Car Buying & Price Negotiating via Email - Thoughts? Stories?

ChrisRU

I'm currently haggling with a few internet sales reps from a few different dealers. It seems fairly convenient so far. I haven't stepped foot in a dealership yet and I've got some real numbers in writing.

I'm hoping that I if I land on something I'm happy with, the actual transaction will be pretty painless and will limit the time spent at the dealer. I know that's probably overly optimistic.

Anyone been down this road? How'd it work out? Any good stories to share, pitfalls to look out for?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I've purchase 3 cars in the last 6-7 yrs so I'm no expert by any means.

Having said that, I've started initial pricing and negotiations via emails but when the dealer came close to the numbers I was looking for, I went into the dealership to show them that I am a serious buyer and not wasting their time.

rlb

I did this in August when we bought a Subaru. We wound up at Ramsey Subaru because they were the most responsive and also had the best price out of other dealers to start. After a little back and forth we settled on a number and went to give a deposit.

I was guarded the whole time at the dealer and through the financial stuff, despite the fact that they reassured me several times they weren't "that kind of dealer". In the end that turned out to be true. All of their numbers matched my calcs and there were no last minute bait and switch type of tactics. I would recommend Ramsey Subaru for anyone looking to get a Subaru.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Crazy to think you can get that far without stepping into a dealership! Keep us updated as we may be buying a new vehicle soon as well. Would love to not spend 6 hours at the dealer because of it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pretty much what I did with my focus, forums (focus fanatics in this case) had a nice database of what everyone was paying, along with true car. I went to a few dealers for some test drives, but I did like 98% of the neg. via emails. Man I remember when I was a kid my dad would be at a dealership for hours, I think I spent a total of maybe 30-60min at the dealer to pick up my car the day it came in. Pretty painless.

ChrisRU

Good feedback so far.

@C8N, it definitely seems like I'm hitting the point where the reps don't want to play ball anymore. Looks like I need to pick one and pay a visit.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Did this with m wife's previous car an Acura MDX from Bridewater. I sent emails to every local Acura dealer and Bridgewater replied with the by far the best offer. He told us what cars were in stock and what was coming in over the next few months. Said $500 CC deposit will hold whichever one she wanted.

When we picked up the car it was 10 minutes, in and out. He explained that at that time, him and one other person sitting with computers in a back office sold more than half of the dealer's cars. He just sends out low no haggle quotes and the deal is done. This was several years back, so things might have changed.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Good feedback so far.

@C8N, it definitely seems like I'm hitting the point where the reps don't want to play ball anymore. Looks like I need to pick one and pay a visit.
The email quotes from other dealerships helps a lot when you actually walk into your chosen dealership. So print them out and take them with you.

I basically walked in and put my down payment on the desk and asked them to meet my numbers.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what are you buying anyway? Minivan? Diesel truck? alfa romeo giulia quadrifoglio?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Did this with my pilot, only time in the dealership was to sign the papers and take the vehicle home.

ChrisRU

@Carson, meet me there and check the panel gaps for me? Last dealership experience left my wife in tears, so I'll be solo this time. I have no problem getting spirited with sales peoples.

Looking at a V8 Durango. I've been going back and forth on getting one for over a year, I may actually pull the trigger this time. Its the only thing out there that offers capable towing and a third row without stepping up to a Tahoe/Yukon etc.

Reactions: rlb

w_b

We had ok experience using TrueCar.com for a Sienna. After a test drive and while F2F at the dealer, we mentioned our offer price and he asked "how'd you get that number?" We told him, and he just about said "Aw Fawk" under his breath. The look on his face as he deep sighed and averted his eyes was priceless. You'd think we had just ripped his kids' college education and his summer vacation right out from under him. Then he pulled up the vehicle on his PC, like we were lying to him. Nope.

It definitely saved time, however we still had to listen to 5 different dealerpeeps unsuccessfully try to sell us an extended warranty. Yeah, right. If I said no to the 4 previous jukers, why would I say yes now?

Wood use again.

olegbabich

Last truck I got, we asked dealers to contact us with Out the Door $$ and the list of all current rebates that are applied the the $$.

(I do not qualify for Military or College Grad credits.)

I asked to be contacted by E Mail only. Most of them still called my house.

True Car is OK, but I think dealers pay up to $300 to True Car if they sell the car to a customer from their site. So you can do better than True Car. I did. :)

Expand your range - we ended up buying the truck in South Jersey, almost 1.5 hrs away. But we saved over $400.

The best price came from Edmund"s vehicle search. I'm sure dealer still has to pay Edmund"s for the reference.

I would do all 4: True Car, KBB, Edmund"s and contact Internet Sales Associates at the local dealerships.

We still ended up waiting for a couple of hours to get all paperwork done, but we had a 3hr round trip, so that was OK.

Good Luck.

Blair

You do any test drives? Depending on the year some come with warranties, etc so good to be close to the dealer. If I knew exactly what I wanted I would do the online thing. If a 3rd kid are in the realm of possibility and you want to try a suburban let me know.

walter

Fourth Party
when I bought my mazda I printed out all the emails I got from the different dealers, then I went to my closest Mazda dealer. He started giving me the run around and it wasn't until I unfolded all 6 emails and layed them in front of him and said "one of these dealers will get my business, Im giving you first dibs", that's when he caved. Got the exact price I wanted to the penny. Don't sign a damn thing until you are sure its the number you want.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Had a really crappy experience buying my van from freehold kia. Price was nowhere near the email discussion, then got it back down and they tacked on ridiculous fees.... like 2 grand worth. Sales manager was a jerk too.

This past summer however I had the exact opposite experience buying my truck from a dealer in OH. We negotiated a price I was happy with and they even worked hard to beat special financing rates that I was getting through my credit union. Picked me up at the airport, went for a test drive, and they had the paperwork 90% done, knowing I had a long drive home they didn't want to waste my time.

Top Bottom