Car Buying & Price Negotiating via Email - Thoughts? Stories?

qclabrat

I bought my Shelby from a dealer in Pennsylvania that is ~120 miles away. Turned out to be the easiest and most pleasant car-buying experience ever. Wasn't any price negotiation tho, so that's a difference, but the nice part is you do everything via email, then just go to the dealer, sign the paperwork and drive away. I don't understand your part about paying "fees" tho if you pay cash or have your own lender. What fees? That sounds like a ripoff. I paid cash for the Shelby and nothing was added, just paid taxes/registration.

the fees I have been quoted are the following
- destination
- tags and title
- processing (I'm going to ask what that includes)
- financing (this one is a hoax to get people to finance with them and is in the fine print that the price is based on financing, but VW has a 0% apr for 5 years at the moment, but I've asked about it pretending not knowing about the 0%)

what's acceptable for any of fees above? if they claim processing fee is $1K, that sounds like BS

rick81721

Lothar
the fees I have been quoted are the following
- destination
- tags and title
- processing (I'm going to ask what that includes)
- financing (this one is a hoax to get people to finance with them and is in the fine print that the price is based on financing, but VW has a 0% apr for 5 years at the moment, but I've asked about it pretending not knowing about the 0%)

what's acceptable for any of fees above? if they claim processing fee is $1K, that sounds like BS

Should only be paying destination, tags and title. I also bought an extended warranty, but also negotiated that price via email prior to pick up

And taxes of course. I also got nailed for federal and state gas guzzler tax (boo!)

qclabrat

Should only be paying destination, tags and title. I also bought an extended warranty, but also negotiated that price via email prior to pick up
Are those costs negotiable or is it a documented? I think the destination charge is on the new car info

qclabrat

You're buying your still unlicensed kid (iirc) a new GTI and you're concerned about her color preferences? HA.

And people said we were crazy for giving mine a 9 year old Land Rover.

When was the last time you remember color not a top requirement for a female? No offense to the other gender, but it's true.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yea shes getting a FREE (to her) car, she can deal with whatever damn color the dealer is willing to give you the best price on.

hell my first car was 10 years old with 200k miles on it and i was happy to have it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Kids today don't care about cars. My son seems more excited about getting a new iphone for the holidays than when we gave him a car.

my kid is more worried about which case, and the screen saver.....

...kids. :D

kdebello

I just realized I never updated my car search in this thread.

Wife was looking for a 3 row SUV/Crossover to replace our minivan. Came down to the VW Atlas, Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander. She did the test drives, liked them all. I was pushing for the Atlas, but at the time you could barely find one on the lots and they weren't budging on the price. At least what my cheap ass calls budging.

We were down to the Pilot EX-L or the Highlander XLE. Pilot was about $1500 higher as configured. I emailed 10-12 dealers for each car. They got back to me fairly quickly with a "no haggle price". Between both cars, the first quotes were all over the place. I specifically asked for an out the door price and to list out all fees. Most gave the info I wanted, some sent the before tax price, some wouldn't list the fees. They ALL wanted me to come in to talk. I'm not setting foot in the showroom until I know exactly what I'm paying and let them know I was serious and working with multiple dealers.

All of the Honda dealers got to about the same price, within $500. None would budge at all on the fees. They were all at $800 total for doc and DMV fees. In the end, the Toyota was much more negotiable. This car was the lowest on my list mainly because of the small amount of space behind the 3rd row, but my wife liked it, and it has a features the Honda didn't. We ended up getting the Highlander for $5k less than my lowest price on the Honda.

We've leased the last few vehicles. I wanted to get out of leasing, but I like having the wife and kids in a new car. The last vehicle we bought went to hell after 70k miles. Once the wife is stranded on the side of the road with 2 kids, it gives a compelling argument to get her in something reliable. This is how I convinced myself against my better judgement to lease again.

So now I go back to the top 5 dealers and start negotiating a lease. No money down, only 1st month and fees. Plus, let's lower that DMV fee. $400 to title a car is insane. $400 doc fee? For what? Again, the prices came back all over the place. Toyota of Morristown came in with the best price, and they're close. They were the only dealer who agreed on 1st month and fees. I had a set price/out of pocket set and wasn't going to budge. Since we had a car to use in the meantime, and didn't have to get anything right now, I felt secure in letting this all go if we weren't happy. I threw out a price much, much lower than quoted and well below my set price. They came back with to get to that we'd have to raise the out of pocket. I said thanks, but we'll have to pass. We heard back a few days later and they took my offer. I told them I'd have a check written out, I wanted to come in sign and hit the road. We get there at 9am, were sent to talk to someone other than the woman I dealt with through emails. He asks for the check which I thought we'd give to finance, but ok. Did the insurance thing...........then sat. We had to wait for the finance guy.

Finance goes through the usual stuff. Tries to make small talk. I don't trust him. I ask him to show me the last page with the final totals to make sure it's what was agreed upon. He says he has to start from the beginning with the digital desktop they use now. OK. We go through it all and he says, "now all I need is the check for $2500". WTF?????? I already gave a check! I brought up the emails with the agreed price, how much down, detailing payment, out of pocket and specifically stating that if any of the listed amounts change, we walk. So we did. Got halfway down the hall and he comes out and says let's see what we can do. I tend to get a little excited, what my wife sometimes calls "overboard". I don't think I yelled, but he did get us back in his office, this time shutting the door. Magically, the $2500 disappears and we sign for the agreed price.

Bottom line, it took a lot of work, A TON of emails, but I set a price, stuck to my guns and the wife is happy. (even if we can't fit softball gear for 2 girls behind the 3rd row.)

Oh yeah, TrueCar, Costco Auto Program were about the same price. The prices I negotiated when we were looking at buying, were much less than that.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I never finished reading this thread and now have a good reason. Planning to pick up a '17 GTI this month and just started the shopping process. I'd prefer to buy local, as it's harder to walk away after driving 200 miles, but prices are quite a bit more attractive in the DC area ($3-4K less). I've reached out to 3 dealerships down there, asked about their fees on top of the listed price on Autotrader/Cargurus and as expected, they listed out what's in addition. But no numbers, next step I'll them to itemize each and start looking at TrueCar. After getting some real numbers, I'll talk to local dealers to see if they come close. If not, I'll start negotiating with the DC dealerships.

This thread has been really useful, I'm I missing anything? Incentives end on Jan 2, any reason to buy now or wait till after x-mas? Also many dealerships have told me the price requires a loan through them, and if I wanted to pay cash or my own lender, I would still need to pay the fees. Seems like most dealers are playing that game. Inventory is my only concern, as my kid has two colors preferences.

I'm guessing you saw Koons or Heritage dealership pricing in MD/VA? They do have higher fees but it's still a good deal. I used their prices (plus their higher fees) when I bought my 14 Mustang at Fullerton. When I bought my CX-5, I tried the same thing. Local dealers told me go drive down to MD and buy it if it was such a good deal. I did and drove directly to Flemington Mazda (which is now gone) and showed them they lost a sale.

Yes, technically the fees are negotiable. And yes, technically the car prices are artificially low and they add the fees on to make it profitable again. I was okay with that. If Car A is $10,000 with $1000 in fees and Car B is $1,000 with $9,500 in fees, I'm buying Car B.

Good luck!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This....

You have two color choices.
A) any color
B) no car
Pretty much this. Damn millenials.

I had to buy my own first car. And I can tell you it wasn't a fancy GTI in a cool color. Why aren't you putting your kid in a safe, slow car @qclabrat? Get him a Volvo stationwagon.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My wife was really hoping for an Atlas but they wouldn’t budge at all on the lease price. Ended up with an Explorer. Not exactly what we wanted, but the best price and package we were getting for a 3rd row.
Yeah.
Brand new model. I think I was the first one to plunk down a deposit at Douglas VW and maybe the second to pick up. There was such limited availability the first two to three months. The sales guy had to hide mine off site until I picked it up so that other sales guys couldn't use it for test drives. They literally had 6 of them for first few weeks and demand for about 20. Would have gotten a Honda Pilot if the Atlas came out a few weeks later as the minivan lease was up and I wanted nothing more than to get rid of it ASAFP.

Gnick

Pretty much this. Damn millenials.

I had to buy my own first car. And I can tell you it wasn't a fancy GTI in a cool color. Why aren't you putting your kid in a safe, slow car @qclabrat? Get him a Volvo stationwagon.
im a millenial - my first car was a 1990 corsica

Top Bottom