Can't we do better than this?

jpn

The past six months have been very wet. I had shoulder surgery last May so 2018 was a real dud for me in terms of riding.

I'm itching for the weather to either get cold again or dry out so I can get into the woods. Meantime I am just happy to ride mtb on roads
KIMG0207.jpg
to get some conditioning for spring.

I went by Dickerson Mine today from canfield ave and figured I'd see how wet it is. I was 90% sure it would be too wet. It was.
KIMG0212.jpg

Apparently bunch of other riders didn't care. I walked a very short section of White and took photos.

I am so grateful for the work Jason and Marc and many others have done in this park. Ditto for all you trail makers and maintainers in other parks.

I just don't get this.

Can't we do better?

rick81721

Lothar
I just don't get this.

Can't we do better?

Apparently not. People either have no clue they are damaging trails or don't care. The only thing that seems to work is physically closing trails via signs and warning tape. It seems to work @ Nassau but that is the only NJ park I am aware of that does/can do it. Is it even possible in county and state parks? They also do it down here in our county preserves.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Dont know actual stats so I'll take a guess:
90% are just negligent and dont know any better
7% kinda know but dont care or "trails fix themselves. What's the big deal?"
2.9% know and wish people would be nicer to the trails in wet conditions
0.1% know and show up to trail maintenance (this number may be too high)

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Apparently if you have a fat bike, you don't do any damage or leave any ruts (except for bigger ones) because hey, these conditions are what they were made for right?

This time of year you just need to suck it up and hit the road or the gym, do something different for a while.

Xler8

And meanwhile an ambassador to the sport talks about “riding in the mud”... go figure.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And meanwhile an ambassador to the sport talks about “riding in the mud”... go figure.

Do you know glen park?
I saw one tiny squish in that whole segment. His bike also was not muddy as in caked mud. I know the terrain there and pretty hard to beat those trails up, much different then low lying trail system. I was more offended by his ride partner's juvenile skidding.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Apparently if you have a fat bike, you don't do any damage or leave any ruts (except for bigger ones) because hey, these conditions are what they were made for right?

This time of year you just need to suck it up and hit the road or the gym, do something different for a while.

....or take the fattie to the beach.
08782F7E-D39F-4142-8CEB-DC3F7D6256C3.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
looks like the hook was spared the rain last night.

Fatduke

Dont know actual stats so I'll take a guess:
90% are just negligent and dont know any better
7% kinda know but dont care or "trails fix themselves. What's the big deal?"
2.9% know and wish people would be nicer to the trails in wet conditions
0.1% know and show up to trail maintenance (this number may be too high)

Brainstorm here: what if we of the 3% prepare an informational pamphlet (one printed page, folded in thirds) that is distributed to all the bike shops, and ask them to put a stack of them on their counter, or wherever else they display free literature. The front page, which customers could see regardless of whether they actually pick up the pamphlet, would need to have a disturbing picture (like what @jpn posted) and a big bold one-liner that captures the core message. This may not change the 7%ers, but no doubt that it would increase awareness among the ignorant ignorant 90%. Perhaps it could be under the banner of JORBA or MTBNJ? If there's interest, I'm happy to take a swipe at drafting and will help implement.

Frank

Sasquatch
Brainstorm here: what if we of the 3% prepare an informational pamphlet (one printed page, folded in thirds) that is distributed to all the bike shops, and ask them to put a stack of them on their counter, or wherever else they display free literature. The front page, which customers could see regardless of whether they actually pick up the pamphlet, would need to have a disturbing picture (like what @jpn posted) and a big bold one-liner that captures the core message. This may not change the 7%ers, but no doubt that it would increase awareness among the ignorant ignorant 90%. Perhaps it could be under the banner of JORBA or MTBNJ? If there's interest, I'm happy to take a swipe at drafting and will help implement.

First off....you rock dude...excellent post.

Check with @Bleeder and @KenS on this as it has been a discussion for a long time.

JDurk

Clipped from Camden County Riders FB page, posted yesterday. The trail system has seen a significant increase in riders over the last few years. Mostly flat and sandy, but even spots that were always good day after are staying damp longer. Pics below are a newer trail and see more run-off.

CCC.JPG

Dajerseyrat

The past six months have been very wet. I had shoulder surgery last May so 2018 was a real dud for me in terms of riding.

I'm itching for the weather to either get cold again or dry out so I can get into the woods. Meantime I am just happy to ride mtb on roadsView attachment 87256 to get some conditioning for spring.

I went by Dickerson Mine today from canfield ave and figured I'd see how wet it is. I was 90% sure it would be too wet. It was.
View attachment 87257
Apparently bunch of other riders didn't care. I walked a very short section of White and took photos.

I am so grateful for the work Jason and Marc and many others have done in this park. Ditto for all you trail makers and maintainers in other parks.

I just don't get this.

Can't we do better?
You think that's bad? You should see Six mile run...

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Come March and April, it’s going to get even worse when thaw is consistent over many weeks, particularly in flat or low lying trail systems. Like @Fatduke ’s idea. Only suggestion is that we direct the message to ALL trail users...bikers, horses, hikers, runners, dog walkers. While our kind are definitely guilty, we want to avoid the perception that we are the only culprits. Soft trails are soft trails, regardless of who or what is on them. Happy to help with editing and distribution.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG

Great stuff. JORBA is always looking for assistance in developing marketing materials. If you would like to drop a line to get involved, please hit up ken(at)jorba.org. Thank you!

Top Bottom