Car Buying & Price Negotiating via Email - Thoughts? Stories?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome! I love when they tell me if they sold every car at the price I bought at, they couldn't afford to keep the lights on. It's all horseshit and if you know the numbers, you're golden. You probably ate into their holdback a little bit. Good for you.

Now you're all ready to pick up 5 kids from soccer practice.

ChrisRU

Can you compare what you paid to the prices in www.carjojo.com ? Curious how far of they might be
I took a quick look on mobile, it seems roughly in line with true car. On mobile I didn't see an option to configure and price a car exactly the way you want it, it just offers trim levels which is limited.

As @Carson mentioned, the holdback number seems to be the new number to work with, not invoice price. If you can get an idea (or the actual number) of the holdback amount you can negotiate toward a good deal.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I took a quick look on mobile, it seems roughly in line with true car. On mobile I didn't see an option to configure and price a car exactly the way you want it, it just offers trim levels which is limited.

It seems to be tailored to cars that are on the lot. Would have to find a car that is close to yours to compare.

kdebello

We're in the process of looking for a new car for my wife. Went with the Costco program to get a baseline on pricing, then shot out emails to 8 more dealerships. All came back within $400 of each other for a Honda Pilot.

Got a little frustrated with some of them since the first response was to get us to come in before giving a price. Told them all I wasn't stepping foot in their showroom until I had an idea if they were going to rip me off or not. Give me pricing and all fees in detail, then we can talk about what you're going to take off. She has another car to drive so we're not desperate. I can act like more of a dick than I usually am on this one since we have time. (The guy at Nielsen Dodge won't even talk to me anymore after turning in our last lease)

So, my wife is coming from a mini-van and understandably wants to test drive first. She's also very particular about color so she wants to see it in person. I check with the guy who I've been emailing at Autosport Honda to see if he has the color and trim she wants to take for a spin. Responds back "sure do!" She gets there and it's the wrong color and then she's told there's no gas in it so she can only drive it around the lot. WTF?? what a waste of time.

kdebello

Go to Clinton Honda ask for Charlie Bipbert and tell him your friends with Matt Bender. You will skip all the BS.

Thanks. Costco referred Clinton Honda to us as their dealer. Guy named Joe contacted me. Won't give me more info, keeps asking us to come in first. 2 days ago was the last response. I'll see if Charlie wants to make a sale.

ChrisRU

They love to tell you they have what you want or something "close" on the lot. In addition to getting pricing details, you also have to insist they are up front about the inventory. Have them send you a PDF of the window sticker before you make the trip next time.

Keep us updated!

kdebello

When we turned in our lease to Nielsen Dodge, my wife wanted to just look at the Pacifica. She hated the colors and we were told by the Sales Mgr if they had to get it from another dealer they couldn't deal on the price. I told her bullshit. In 2 minutes I can find a dealer that has what my wife likes and we'll head there. There's 2 billion mini vans in NJ, it can't be hard to find. My wife decided she doesn't want another van anyway. Plus, their first offer was to go right for a lease again, they wanted $520/month with something like $3k down! The sad thing is there were multiple families in the dealer that probably really needed a car and were forced to take any deal they could get or talked into something they don't need and can't afford. That place really pissed me off.

The sales guy we were with (the one who now hates me) insisted I take it for a test drive. Told him I don't want to, don't care, I'll never be the one to drive it. He reaches over and starts the car for me (I'm sitting in the drivers seat). I told him if I take this out, I'm driving into a wall to end my misery for the day. I did not go for a test drive.

ebineezer

Can any recommend if the email negotiations work when getting prices for a lease? My jeep lease is up in October and want to get some advice as I'm not looking to stay with jeep.

Thanks in advance

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can any recommend if the email negotiations work when getting prices for a lease? My jeep lease is up in October and want to get some advice as I'm not looking to stay with jeep.

Thanks in advance

Yep. Emailed 5 dealers for GF's Jetta. Leased the next day after I confirmed numbers over phone. No nonsense.

qclabrat

I never finished reading this thread and now have a good reason. Planning to pick up a '17 GTI this month and just started the shopping process. I'd prefer to buy local, as it's harder to walk away after driving 200 miles, but prices are quite a bit more attractive in the DC area ($3-4K less). I've reached out to 3 dealerships down there, asked about their fees on top of the listed price on Autotrader/Cargurus and as expected, they listed out what's in addition. But no numbers, next step I'll them to itemize each and start looking at TrueCar. After getting some real numbers, I'll talk to local dealers to see if they come close. If not, I'll start negotiating with the DC dealerships.

This thread has been really useful, I'm I missing anything? Incentives end on Jan 2, any reason to buy now or wait till after x-mas? Also many dealerships have told me the price requires a loan through them, and if I wanted to pay cash or my own lender, I would still need to pay the fees. Seems like most dealers are playing that game. Inventory is my only concern, as my kid has two colors preferences.

rick81721

Lothar
This thread has been really useful, I'm I missing anything? Incentives end on Jan 2, any reason to buy now or wait till after x-mas? Also many dealerships have told me the price requires a loan through them, and if I wanted to pay cash or my own lender, I would still need to pay the fees. Seems like most dealers are playing that game. Inventory is my only concern, as my kid has two colors preferences.

I bought my Shelby from a dealer in Pennsylvania that is ~120 miles away. Turned out to be the easiest and most pleasant car-buying experience ever. Wasn't any price negotiation tho, so that's a difference, but the nice part is you do everything via email, then just go to the dealer, sign the paperwork and drive away. I don't understand your part about paying "fees" tho if you pay cash or have your own lender. What fees? That sounds like a ripoff. I paid cash for the Shelby and nothing was added, just paid taxes/registration.

Top Bottom