Can I get a freakin race report?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome stuff. Keep the reports coming for this race and the rest of the season.

A well written race recap is always good reading regardless of the outcome or category. Actually, in many ways recaps from 4/5 races are the best. Masters racing is very much like waiting in line at the DMV—grab your number and proceed in an orderly manner to the counter—and the reports read that way.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This rawks. Promise to have something (read: nothing of substance) to post after next weekend. Very excited to see this in person, and possibly barf on you. Congrats to everyone lining up for the first time this year. And for those of you returning, what the f*ck is wrong with you?

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nittany, or the race I swore I wouldn’t do. And then I did it.

Summer cx racing sucks. It just does. Skinsuits with short sleeves are another punch in the wallet. And heatstroke is no effing fun.

This weekend was my first time racing in a while. I did two races, poorly, last year, but those were more for gits and shiggles. This weekend was the first of what looks to be a fairly full racing calendar that’ll wrap up in Louisville at Nationals.

I’ve forgotten most of what I knew. Happily, that wasn’t much.

@Norm and I have been burning whale oil pretty regularly all year (he more than me, but I’m hangin’ in there, baby), so there’s a bit of a base in the engine room. Not much, but mebbe enough to get through a race.

Edwin at Van Dessel Cycles repurposed some scaffolding into bicycle shaped objects, then painted them and sent them out to play with me. The builds are not exactly ground-up, but I’m using SRAM for the first time on the A bike. The B bike is still Shimano. That should be fun, should I have to flip bikes mid-race.

IMG_20180914_163145732.jpg

Oh, and he put a hole in one, so I did something silly.

Day before Nittany Day 1, I finally had the A bike ready to go, so off to the Tourne to make dumb spirals in the grass. Bike felt super solid. Way snappier than the now-retired Kona, and way less harsh. The SRAM took a bit of doing to get to used to, but it’s pretty intuitive. At least at low speeds on a Thursday. And the dropper was just a f*cking blast! Right now it’s a goof, but…

Day of – Racing at 11:30 in the Masters 50+ means a relatively mellow morning. Get there at 9ish, park in the upper grass lot facing the straight-way. Lots of familiar faces. Lovely bunch of folks, each and every one. Got two pre-rides in. The early morning mud looked to be drying out pretty quickly, so I didn’t feel like too much of a chump for just bringing one set of wheels. One day on the tubeless Schwalbe X-Ones wasn’t enough to get a good feel for them, and I had zero idea what pressure I wanted. By feel, I tried to dial ‘em in just enough to get me through the still-wet corners in the woods without folding in the fast chicanes. Day one, lucked into the right combo (30f/32r for the nerds).

Lined up 6th row left side. One down from the gearing I’d use for a front or second row start. No way we were gonna be crisp back there. Left side was stupid, as it was the pinch when the course doubled back on itself. Duh. Happily, the early season 50 yard crash was in the middle of the field. Skirted that one. The first sharp uphill hit a Claymore that spilt opened it up a bit and then we settled in for the first lap idiocy. Lots of dive bombing and yelling. By the we got through the mud pit, the silliness had quieted down and the racing started.

I ate a proffered grape. (And was berated for not taking it from the guy's fingers with my mouth. F*ck you hipster.)
I didn’t eat it over the barriers.

Straightaways were tough. That’s just power, but I did myself no favors in the corners. Too much braking meant I had to burn tiny matches constantly. Which is what I get for not spending the time on the tires. I started to trust them halfway through, but by that time when I shook the box, I could hear mebbe one match.

Gut it out, and sure enough 45 minutes will pass.
it did. 35th. 2 minutes out of the real-racer bracket and 4+ off the leaders. Meh.

nittany day 1.jpg

The bike was awesome, and the SRAM shifters felt purty dang good. Which from a lifelong Shimano guy...

Hung out and yelled at folks, spun down with the Finkraft kids for a bit, headed out. (My idiot plan of using the Kreitlers to warm down was stymied by the grass. Duh.)

Left my suntan lotion on the windshield and it flew off as I got onto 100 headed back. Stopped and looked for it. No luck.

Drove back on 22 to 517 to whatever to avoid the 78/287 boredom. Lovely.

Tried to keep drinking water and not eating like an asshole on Saturday night. Partial success!

Day 2 – up and kinda rested. Another nice morning. Parked in the lower lot so I could use the rollers. File that under dumb f*cking ideas. Rollers aren’t fun when you want to look at stuff and talk to people. Also, when you’re at 30 psi, you bounce. Not confidence inspiring. Sigh.

The quest for a thru axle warmup machine that isn’t $400 continues.

Got a pre ride in. Tires were squirrely, though the dirt was tacking up nicely, almost minute by minute as the thermometer climbed. Shot the shit with @Magic and Tatiana, saw some folks, hung with @taylor185 and his pal Brian (of the newly acquired @xc62701 Cannondale). Justin’s gonna get upgraded soon. Winning the 4s in MAC races will do that. Those are serious fields. I’m sorry I missed that race. Note to self: get up early you lazy bastard.

While we chatted, I tried to figger my tire pressure for the day. Ended up running 29f/30r.

Decided to skip the second pre-ride and get myself together with some 40+ Masters race-reckon (mud pit, stairs, off camber). Nice racing up front, too.

Suddenly, there were 20 minutes to go. And it was hot. Oppressively hot. Skip the race hot. But I’m not that smart. Slammed two bottles of Nuun and a sleeve of GU Blocks. (I was gonna be bleeding electrolytes…) lIned up 5th row and got serious.
This time I went left on purpose, knowing we were going counter clockwise. Right into the mud pits. First one was ridable, but not first lap. The second was a runner all day long. No crashes through the straightaway, mud pit survived and BAM, two guys in 10 yards.
That broke us up nicely. I skirted em both again and lucked into a little group. Which shelled me a lap later, leaving me dangling equidistant between my erstwhile companions and a pretty coherent group coming up on me. Stayed away for a lap, but being out there like that was taking it’s toll. I wanted a wheel. Also, that’s when we got the lap card. 3 to go. I felt like bad diner bacon at that point. I just wanted to be scraped off the stove and binned. No such luck. I kept on keeping on, and the group behind me broke up. Two solo strong guys went though on lap four. I was able to hitch my wagon to them and hang for a bit by a) not braking through the corners and b) pedaling really really hard. The HR was lower than yesterday, but the shivers I was having presaged heat stroke so I tried to race a bit smarter and let them drive. That worked for a while.

IMG953752.jpg

(@Magic took this!)

Lap five, and I was in a group of four. Weirdly I was riding them off my wheel in the upper chicanes. Not usually a strength. Conversely, they were right there on the long stretches. Kept switching til folks started making mistakes on the last lap. I slid through a coupla corners and had to watch that I didn’t start my accelerations too early coming out of apex’s as my rear was underinflated and would fold a bit. That kept me smart, so mebbe was a good thing.

I got the last man standing on the downhill straight and kept him behind me through the chicanes near the finish drop. He’d always gunned this one corner, so I knew it was coming. Sure enough, click click mashing sound. But I’d already started sprinting like it was the finish and kept him behind me going into the finish drop. Stayed ahead across the line. And won! Which is a total and complete lie.
25th.

nittany day 2.jpg

Despite the heat, a much more pleasant race. Mostly because my brain was involved a bit. I didn’t even notice we’d done 6 laps. That’s a lot. I cried a little when I heard. But that was ok ‘cause I was showering with Richard Sachs at that point. Nittany has showers. Which is great if you wanna get your core temp down. And Richard brings his soap.

Hung for a bit. Ate burgers and a hot dog and watched regular people do amazing things.

Took another long way home, which was super-pretty. (After stopping in 100 to find my suntan lotion. And 3/8th inch driver!)

I don’t hate Nittany. As much. I miss the log-over though. And that one year without the barriers? Excelsior!

Tomorrow will have zero bike in it. Or not.

Next stops: Town Hall and Bridgeton

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@seanrunnette, did you use the dropper in corners? I would think that it would actually be useful in cx.
Congrats on 1st wknd of racing, u didn't die and the bike looks boss.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@pooriggy Yessir. Not the chicanes or the big sweepers. That may come, but right now there are some limiters. I don't have a good sense of the lever feel. The converted SRAM lever is fine, but vague compared to the mtb stuff. The dropper is also one of the infinite ones, so if I sit too hard, I'm all the way down. On the mtb, shaving a half inch off is often all I need. I have to find that spot consistently. But in cx you only have a half a second to do anything but pilot and breathe, so I did those instead. Mostly.
I DID run it in the rooty woods section behind the upper ballfields. And it was boss! I was able to hit the three corners way harder than usual. I did go too low a coupla times, which wasn't optimal, but on balance, this gave me hope that this could work.
The only real limiter is operator skill. I'm soooo maxxed during these races that adding another element is sometimes too much to process. But I has droppah happies. Really looking forward to it on the downill at Town Hall and at Bubble.

joemundi

One day on the tubeless Schwalbe X-Ones wasn’t enough to get a good feel for them, and I had zero idea what pressure I wanted. By feel, I tried to dial ‘em in just enough to get me through the still-wet corners in the woods without folding in the fast chicanes. Day one, lucked into the right combo (30f/32r for the nerds).

Great race recap, and nice to see you out there on day 1! Thanks for cheering me on the first lap and a half, until you passed me, with almost everyone else in the field. Man, not passing one person is depressing! o_O

Question: I am on tubeless this year too, and seemed to be getting thrown around when I hit the rooty section in the woods. Does that mean pressure too high? Or is it that I am a roadie who just can’t handle the roots?!?

Look forward to being passed by you again soon...

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great race recap, and nice to see you out there on day 1! Thanks for cheering me on the first lap and a half, until you passed me, with almost everyone else in the field. Man, not passing one person is depressing! o_O

Question: I am on tubeless this year too, and seemed to be getting thrown around when I hit the rooty section in the woods. Does that mean pressure too high? Or is it that I am a roadie who just can’t handle the roots?!?

Look forward to being passed by you again soon...
You usually want to run just a little more pressure on a rooty course then not, mostly to prevent bottoming out and flatting. Were the roots slick on Saturday too? A cross tire doesn't have much contact patch to begin with, but going over those roots in the singletracky section at speed and on a turn will certainly throw you around a bit. Try to go over roots straight on rather than at an angle, and if you have to go over at an angle, unweight the bike and let it do what it's gotta do under you.

joemundi

You usually want to run just a little more pressure on a rooty course then not, mostly to prevent bottoming out and flatting. Were the roots slick on Saturday too? A cross tire doesn't have much contact patch to begin with, but going over those roots in the singletracky section at speed and on a turn will certainly throw you around a bit. Try to go over roots straight on rather than at an angle, and if you have to go over at an angle, unweight the bike and let it do what it's gotta do under you.

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice; the roots were a little slick. I probably was hitting them at an angle. Or, too cross-eyed to see them!

Need to get off-road more on the CX bike. Think I could ride Lewis Morris on a CX bike?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for taking the time to offer advice; the roots were a little slick. I probably was hitting them at an angle. Or, too cross-eyed to see them!

Need to get off-road more on the CX bike. Think I could ride Lewis Morris on a CX bike?
Patriots Path... LewMo is all roots. You will flat there, and that just plain sucks.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does that mean pressure too high?
Joe! So good to see you out there dood. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. (See what I did there?) If you were feeling a bit of rim when you were on the roots, you were where you need to be. If you don't have at least one moment of "did I just dent my rim?" per race, you're running too much pressure. And I'm only being partly fascetious. Basically you wanna get to the point between what would have been a pinch flat and folding/burping the tire in a corner. It's a tough thing to find. Start paying very close attention to tire pressure. Once you've found that sweet spot, set it and forget it.

SSmtbr

Nittany Sunday - Cat 4/5

Prologue - Had a bad case of cross hangover Monday and Tuesday last week so I took my time to recover and had a strong workout on Thursday and two moderate workouts on Wednesday and Saturday leading up to Sunday's race. During our indoor devo training session I couldn't help but notice my bars were crooked with no explanation. I go to adjust the stem and found one of the stem's mounting bolt threads were stripped "FFFF!" Since it was Saturday afternoon I had no choice but to salvage my road bike stem which is -17 and 90mm opposed to my cross stem of -6 100mm. Shorter and lower! Mounted the PDXs on my other wheelset and managed to have two days of rail trail grinding and playing around the park but nothing at race pace or aggressive to test its limits.

Race day - Wow it was foggy coming in and the course was just as bad for our pre-ride. Soft ground all over and stayed that way for the full 8am race. Line up 3rd row and nail the start. I can hammer out a start no problem, but when the pack starts closing in around each other I go into panic mode and it didn't help that the short straight prologue narrowed about 100 feet from the line pinching the group tighter. Fortunately I didn't really lose any position into the mud pits where it turned into a nice jog through the first left-hander pit followed by a short uphill and down into the huge mud pit. There was a single rut that I heard was ridden by a few teammates but I kept the high line and ran each time. Course is a little slippery on the burnt in sections from the fog and condensation of the morning but grass was found each turn. Most of the pack is still fairly close together to the short and steep uphill where chaos ensues. Me and another guy take the far right line up and over a small stump and clear it, passing a good 10 riders jammed up in the pileup on the left line.

The rest of the first lap was spent developing more trust in the PDXs and gradually becoming more aggressive and getting comfortable leaning the bike over more around the twisty section in the upper part of the course. Hit the steep downhill just before the finish a little too wide and fast, felt the rear wheel lift a little (I'll chalk that up to the low stem pitching my weight over the front more) and nearly took out a stake and tape but no one was any the wiser of my sphincter-tightening moment and I powered through for lap 1. Approaching the mud pit a second time around I welcome a short moment to dismount and stretch the lower back. Mount back up and work towards the basketball court when I hear this awful noise of brakes dragging. Not mine, but someone within attacking distance. I'm known for fully stripping down a bike if I hear a single tick or creak so I decided to burn a match and pass this guy to save my sanity for the rest of the race. I hope he gets it sorted out and he's alright mentally because he toughed it out for the whole 40+ minutes!

Hitting the twisties up top each lap I get more fluid in my turns and sticking to grass as much as possible. I'm still having a hard time fighting the urge of taking the lemming lines vs the better line with more traction. One day I hope to move out of lemming territory! Come through and see 2 laps to go. Cool, I can do this! Uneventful 3rd lap for the most part with some of the 40+ coming by with @taylor185 up in front (congrats on the win!). I yell out a few words of encouragement and get back to my own grind. I pass through the finish line and see..."2 to go"??? Shit...I'm not sure at this point if I'm more concerned that I have two laps to go and the symptoms of cross back is in full force and I'm going to have to walk it out or I'm going to get lapped #cat5probs. I catch a second wind and begin battling it out with a few guys the next lap and can hear the bell ringing from the upper twisties. I push a bit harder down to the finish and see the 1 to go and get the bell. I'm stoked at this point to have survived to make it on the lead lap #cat5victory. Still keeping the hammer down on the 5th lap to catch anyone who has blown up and manage to catch a solo rider but at this point everything's pretty spread out. Power through the finish feeling ecstatic after last week's shitshow.

Received a heckle from the announcer on my "chainsaw cassette". Currently running a 42 chainring with 11-36...is it that large? I'm on the fence to going with a proper 11 speed setup and my whole CX build has been a hodgepodge of spare mtb and road parts aside from a new Rival 1 rear derailleur. Also, I somehow missed the hors d'oeuvres handups on a silver platter? Kinda bummed about that.

Lap times - 9:40; 9:36; 10:12; 10:12; 10:09 - Not fast by any means but overall I'm fairly happy about my consistency compared to last week where I bled a minute and a half each lap. I still have some work to do to gain more power in the straights but also find small moments to recover to get those later lap times closer to the first two laps.

Clean up and watch the rest of the races go off with the Jalapeno team and become jealous as the fog burns away under the increasingly scorching sun and the course dries out. Definitely inspiring to see fitness and racing skills of the more experienced categories. I'm loving the vibe of cross, the heckles, cheers, cowbells, and post-race beer.

Thanks for sticking out my newbie race report (that's likely been a few paragraphs too long). In the chaos of the morning fog and lining up I missed @vanseggern1...Maybe next week? Next up is Bridgeton on Sunday racing straight up 5s.

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nittany Day 2 Masters 40+ 4/5 Race Recap. Or, how to sandbag.

Registration snafu had me in the masters 40+ 4/5 race so I'll gladly accept the new nickname, "sandbagger". I won't bore you with the full details but it is what it is.

Cross' newest and biggest fan, Bryan, had so much fun at Whirlybird last week that he was up for joining me at Nittany. It's about a 90 minute trip so I grabbed Bryan around 5:30am. He's right around the block and I already had his bike which made for an easy pick up. Bryan was out late the night before seeing Paul Simon with his better half so he was a touch groggy. A quick pre-launch equipment check averted a "I forgot my shoes" disaster.

Outside of some dense fog on 78 and a Google Maps glitch, it was an uneventful drive. Lot of good conversation.

My general MO is to allow for a lot pre-race time. I don't like to be rushed, i'm a planner, I have my routine and I like to pre-ride a number of laps. This was the second weekend in a row where we were scrambling a bit which put a cramp in my routine and cost a full pre-ride. Such is life. Roll with it.

Hit the bathroom, then I grabbed my number while Bryan registered. We returned to the car and kitted up all while chatting with @Magic . We then hit the course for pre-ride. We rode about 3/4 of the course prior to being called to staging. It was slick and muddy with a lot of fog hanging in the air.

I downed a SIS Isotonic Energy Gel (these are great, btw. no water needed) as the 4/5s were called up. Masters were then called and I was slotted second row, far right.

4/5's go off and after 1 minute, we get the go. I clipped in cleanly (surprisingly), got on the gas and moved to 2nd, maybe 3rd by the time we hit the muddy section. At that point we started to catch the back of the 4/5 group so it was hard for me to keep places straight. Leaving the muddy sections and entering the field, I stepped on the gas and moved to what I thought was 1st place.

I started moving through the back of the 4/5's, trying my best to avoid traffic and make clean passes.

I really failed in this area. I repeatedly got too close in some of the corners and barriers and lost time and energy in the process. I need to be better about giving room to those in the back of the field, and looking for smarter areas to pass. One of these mistakes lead me to collide with another rider and I dropped a chain. I stopped, threw it back on and got back on the gas.

Once you return to the start/finish area you take a hard right and ride up a short, steep hill. This was backed up on the first lap so I had to stop at the top, let some of the traffic move and then step back on the gas to make some passes before hitting the single track.

I continued moving through the back of the 4/5's and trying my best to make clean turns in the tape farm located in the field above the start/finish area.

I lost some more time sliding out my rear wheel on the first off camber downhill. (insert more pre-ride required).
IMG_0006.JPG

(photo credit to T and Magic)

I completed lap 1 without a clear understanding of my gap over 2nd. I thought I heard 20 secs in the upper field but wasn't certain. My goal was to settle down, be smart and try my best to catch the 4/5 leaders.

Laps 2, 3 and 4 were pretty much copy & paste of lap 1. I continued to pass 4/5 riders, working hard to be smooth and smart in how I passed. Somewhere (maybe lap 3) I picked up a stick close to the barriers that knocked my chain off the front ring once again. Quick dismount, fix and I was back on it.

IMG_0005.JPG

On the last lap I started to close in on some of the front top 10ish (guessing here) of the 4/5s. Back in the tape farm above the start/finish area I came up to a a motivated 4/5 rider who was not keen on letting me pass. I announced myself as a masters racers, but he responded "we're racing" and that he needed to see my number to prove I was a masters rider. I said something smart, hit the gas and showed him my number. We finished the race in close succession and talked through our little disagreement. I'm probably wrong here and too polite but if someone's coming through with a head of steam, I'm going to do my best to let them pass. If it's close to the finish, it's one thing. But if there's a lot of race left and it's obvious the person will over take me, why stand in their way?

Back to the race. Crossed the line in 1st, cooled down for a few minutes on course and then circled back to connect with Magic and Bryan.

Podium, washed bikes, cleaned up, chatted with @seanrunnette and then hit the road.

All-in-all, a good day. Lots to learn to improve my cross skills-- specifically being smooth and clean.

Bridgeton next week. Yesterday's results gives me enough points to upgrade so I'll be in the Cat 3 race.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@ChrisG @jShort Hmm. Gonna do a lil dive on this. So I'd need another rear wheel to swap out for the warm up. KInda old school, but not in a bad way. Those things worked. It'd be so ironic if I ended up with another shitty fluid trainer after all this. No worries about it walking away. No one knows what they are anymore. Thanks guys. More anon.

vanseggern1

Great job @SSmtbr! I got to the start line on the late side and was in the 40+ group. After the race, I asked a couple guys in Jalopeno jerseys if they were you, but they were not. Now I know to look for the beard too. I must have missed seeing Bridgeton on Bikereg because I have my filter set to pick up all races within 100 miles, but it looks like Bridgeton is 104 which is why I didn't see it. I ended up signing up for Town Hall on Saturday as a result.

Congrats again on the win, @taylor185, awesome work!

Top Bottom