Car Buying & Price Negotiating via Email - Thoughts? Stories?

If the wife has her way, sometime within the next 10 years probably something like this:

I know you're just posting an example, but that seems like a long trailer for a Durango wheelbase, probably sketchy as F towing that thing. If you're considering towing an RV you might want to look into a crew cab pickup with a longer wheelbase.

@rlb, definitely something I'm aware of. I've read up on on what's realistic with a Durango. People are towing 26-28 foot campers with them, but I probably wouldn't. When/if it comes time, I'll certainly be keeping an eye on dry/loaded weights and what's reasonable in terms of size. I've considered a truck, but beyond having no desire to own a pickup we really need the extra people space.

I might be heading to a dealer this afternoon.

Reactions: rlb
If the wife has her way, sometime within the next 10 years probably something like this:
20160621_145511_zpsdnd84g0m.jpg

Aaaaand that's exactly why I flew to OH to buy a Yukon XL 2500. After you load in a full family, gear, etc, there's not much left in the GVWR for a trailer on regular SUVs.

Remember that tow ratings assume only a driver. Start loading people/gear and capacity drops quick. Keep an eye on tongue weight as well....

ha, another OT but related story. back like 10 years ago I was gonna do a brake job on my 4Runner and for some reason I wanted OEM parts. went to Crystal Toy to inquire and they wanted like just shy of $1000- just for pads shoes rotors and drums. That's parts out the door, not even labor. I thought they were kidding. More like RUFKM? And they didn't have them in stock.

Let's just say I got in the 'Zone shortly after that. Sounds like Crystal's tactics haven't changed much.

But it probably sounded awesome every time you stepped on the gas to pass someone. What's the mpg on a typical tank?

Riding around town and when I commuted to work about 15 mpg. Yeah it does sound great when you hit the gas, even better now with the k&n intake

Good stuff. I don't have much to add at this point. Recap may be coming in the next few days.

@rick81721 , good feedback. I know the gas mileage is going to suck. The 2012's didn't have the 8speed trans yet right? Supposedly they are slightly better on gas.

@Carson Crystal is where Kayla lost it. We were there for 6+ hours getting jerked around. I think I got a fair deal on our CX-5, but they were horrible. Our sales guy was decent, but the financing end was a nightmare. I walked in with outside financing already arranged but still spent like 3 hours arguing with them on the financials. Their guy wasn't having it. He was trying to tell me that he couldn't match the rate I had, but it would save him paperwork and be better for us if we financed through him. lol.

And the F'ing windows. He went hard on those. It was "impossible to take the car without paying for them" since "the work was done". Didn't pay for them, SaD.

I think I've learned something each time I've gone through this. I totally got ripped off buying my first car at a dealer. Early 20's and stupid. I think i'm at a point now where I'm pretty immune to the sales tactics. I have no problem walking.

@Delish, currently an ATV pretty regularly and 1000lb+ wood loads a few times a year. Our CX-5 handles these pretty well, but I'm testing its limits and its only a matter of time before the thing explodes. In 4-5 years it will probably be multiple ATVs. If the wife has her way, sometime within the next 10 years probably something like this:
20160621_145511_zpsdnd84g0m.jpg

2012 is 6 sp tranny. It goes to ecour mode when highway cruising and runs on 4 cylinders for the awesome 20 mpg

dealership 0? : RU -3 hours.

I walked. Apparently out the door price, explicitly including taxes and all fees with the sales manager is out the door price +$2k in random ass fees after the car is prepped, fueled, insured, and all the paperwork is ready to be signed with the finance guy. Who must also be in the paper making business because half the time was spent waiting for the write up. I did learn something new. I'll write up a play by play over the weekend.

Chris knowledge is your friend.
Please take a look at fightingchance.com
I got a 30k msrp for 23k taxes tags out the door. It gives you everything from what was sold in your area to ad fees, yes that's added in. What incentives the dealer gets for sale. When to purchase which is always end of the month. Hidden Cash back that all dealers use to drop the price. Searching for your own financing/lease/warranty.
After you gain all the info for your specific purchase you pick your day and do what's called an email attack. Then take the best 10-15 dealers and let them duke it out. In the end you have them by the balls. It's actually a great feeling. No hack salesman straight to main man .

I earned a few extra beers tonight, so here's the recap:

The Walkout: Round 1

So I did some diligence, got internet quotes from 6 different dealers. Secured financing. Got insurance quote. I head to Nielsen Dodge. They didn’t give me the lowest quote, but their internet guy (IG) was pretty straight forward and gave me some real numbers. I figure I go there and I’ll start a few hundred below the best quote I got, with my agreeable price being a couple hundred above that quote. IG tells me to ask for sales manager (SM).
  • Park car
  • Text wife, check through my folder of paperwork again, burn a few minutes in the parking lot
  • As I walk through the door, start stopwatch on cell phone for proper record keeping
  • No one greets me
  • I’m in the Jeep section
  • Find Dodge section
  • Stand in the middle, more than 5 minutes have elapsed since I walked through the front door. Not a good sign. Red flag #1
  • Me: [out loud] Who wants to sell me a car?
  • Get the attention of a 20ish year old sales guy at his desk. We’ll call him Greeny.
  • Me: I was told to talk to SM
  • Greeny: Let me find him.
  • Greeny: [runs around, comes back, points] He’s over there [with a customer]
  • Me: [thinks to myself, this will work, I don’t care who I’m dealing with] I’m here to buy a car, do you want to sell me a car?
  • Greeny: Yeah, I'm your guy.
  • [time passes where he gets my license, asks me whats I want, etc.]
  • Me: Here’s the VIN. I already talked to IG and this is the car I’m looking at
  • Greeny: [Can’t find car. Finds Car. Test drive follows]
  • Me: I want to take this car for a real drive. Don’t just take me around the block.
  • Greeny: [gives directions. small talk. He’s been at this for a month, tries really hard to sell me on features that I don’t care about]
It is a long trip around the block, but still only a couple mile drive. We’re back at the dealer. I give the car a really good look over. @Carson would not approve, but it’s good enough for Detroit and me. Given the attention to detail I guess it’s a good thing the engine is from Mexico. I see how everything works, seats fold, how people get in and out, etc. You know, stuff you need to think about with two car seats in the car.
  • Greeny: So did you want to take it for a longer test drive?
  • Me: Yeah sure, why not. [I did say that to begin with..] Get me on a highway so I can open her up.
  • [on highway]
  • Me: Does this thing have that auto breaking? [slams on gas] Will it stop or am I going ram right in to this guy?
  • Greeny: Ugh Ugh Ugh, I’m not sure you should probably brake
  • Me: Yeah, I guess I’ll figure that out on my own
Back at dealer ~1:15 hour in, which I’m ok with since it was my first time checking out the car in depth and testing driving.
  • Me: Ok, let’s talk business. Here’s my number.
  • Greeny: I have to run it by my SM. [exits stage left]
  • Greeny: [presents wrong number]
  • Me: [presents same number]
  • Me: Come back with good news, if you have to leave again this seat will be empty.
  • Greeny: Comes back with SM.
  • SM: This is the best we can do, and we can only do this if you use our financing. And guess what? Our best financing is 1% more than what you already have.
  • Me: These numbers don’t work.
  • SM: [extends hand] I guess we can’t make a deal, too bad, thanks for coming in
  • Me: [this catches me a bit off guard, I haven’t been hit with the sales guy walking away before] Hmm ok. I explain that they have quoted me a few hundred less than their IG, but with more expensive financing, so we are basically exactly where I started when I walked in
Back and forth ensues. We land on the price SM gave me, but with my own financing. We write the number down. I clarify this includes all fees, no BS, just this + the 7% sales tax and I’m out the door. I calculate the price and the price + tax and write it down. They also toss in the all weather mats I request, a minor win for me. Me/SM/Greeny shake hands and have a deal.

Time passes and things move along, slowly. Greeny adds the car to my insurance. I insist they move the thing into prep and fill up the tank so I can leave as soon as possible. A couple highlights:
  • Greeny: I need the credit card your using for the down payment [aside: I have a cash down payment, going for free points on CC]
  • Me: No.
  • Greeny: Its standard procedure. Red flag #2
  • Me: No, you’re not getting anything from me until I have everything in writing in front of me.
  • [time passes]
  • Greeny: The finance guy (FG) want you to fill out our loan app, we just want to get your info. Red flag #3
  • Me: No, I’m not financing through you. You’re getting a check that’s as good as cash.
  • [time passes]
  • FG: Hey, can I get you to fill out this loan app, we might be able to match your rate.
  • Me: Match? No thanks. If you can do significantly better we can talk, but at a few hundredths I’m not interested. [FG walks away]
[time passes, ~3 hours in]
  • Greeny: Ok, we’re all set. Come back to FG’s office.
  • Me: [to Greeny, as we are walking to office] “Watch, this is where I get fucked” [foreshadowing]
  • FG: Here’s your numbers! +~$2000!
  • Me: That wasn’t the deal.
  • FG: Oh but this and that, blah blah blah.
  • Me: Nope, that’s not what I agreed to.
  • FG: Let me check on that. [leaves to talk to sales crew, comes back with Greeny]
  • FG: Oh well its all a bit confusing, let me put in an actual bill of sale for you to lay it all out. There was some miscommunication.
  • Me: No there wasn’t. [I show him the worksheet I had going with Greeny/SM during our back and forth]
  • FG: This is just a number, it doesn’t say what’s included, I don’t see any signatures anywhere
  • Me: You’re kidding me right?
  • FG: Well then I guess we don’t have a deal [puts his hand out, sales guy walk away round #2]
  • Me: [looking at Greeny] WTF man, you were there, we wrote the number down and agreed on terms. [SM had left for the day, which surely didn’t work in my favor at this point]
  • Greeny: [Looks at me, body language says he was there and knew what was agreed on, facial expression say IDK what the F is happening]
  • Me. Ok, well I guess we all just wasted our time.
I probably would have met them in the middle at that point given the time spent. Fine, talk me into MVC fees since someone has to pay them, but the dealer paperwork fees and all that is just nonsense. I also get that I'm taxed on pre-incentive price so my/SM's numbers probably weren't perfect, but they weren't that off. I was around 8k under sticker, and we got there on price before discussing finalizing other terms. Is it possible they just didn’t want the deal given the price and not getting me into a financing agreement?

Oh well, I don’t need a car so there is no rush. Parts of it were fun. I enjoyed the test drive. I got a little more experience under my belt. Though I don’t get the feeling it would have made a difference in this case, the lesson learned was: write out all terms with the sales guy. My mistake, but I didn’t think a deal would fall apart like that.

Feedback is welcome. I may try for a full via email negotiation for round 2. I'm busy for the rest of the weekend so the buy is on hold for now. I have an alternative thought to walk into a dealer, ask for the most senior guy willing to work with me, set a count down at 1 hour, and say go.

Last edited:
I earned a few extra beers tonight, so here's the recap:

The Walkout: Round 1

So I did some diligence, got internet quotes from 6 different dealers. Secured financing. Got insurance quote. I head to Nielsen Dodge. They didn’t give me the lowest quote, but their internet guy (IG) was pretty straight forward and gave me some real numbers. I figure I go there and I’ll start a few hundred below the best quote I got, with my agreeable price being a couple hundred above that quote. IG tells me to ask for sales manager (SM).
  • Park car
  • Text wife, check through my folder of paperwork again, burn a few minutes in the parking lot
  • As I walk through the door, start stopwatch on cell phone for proper record keeping
  • No one greets me
  • I’m in the Jeep section
  • Find Dodge section
  • Stand in the middle, more than 5 minutes have elapsed since I walked through the front door. Not a good sign. Red flag #1
  • Me: [out loud] Who wants to sell me a car?
  • Get the attention of a 20ish year old sales guy at his desk. We’ll call him Greeny.
  • Me: I was told to talk to SM
  • Greeny: Let me find him.
  • Greeny: [runs around, comes back, points] He’s over there [with a customer]
  • Me: [thinks to myself, this will work, I don’t care who I’m dealing with] I’m here to buy a car, do you want to sell me a car?
  • Greeny: Yeah, I'm your guy.
  • [time passes where he gets my license, asks me whats I want, etc.]
  • Me: Here’s the VIN. I already talked to IG and this is the car I’m looking at
  • Greeny: [Can’t find car. Finds Car. Test drive follows]
  • Me: I want to take this car for a real drive. Don’t just take me around the block.
  • Greeny: [gives directions. small talk. He’s been at this for a month, tries really hard to sell me on features that I don’t care about]
It is a long trip around the block, but still only a couple mile drive. We’re back at the dealer. I give the car a really good look over. @Carson would not approve, but it’s good enough for Detroit and me. Given the attention to detail I guess it’s a good thing the engine is from Mexico. I see how everything works, seats fold, how people get in and out, etc. You know, stuff you need to think about with two car seats in the car.
  • Greeny: So did you want to take it for a longer test drive?
  • Me: Yeah sure, why not. [I did say that to begin with..] Get me on a highway so I can open her up.
  • [on highway]
  • Me: Does this thing have that auto breaking? [slams on gas] Will it stop or am I going ram right in to this guy?
  • Greeny: Ugh Ugh Ugh, I’m not sure you should probably brake
  • Me: Yeah, I guess I’ll figure that out on my own
Back at dealer ~1:15 hour in, which I’m ok with since it was my first time checking out the car in depth and testing driving.
  • Me: Ok, let’s talk business. Here’s my number.
  • Greeny: [presents wrong number]
  • Me: [presents same number]
  • Me: Come back with good news, if you have to leave again this seat will be empty.
  • Greeny: Comes back with SM.
  • SM: This is the best we can do, and we can only do this if you use our financing. And guess what? Our best financing is 1% more than what you already have.
  • Me: These numbers don’t work.
  • SM: [extends hand] I guess we can’t make a deal, too bad, thanks for coming in
  • Me: [this catches me a bit off guard, I haven’t been hit with the sales guy walking away before] Hmm ok. I explain that they have quoted me a few hundred less than their IG, but with more expensive financing, so we are basically exactly where I started when I walked in
Back and forth ensues. We land on the price SM gave me, but with my own financing. We write the number down. I clarify this includes all fees, no BS, just this + the 7% sales tax and I’m out the door. I calculate the price and the price + tax and write it down. They also toss in the all weather mats I request, a minor win for me. Me/SM/Greeny shake hands and have a deal.

Time passes and things move along, slowly. Greeny adds the car to my insurance. I insist they move the thing into prep and fill up the tank so I can leave as soon as possible. A couple highlights:
  • Greeny: I need the credit card your using for the down payment [aside: I have a cash down payment, going for free points on CC]
  • Me: No.
  • Greeny: Its standard procedure. Red flag #2
  • Me: No, you’re not getting anything from me until I have everything in writing in front of me.
  • [time passes]
  • Greeny: The finance guy (FG) want you to fill out our loan app, we just want to get your info. Red flag #3
  • Me: No, I’m not financing through you. You’re getting a check that’s as good as cash.
  • [time passes]
  • FG: Hey, can I get you to fill out this loan app, we might be able to match your rate.
  • Me: Match? No thanks. If you can do significantly better we can talk, but at a few hundredths I’m not interested. [FG walks away]
[time passes, ~3 hours in]
  • Greeny: Ok, we’re all set. Come back to FG’s office.
  • Me: [to Greeny, as we are walking to office] “Watch, this is where I get fucked” [foreshadowing]
  • FG: Here’s your numbers! +~$2000!
  • Me: That wasn’t the deal.
  • FG: Oh but this and that, blah blah blah.
  • Me: Nope, that’s not what I agreed to.
  • FG: Let me check on that. [leaves to talk to sales crew, comes back with Greeny]
  • FG: Oh well its all a bit confusing, let me put in an actual bill of sale for you to lay it all out. There was some miscommunication.
  • Me: No there wasn’t. [I show him the worksheet I had going with Greeny/SM during our back and forth]
  • FG: This is just a number, it doesn’t say what’s included, I don’t see any signatures anywhere
  • Me: You’re kidding me right?
  • FG: Well then I guess we don’t have a deal [puts his hand out, sales guy walk away round #2]
  • Me: [looking at Greeny] WTF man, you were there, we wrote the number down and agreed on terms. [SM had left for the day, which surely didn’t work in my favor at this point]
  • Greeny: [Looks at me, body language says he was there and knew what was agreed on, facial expression say IDK what the F is happening]
  • Me. Ok, well I guess we all just wasted our time.
I probably would have met them in the middle at that point given the time spent. Fine, talk me into MVC fees since someone has to pay them, but the dealer paperwork fees and all that is just nonsense. I also get that I'm taxed on pre-incentive price so my/SM's numbers probably weren't perfect, but they weren't that off. I was around 8k under sticker, and we got there on price before discussing finalizing other terms. Is it possible they just didn’t want the deal given the price and not getting me into a financing agreement?

Oh well, I don’t need a car so there is no rush. Parts of it were fun. I enjoyed the test drive. I got a little more experience under my belt. Though I don’t get the feeling it would have made a difference in this case, the lesson learned was: write out all terms with the sales guy. My mistake, but I didn’t think a deal would fall apart like that.

Feedback is welcome. I may try for a full via email negotiation for round 2. I'm busy for the rest of the weekend so the buy is on hold for now. I have an alternative thought to walk into a dealer, ask for the most senior guy willing to work with me, set a count down at 1 hour, and say go.

Good read. This shit is helpful.

Have you tried flemington? Those dealers are so up front and non bullshit, it's like bizzaro world compared to what you went through. Not sure if they have the best price to start with but the experience I had was worth it after dealing with shady fucks at Trend.

@ChrisRU good recap, and as @C8N said I'd be surprised if someone didn't call you by Monday. You might be able to salvage that time spent.

Good read. This shit is helpful.

Have you tried flemington? Those dealers are so up front and non bullshit, it's like bizzaro world compared to what you went through. Not sure if they have the best price to start with but the experience I had was worth it after dealing with shady fucks at Trend.

Agreed with trying Flemington. When I bought my Suburban from them the internet price was several thousand less than anything else I found for the same truck. When I tried to get them to go lower the sales woman just said "I'm sure you shopped around and know our price is much lower, that's as low is it goes, no games." She was right and GM was running .9% financing at the time, so that was a no brainer.

Nice work on the walkout.

I think what they are expecting is that after 3+ hours of nonesense (which is specifically designed to waste your time) people are suckers for the escalating commitment trap. I.e once you've put in that much time and effort and the top of Mt Everest is within view you couldn't possibly turn around and head back to basecamp.

What a stupid process but you can come out way better end the end if you are willing to put up with the nonesense and hold your line.

Few have already said to go out of state to get the best deal if needed. I agree with this but do keep in mind, sometimes there are benefits of going local. One thing that comes to mind is the loaner car during service. Granted not everyone needs this but nonetheless useful. Loaner car service can be a manufacturer service but many a times, it's a dealer thing. For example, Acura is a manufacturer service so you can get a loaner car at any dealer whether you bought the car there or not. But for a Honda, it's a dealer service and most likely will not be getting one if you didn't buy at that particular dealer. What is this worth to you? So factor this in when you make the decision of where to buy.

Also, you lose in the deal if you are not willing to walk away. Glad that you did walk away and don't be afraid to walk away the 2nd or the 3rd and etc should you decide to go back because believe me, car sales people are trained to make follow up calls.

I would be a bit surprised if the SM wasn't pee'd off at the FG for losing the deal. As far as I know, sales and finance dept are independent of each other as far as commissions are concerned.

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!

Dodge and GM and light years ahead of Ford in QC right now. I'm sure I would approve of at least one Durango on the lot!

Typical highway dealership sales tactics. They might call back but round 2 may not look much better. Glad you had fun and thanks for writing it up...I feel like I was along for the ride.

Dealer fees:

Me: Hey you charge $399 for your dealer fee. What's does that entail?
Sales: Well that covers fueling the car, detailing the car, and sending someone to title and register your new car.
Me: Great! Don't fuel it up, don't smear wax on it and buff swirls into it, and I'll title and register it myself. Take it off the deal.
Sales: Uh, we can not fuel it and not detail it, but we have to title and register it.
Me: No problem, take off the fee.
Sales: Well we need to pay the admin to run to MVC.
Me: So let's say it takes he or she 4 hours to do just my car. That includes stopping for lunch, coffee, and three smoke breaks. So you're paying your MVC clerk $100 an hour? Tell you what...fire that person today and I'll start here tomorrow for $50 an hour. Deal?
Sales: Uh....

People love Flemington's dealerships because they are not sketchy. But they absolutely are not the lowest price (on average; maybe on certain vehicles they are). They sell a shitload of cars. People would rather spend a few more bucks than be jerked around. We are all on a first name basis with the owners and GMs and out of 33 guys I work with, maybe 2 or 3 have purchased cars from Flemington dealerships.

Fullerton Ford basically knows they can undercut a Flemington price quote by at least a few hundred and usually it's alot more than that. My lieutenant bought an Explorer at Fullerton and saved $1000 and they paid me a $100 bird dog fee. I can't comprehend why you'd let a deal walk for that kind of money.

My Jetta lease was $206 with $0 out of pocket other than the first month's payment. Flemington was at $260 and let me walk, knowing full well I would service it in Flemington while I was working.

Johnson Dodge in Budd Lake is worth a shot too.

My Dad is the biggest prick when buying.
He has scored 5 deals with them.
I myself have had two very good buying experiences with them also.

Sounds awful. Much prefer cash purchases for used personal cars 1000%.

Hey I'll give you 1G less for the listing price.
Okay.
Done.

Buying my FRS was easy too, but the price was fixed so there was no negotiations, fiance rate came in lower than expected too.
BTW Can we talk more about reasonable and fun car purchasing like this?

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!
giphy.gif

Part 2: The Buy
So this part is pretty uneventful. Since the walkout I’ve been scoping dealer inventory, running a bunch of True Car requests, and emailing back and forth with internet sales reps. This is a slightly annoying but really easy process. Between the true car numbers, the rep pricing, and the internets, you can build a nice sample size of numbers to go off of. Last night at about 6:45pm I decide I’m tired of playing the game. I’m confident my numbers are good. I’ve already been liberated by my first walk out, so I’ve got nothing to lose.
  • Me: [Calls dealer] This VIN# is on your online inventory, do you have it on the lot?
  • Dealer Receptionist: [Checks] It’s actually on our storage lot 30 mins away. Generally we require 2 hour notice to get it, and we close tonight at 9. We do have a selection here blah blah
  • Me: I’m not interested in your selection. Can you get that car there tonight?
  • Dealer Receptionist: [Checks] How quickly can you get here?
  • Me: I’ll be there in 40 mins. The car better be there.
  • Dealer Receptionist: We’re sending someone to get it for you, ask for Sales Manager (SM) when you get here
I get there, ask for SM.
  • Me: Is the car here?
  • SM: It’s on the road now, it will be here in 10 mins.
  • Me: Ok, let’s chat. [sits down with SM] Here are my numbers. [I hand him a piece of paper, with what I’m willing to pay, itemized out, sale price, no fees, rebates I’m eligible for, taxes, out the door price. I tell him I just walked out on another dealer and this isn’t a negotiation]
  • SM: Well, it’s our policy, you have to pay this fee and that fee, etc..
  • Me: No. I don’t care how you slice it, you’ve got my numbers, that’s what I’ll pay.
  • SM: Let me see what I can do [enters numbers into computer, looks some things up. Counters by lowering the vehicle sale price by an additional ~$800 offset their fees]
  • Me: Deal.
It still takes a chunk of time to deal with all the paperwork, go through the financing stuff, etc. But going in with a take it or leave it offer and having no issue walking made it really easy and stress free. SM immediately got on the same page with me. We were there well past closing so it was just us and the janitor. He ended up showing me his order invoice, telling me I got a killer deal and he had nothing left, etc etc. I’m sure they still made their money, but I’m confident I did well without a ton of effort.

Having gone through this I’d definitely follow a similar approach again. Second time around I think it would be even quicker more efficient. Basically what I did:
  1. Blast True Car: There are obviously shenanigans going on with the TC pricing, but even if you’re lazy it’s spitting out numbers under sticker that the dealer will generally honor without any additional effort on your part. I pinged about 20 dealers and got a nice spread of pricing. You also get the internet sales rep contact info. (warning: the dealers also get the contact info you provide, so plan accordingly)
  2. Haggle directly with the Internet Sale rep: Most don’t want to deal, or claim its policy not to email or discuss numbers. I got 2 or 3 that actually gave me itemized pricing with taxes and fees via email. A couple others were ok giving pricing over the phone or via text on their personal phones. Don’t bother with the guys that won’t deal.
  3. Make a spreadsheet: Figure out what numbers seem like they make sense. With current rebates the spread on the Durango was about $5500-8500 below MSRP depending on the dealer. Invoice was pretty meaningless number here, every dealer was way under the invoice pricing I saw. I’m sure the amount of room (if any at all) varies greatly by make and model.
  4. Make the deal: Pick a dealer with the car you want, and go give them an offer you’re comfortable with. Given my learning curve here and how I was a couple days into this, I didn’t go for absolute rock bottom best of any number I’ve seen. I wanted to be done with this so I went in with what I thought was the best price attainable without having to haggle over a few bucks.
I still hate buying cars, and would prefer to buy used, straight cash homie! But with kids and other things going on in life, new has some non-financial benefits. I don’t have the time to wrench on junk boxes anymore. Hopefully some of my experience helps others. Thanks to all that contributed here. There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I appreciate all of the insights.

Back
Top Bottom