to disclose all incentives like NJ. Stupid ones like $1000 off for trading in a car newer than 2013 and $1700 if you don't finance. Got tired of asking for actual numbers, good thing I don't need the car right away.
yes - cash means nothing unless buying from a private seller. you can actually get a better deal at a dearlership if you finance through them because they get incentiveized by the banks they work with.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ask to finance the car. You may find a lower price since they'll make money from the interest. Once you get the price, pull a switcheroo and say you are paying cash. My grandparents did this once. Saved a few grand and pissed off a few people at the dealership.:D

rick81721

Lothar
I've discovered one downside to buying a car out-of-state - getting tags/title is a friggen nightmare. Here it is 2+ months since I bought the car and still no plates/title. The PA temp tag expired jan 4, luckily I was able to get a FL temp tag for another 10 days and the dealer said the plates/title should arrive before that one expired - nope. Ironically, if there was a lien on the car I could've registered it in FL and gotten the plates when I got the temp plate and my FL drivers license. But with no lien, gotta wait for the title. Never had an issue getting plates from NJ in the past, thinking the dealer dropped the ball here.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ask to finance the car. You may find a lower price since they'll make money from the interest. Once you get the price, pull a switcheroo and say you are paying cash. My grandparents did this once. Saved a few grand and pissed off a few people at the dealership.:D

Why not get financing then just pay it off all at once in the first month?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why not get financing then just pay it off all at once in the first month?
At that point you already agreed to a monthly payment which includes the interest, so just multiply it by how many months and there's your $40000 for your $20000 Pilot. Some payments plans also lock you in with the agreement that you can't pay any extra.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At that point you already agreed to a monthly payment which includes the interest, so just multiply it by how many months and there's your $40000 for your $20000 Pilot. Some payments plans also lock you in with the agreement that you can't pay any extra.

im pretty sure its illegal in NJ to have a penalty for paying off a loan early, so this should fall into that category IMO

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

So they calculate lump sum interest ahead of time for the future? I could be wrong, but I don't think that's how interest works. I paid off all my student loan in a few months for the original loan amount + a few months of interest.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So they charge you lump sum interest ahead of time for the future? I could be wrong, but I don't think that's how interest works. I paid off all my student loan in a few months for the original loan amount + a few months of interest.
When do you think you pay it off then? It's included in the payments, just like school payments. It's definitely not a lump sum at the end.

Top Bottom